Mike Morgan having the camp of a lifetime

arghawkfan

Reaction score
It always puzzled me how Mike Morgan seemed to always make his way onto the final 53. I've never seen him make any significant contributions on as a LB or on special teams, but it seems that the coaching staff values him tremendously. It will be interesting to see if he sticks with Pierre-Louis and the oft injured Korey Toomer waiting in the wings.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201408 ... /140819640

titan3131

Reaction score
So one of the tds against dallas isnt significant?

Because mike was responsible for it.

OP
OP
A

arghawkfan

Reaction score
One blocked field goal in 2.5 seasons on the roster leaves a little something to be desired, but again, as a casual observer, i'm sure the coaching staff recognizes his worth.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Morgan has established himself as one of the better STs on the team (according to the team)... he has also proved to be very versatile and compliant to what the coaches have asked of him, he can play all three LB spots as well as LEO. Morgan also was asked to gain 20 pounds last season.

Carroll and Quinn in particular have expressed how much they like Mike Morgan. So while us fans tend to hate on him (from my perspective of people's opinion of him) and think he's Just Another Guy... the team obviously sees value in him.

Morgan also has been active all 37 games the Seahawks played the last two years, he started a game in 2012, and from my experience of him, he has always been reasonably solid when he got field work. He doesn't stand out but he's also not a liability. He's kind of a DD Lewis/Kevin Bentley role player.

Basis4day

Reaction score
arghawkfan":bywqsmlm said:
One blocked field goal in 2.5 seasons on the roster leaves a little something to be desired, but again, as a casual observer, i'm sure the coaching staff recognizes his worth.

Not showing up on the stat sheet isn't indicative of worth. Similar to a NT whose sole job is to eat up double teams so other players have a chance at clean up. If he's doing his assignments and allow other players to make plays hes doing his job.

Im sure Scotty or Kearly could shed some light on that.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't know if I can shed light on his worth, I thought he looked awful in his limited snaps up to now. He plays the left protection in punts, he was part of a group of three Hawks who stood up when they thought they heard a whistle vs the Niners and it became a block.

Like I said, I was really impressed with him last Thursday. Looked way better than last year.

kearly

Reaction score
I tend to pay way closer attention in the preseason when it comes to backups. Last preseason I liked Morgan as a competent backup LB with good speed, but thought the LEO experiment was a joke. I never really noticed him in real games.

I thought he added weight, but everywhere I look still lists him at 226. That's a freakishly low weight even for a 4-3 LB, and it's insane for a guy at the LOS. That's why I laughed at both the concept and the results of the team trying Morgan at LEO last preseason.

In the game last week though, some of his best plays came right at the line while engaged by a blocker. It reminded me some of KJ Wright in 2012 when he played SAM LB and lined up most plays at the LOS.

I dunno. Bottom line with Morgan is that he just kind of exists. I can't remember any plays where he looked terrible and I can't remember any jaw-dropping plays that made me think he was really onto something big.

LBs who run in the 4.4s don't grow on trees, they are freakish and rare. Seattle's entire LB core- other than KJ Wright- ran a pre-draft 4.50 or faster. That's remarkable. It would be like the Mariners insisting that they fill out their entire bullpen with lefties who all throw at least 97 MPH. That would be really hard to do as there are only a small handful of those kinds of relievers in baseball. LBs who run in the 4.4 are similarly rare, and Seattle has loaded up on them and made it work.

But to get that many fast linebackers, that usually means acquiring players who are less heralded than say, Luke Kuechly. Having four or five of these kinds of players means the team is going to have some backup LBs who have questionable talent initially, or who are merely competent and just exist.

Largent80

Reaction score
well, this is why preseason is fun. Now we can focus on Morgan and see for ourselves. Last week I was at Mama Shermans B-Day party, and the game was on however, there was dinner and a raffle also.

I'm looking ahead to Friday and seeing what Morgan does then.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He looked good in his run fits last game.

There was twice I saw that he filled and plugged the gap.

There was also one play where he blew up two blockers (OL and TE I believe) and tackled the guy in the backfield on an Off Tackle run to the left side (defensive right).

He also looks a LOT bigger than he did last year. I know he's listed at 226, but he looks close to 240.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1mtklft3 said:
Mike Morgan. I have scouted him for years and will continue to monitor his situation very closely.
I dont know why, but that made me chuckle