Let's Get Norm Johnson Into Ring Of Honor

heavywoody

Reaction score
Not only is Norm Johnson far and away the all-time leading scorer in Seattle Seahawks history, but he is the 10th leading scorer in NFL history. It's time to put Norm Johnson where he rightfully belongs, which is in the Seahawks Ring Of Honor.

This page is your forum to voice your support to get Norm Johnson, "Mr. Automatic", elected to the Seahawks Ring Of Honor.

Voice your support; share this page with other like-minded Seahawks fans and let the powers to be know how many of us out here believe that Norm is long overdue to have his name added with other Seahawks greats.

https://www.facebook.com/normjohnsonseahawksringofhonor

Barthawk

Reaction score
I disagree. The ROH is for the best of the best Seahawks players. Not players who happened to be on the team for 10+ years etc.

The only players that I can think of that belong in there in the near future are Hasselbeck and Shaun. Holmgren deserves to be put in there too.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Barthawk":1oddl4lf said:
I disagree. The ROH is for the best of the best Seahawks players. Not players who happened to be on the team for 10+ years etc.

The only players that I can think of that belong in there in the near future are Hasselbeck and Shaun. Holmgren deserves to be put in there too.

Really?
After almost 40 years, being the highest scoring Seahawk.
Maybe I'm too soft. :)
Just curious, how you feel about Ray Guy in the HOF?

JGreen79

Reaction score
In 10 years in Seattle his fg% was under 70% not good enough imo for a kicker to be in the ring of honor. In half the time Todd Peterson and Josh Brow were only 255 points behind but kicked 80%

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
pmedic920":1zrnob2u said:
Barthawk":1zrnob2u said:

Really?
Ray Guy was the greatest punter in NFL history. If Norm Johnson were the greatest kicker in NFL history then he'd deserve to be in the ROH (and HOF). As it is he was a solid kicker for a number of years for a middling franchise. Being the Seahawks' all-time leader in points doesn't mean a whole lot when you consider the context. That's comparable to being the all-time leader in free throw shooting for the Sacramento Kings.

pmedic920

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2943kml2 said:
pmedic920":2943kml2 said:
Barthawk":2943kml2 said:

Really?
Ray Guy was the greatest punter in NFL history. If Norm Johnson were the greatest kicker in NFL history then he'd deserve to be in the ROH (and HOF). As it is he was a solid kicker for a number of years for a middling franchise. Being the Seahawks' all-time leader in points doesn't mean a whole lot when you consider the context. That's comparable to being the all-time leader in free throw shooting for the Sacramento Kings.

I would argue that our ROH is not for the rest of the NFL. It is for honoring Seahawks.
Regardless of the Hawks records during his era NJ is still the all time scorer to this date. IMO that's honorable.
It's just my opinion and I can understand why you don't agree.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Barthawk":2lua776v said:
:13:

Tical21

Reaction score
I would bet the leading scorer for most teams isn't in their "Ring of Honor" or have their jersey retired or anything like that.

halfrack

Reaction score
Mr. Automatic not worthy? How many of you naysayers were around to see him play? I was, and I remember when the game was on the line, Norm would come in and the shouts of "NORM" would be deafening. He would then kick the fieldgoal and we would win. You just knew he'd make it. IMHO he IS worthy.

kearly

Reaction score
I can't really comment on Norm Johnson, but I would say that if Steven Hauschka stays as good as he is now and has a 15+ year career in Seattle, I'd be more than fine with putting him in the Ring of Honor. Good players that help the team win games and Championships should be in, regardless of where they play.

drdiags

Reaction score
I can remember many a game where Norm Johnson had to come on to win it. Depends on what you think a Ring Of Honor is supposed to show. Is it about the elite of the organization or about helping the team along the way establish a rich history.

I would vote to put him in the ROH. I know folks like our former poster Warner had a pretty high standard for what type of players made it into the ROH. In my mind, NJ was part of the history of the Knox-era Seahawks. Not enough blue in the blood for the elitist but would not back down from the big boys. I guess NJ is like Efren H, though Efren is more a Dallas Cowboy in my mind than a Patera Seahawk (he did make Monday Night appearances fun though).

themunn

Reaction score
Barthawk":2eq3sjdl said:

I wholly disagree, any player that makes it with a team 10 years will always have enough contribution to the team that he deserves to be honoured (for what it's worth, Johnson only had 8).

The list of Seahawks players with 10 years tenure is a short one:

Cortez Kennedy
Walter Jones
Steve Largent
Marcus Trufant
Mack Strong
Jacob Green
Dave Krieg
Dave Brown

That's all I can think of.

Only Mack and Trufant aren't already in the ROH, and I'd argue both have every right to be there.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I liked Norm a lot... and he was steady-Eddy... but RoH?... I don't think so... I don't believe that it's a borderline situation either.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Longevity doesn't merit a ROH spot, true greatness does. And Norm Johnson was not a great kicker - he was a solid average one. Nothing more, nothing less. His career % was under 77% - a middling figure - and even in his best season - which wasn't even with the Seahawks (Pittsburgh in 1995), he missed 7 of his 41 attempts, which by today's standards would get you waived by most teams. Steve Hauschka is a better kicker right now than Norm Johnson ever was (and so was Josh Brown).

HawkWow

Reaction score
pmedic920":14nu9lop said:
I don't do FB but agree he deserves a spot. :{)

Same here. Norm was great and forever a part of Hawk lore. Get him in!

We've been blessed with some damn good kickers. Probably none better than the one we have today. Same goes for Ryan. This roster is filled with future ROH guys, IMO.