New Pass Defense Penalties

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
When has putting more of the game's outcome in the hands of the referee not been a good thing?

/s

Cartire

Reaction score
Heres the thing. Clearly the NFL fans wanted this. Why else would this have been such an issue that needed to be addressed to insanely?

I mean, I havent met a single fan in the nation that has said that they wanted more ref involvement, but I assume thats the case, right?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":1zvpsi10 said:
Heres the thing. Clearly the NFL fans wanted this. Why else would this have been such an issue that needed to be addressed to insanely?

I mean, I havent met a single fan in the nation that has said that they wanted more ref involvement, but I assume thats the case, right?
Based on how much whining there was by fans of all the opponents we faced last year, I'd say you're right, actually. :)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The penalty is 5 yards.

So you call their bluff.

Make the game a storm of yellow flags where it is clear the entire offense is advancing on penalties. The refs will be forced not to call it as often because the game will get so ugly people will change the channel. Think of what happened with the replacement refs as an example.

But the question is whether the integrity of the game (restoring it by removing the NFL equivalent of "juicing the ball") is worth sacrificing a season over.

What is hilarious is going to be watching our receivers victimize the league based on rule changes that everyone clamored for. Because this team is going to move from a team that lumbers up and down the field on the RB to one that uses a mobile QB and an adept WR corps to victimize teams.

We already watched Denver get drowned in a storm of flags in this preseason game, watch it happen.

One thing I am confident of is that no matter the rules, Pete will always find loopholes in those rules that allow us to gain advantages on the field.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Per Dan Fonts during SD Dallas game after one of those penalties: "Officials will be calling those defensive backs a lot closer this season for holding which is what allowed the Seahawks to have all the success they had last season."

Yup, you've got it all figured out Dan.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19zwjt9o said:
The penalty is 5 yards.

So you call their bluff.

Make the game a storm of yellow flags where it is clear the entire offense is advancing on penalties. The refs will be forced not to call it as often because the game will get so ugly people will change the channel. Think of what happened with the replacement refs as an example.

But the question is whether the integrity of the game (restoring it by removing the NFL equivalent of "juicing the ball") is worth sacrificing a season over.

What is hilarious is going to be watching our receivers victimize the league based on rule changes that everyone clamored for. Because this team is going to move from a team that lumbers up and down the field on the RB to one that uses a mobile QB and an adept WR corps to victimize teams.

We already watched Denver get drowned in a storm of flags in this preseason game, watch it happen.

One thing I am confident of is that no matter the rules, Pete will always find loopholes in those rules that allow us to gain advantages on the field.

Evidently you're right. Denver had 1st and 35 after some obvious (and one dubious) holding penalties and one procedure penalty, so Osweiler hucks it up to his WR. Our DB has PERFECT position, and the WR has the one of the easiest and most obvious offensive pass interference penalties...a double handed shove to the back and the call goes against the defense. The only rational explanation I can figure is that the refs really didn't want to call 5 penalties in a row on the Broncos.

themunn

Reaction score
preseason last year looked the exact same remember

DHawk

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2s1vkkht said:
Per Dan Fonts during SD Dallas game after one of those penalties: "Officials will be calling those defensive backs a lot closer this season for holding which is what allowed the Seahawks to have all the success they had last season."

Fouts took waaaay too many hits to the head as a player. Waaaaaay too many.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sarlacc83":37o7r5pb said:
When has putting more of the game's outcome in the hands of the referee not been a good thing?

/s

"Since the... wait, is that a trick question?" - Ben Roethlisburger

Hawks46":37o7r5pb said:
Evidently you're right. Denver had 1st and 35 after some obvious (and one dubious) holding penalties and one procedure penalty, so Osweiler hucks it up to his WR. Our DB has PERFECT position, and the WR has the one of the easiest and most obvious offensive pass interference penalties...a double handed shove to the back and the call goes against the defense. The only rational explanation I can figure is that the refs really didn't want to call 5 penalties in a row on the Broncos.

I thought for sure that penalty was against the offense. Blatant offensive pass interference. But yea, I thought the same thing after the call on the field. Momma's lil' babies don't deserve all that meanness!

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawks46":385310rq said:
TwistedHusky":385310rq said:
The penalty is 5 yards.

So you call their bluff.

Lane had perfect position but also extended his arm and impeded the WR, an obvious penalty.

Aristotle22

Reaction score
Hawks46":5a0qe3ks said:
TwistedHusky":5a0qe3ks said:
The penalty is 5 yards.

So you call their bluff.

That was a little ridiculous. It sure seemed to me Lane was pushed out of the way. The announcers supposed maybe he had his arm blocking the receiver. Still scratching my head

Aristotle22

Reaction score
I didn't watch this game until midnight to 3( thanks preseason live for effing up the app) so I be remembering things incorrectly. I don't think Seattle had very many of the new point of emphasis illegal contact calls. Mostly the Broncos. A little off topic, last yar they were going to focus on the back using the helmet as a battering ram. There was one time the Broncos back did that, and no call was made. So these ticky tack calls will come to pass

kpak76

Reaction score
The new rules looks like its going to favor the Hawk offense more than hurt the Hawk defense. Our DB's looks like they have already made adjustments to the new rule. In turn you saw how they didnt press much at the LOS.

RW moliblty will be the key. When he makes his Houdini routine and escapes the pocket to buy time for his recievers, that puts a HUGE onus on the opposing DB's. You saw RW actually exploit these new rules by throwing the ball to guys he see get contacted after he rolled out. The number of penelties overall was excruciating though.

JGreen79

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":3px42r3t said:

Think Dan should talk to Pereira about that...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/490352391208710144[/tweet]

Hawknballs

Reaction score
During the dolphins/falcons game the ATL broadcast brought it up too and basically implied that seattle only won because they were holding and that Richard Sherman was a cheater.

Butthurt strongest from all the teams who couldn't finish the job.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DHawk":1n4gg3k6 said:
LawlessHawk":1n4gg3k6 said:

Fouts took waaaay too many hits to the head as a player. Waaaaaay too many.
Plus he's a duck, so there probably wasn't a lot upstairs to begin with! 8)
Sorry J, I couldn't resist! ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JGreen79":iy256v5b said:
LawlessHawk":iy256v5b said:

Think Dan should talk to Pereira about that...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/490352391208710144[/tweet]
Baghdad Mike though is a known liar that cannot be trusted!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawknballs":beluu8h0 said:
During the dolphins/falcons game the ATL broadcast brought it up too and basically implied that seattle only won because they were holding and that Richard Sherman was a cheater.

Butthurt strongest from all the teams who couldn't finish the job.
That's funny because the zebras only missed one defensive PI in XLVII and that was on Earl Thomas right before halftime...... but they also missed the Donks OPI on D. Thomas that clearly shoved Sherman to the ground.

Outside of a couple questionable spots against Seattle the refs called a straight up game and Seattle still won by 35 points!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I really just hope this is a preseason experiment and they will tone it down when the games start counting.. because it will make the games borderline unwatchable.

As if the offense doesn't already have a major advantage over the defense to begin with. They might as well just make it 7 on 7 at this point in a tee and shorts.

Latest posts