too drunk to pay attention to offensive line play...

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Was hoping you guys could shed some light on the offensive line and how they did last night. I was a little too inebriated to really pay attention to the small details that I usually would look for in a preseason game. Was the offensive line as dominant as the other phases of the game?

RussJames

Reaction score
Personally, I thought they killed it. Carp is finally showing some of that 1st rounder potential. Bailey almost always beat his man and has been very impressive filling in for Okung. Sweezy is looking like the pro bowl caliber guard that Russell said he'd be. I didn't watch much of Jeanpierre but assume he was adequate because he was largely unnoticeable (good thing for OL). Britt got beat a couple times with speed rush and it seems to be his one glaring weakness. Practicing against Avril week-in week-out should help alleviate that. Otherwise I think Britt was decent.

Once Okung is back I'd like to see Bailey in the competition for the RT spot. Really think he can challenge Britt and Winston for that starting spot.

As for the 2nd and 3rd string OL; I didn't watch anyone specifically but they seemed to do fine. It's actually a pretty veteran group with Davis, Winston, and Schilling all combining for a total of 264 games played in.

Mind you the San Diego front 7 is absolutely nothing compared to the front 7s of the NFC West. The real challenge for the OLine has yet to come, but for the moment, things seem pretty rosy.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bailey was eh. He definately needs another season or two get a handle on the position and experience to all different types of pass-rushers. Plus build up his strength and conditioning to more tackle than guard.

Carpenter imo from what I've now seen and heard, had a much stellar game than most give him credit for on these boards. Guy was handling business all game in the running game and really only had that one blemish allowing a sack which is gonna happen especially since it was his first live action in a couple of weeks.

LJP looks solid and one of the better backup centers in the game. The guy will be a starter somewhere by this time next year. I say Jacksonville.

I feel Sweezy is going to be our best linemen this year and I feel with each game moving forward he continues to solidify the belief that'll being one of the better guards in the NFL despite his inexperience. The guy is a monster.

I really liked the Britt pick but it looks as he'll have some limitations and might only cap out at average at best. But again it won't be too hard replacing a below average Giacomini/Bowie. The thing I like best about Britt though is he has some warrior. in him. In that he'll get beat but the next play, he'll make someone pay. Imo, if his career is just a more savvy Giacomini but he can stay healthy and consistent, the pick will be worth it. He's definitely tough, gritty, and even though he is a rookie with expected growing pains, the advent of being a starter for a Championship team doesn't seem too big for him. This was a quality I seen in Sweezy too. Confidence as a Lineman is a must have.

Can't say much about the backups.

Wilson is simply amazing. I honestly feel the Seahawks have recognized this and trust him so much that some of their protection design is allow Wilson to toy with DEs. By allowing the DE to "escape" it allows the OT to become the lead blocker on the "spy" and if he can seal him off it gives the QB room to run or time to allow plays to develop downfield. It doesn't always work but I think I've seen it enough now that it looks like a designed play. And our OTs sell it well.

Tical21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1tus86ys said:
I honestly feel the Seahawks have recognized this and trust him so much that some of their protection design is allow Wilson to toy with DEs. By allowing the DE to "escape" it allows the OT to become the lead blocker on the "spy" and if he can seal him off it gives the QB room to run or time to allow plays to develop downfield. It doesn't always work but I think I've seen it enough now that it looks like a designed play. And our OTs sell it well.

I'm really hoping this is a fabulous attempt at sarcasm.

OP
OP
B

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2fmy7i0h said:
I honestly feel the Seahawks have recognized this and trust him so much that some of their protection design is allow Wilson to toy with DEs. By allowing the DE to "escape" it allows the OT to become the lead blocker on the "spy" and if he can seal him off it gives the QB room to run or time to allow plays to develop downfield. It doesn't always work but I think I've seen it enough now that it looks like a designed play. And our OTs sell it well.

Most of whats been said sounds very promising. Id have a very hard time believing this last paragraph though. The illusion that Pete or John want their linemen to get beat so they can run after our franchise, world champion quarterback is absurd. LOL

I remember seeing Carpenter right before the game started and MAN ALIVE he is an absolute MOUNTAIN.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":1638qrv9 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1638qrv9 said:

LOL! Yeah, obviously they 'designed' that! [emoji1] [emoji90]

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":274z2owt said:
Pandion Haliaetus":274z2owt said:

Going with Tical on this one.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":339zy1kc said:
Tical21":339zy1kc said:
Pandion Haliaetus":339zy1kc said:

They actually showed a play on NFL network with a designed free release for the DE and the LT went straight to a LB and it was obvious Wilson knew it was coming.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":uhqzfyk1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":uhqzfyk1 said:
Tical21":uhqzfyk1 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":uhqzfyk1 said:

They actually showed a play on NFL network with a designed free release for the DE and the LT went straight to a LB and it was obvious Wilson knew it was coming.
Interesting.....ballsy that. You think it's Wilson's idea or Bevell's? Given he finally has the players to screw defenses over hardcore?

Tical21

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":3ibj14sa said:
MizzouHawkGal":3ibj14sa said:
Tical21":3ibj14sa said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3ibj14sa said:

Yes, very interesting. This was on a passing play? You leave the DE unblocked on the naked plays, but I don't really think that was what the post was describing.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You guys have your own opinions and can believe whatever, I just see it... to me it just looks like a designed "free release" one that typically a TE would make and a design only Wilson is probably capable of running.

It doesn't happen on all passing plays, and it certainly doesn't work all of the time... and it really has to be executed to perfection to work.

Step 1. The OT has to drive the DE to his outside shoulder and engage him enough for the DE to take a roundabout way to the QB. Then the OT peels off. If the DE beats the OT on an inside move the margin for Wilson to escape his smaller because the defender's angle of pursuit is more controlled and he can mirror Wilson better.

Step 2. So after the OT forces the DE wide, Wilson must calculate his escape route while keeping his eyes down field, he does his trade mark Houdini escapes aka piroulelltes, spin out of the tackle. If it works, the DE's own momentum will take himself out of the play long enough for Wilson to roll the other way in space giving him better view of the field and better throwing lanes.

Step 3. After allowing the DE to peel off, the OTs job is now to locate and seal off the "contain/spy" defender. If it works, Wilson either has space to run in or he has enough time to locate a downfield WR for a huge splash play. If it doesn't work Wilson now has to escape mulitple defenders to buy time.

Giacomini had the athleticism to pull these designed plays off while Bowie did not. And you can notice TEs helping to "seal" the edge as well from time to time.

Again, it doesn't happen all the time, it doesn't work all the time, but its a calculated risk that only Wilson can seemingly pull off, and when it does work it usually results in some huge plays while quickly wearing out defenses in the process because they have to play sideline to sideline and go full bore at top speed to keep Wilson contained.

mikeak

Reaction score
There has been plenty of articles in the "advanced read-option" where guys are left free to make them open up holes that then a separate tackler close the gap or the play designation goes the other way.

You also let guys through in a screen pass scenario all the time.

What is so amazing with the idea that a DE is let through in a way that everyone knows where he is coming from? You run the qb the other way, you slip a guy back to take out the open guy in the backfield and you just opened up running / passing lanes