Customs screw job on my 'Hawks Season Tix---advice please

heffmanhere

Reaction score
Eleven days after being shipped, my Seahawks season tix arrived...almost.

The post office is holding the box and Canada Customs is demanding $62 from me for assorted customs fees and duty
The frame inside has been valued at $40 and the tix valued at $400 (even tho I paid over 2K for them---go figure the logic)

I live near Vancouver BC and I've been a season ticket holder for years

I've never had to pay customs on my season tix

What gives?

Have any other Canucks had to pay customs fees on their tix this year?

Any advice for me from fans in similar shoes who had this happen and perhaps fought it successfully?

Or, conversely any advice from anyone who works in customs?

My thinking at this point is to leave the box and not claim it, then just print off the tix online and then call the 'Hawks and ask them to hang on to the package when it is returned to them until I next come to Seattle where I will pick it up at the pro shop or something.

Any advice on my plan? a better plan? or just on what to have for lunch today?

Big thanks...

Barthawk

Reaction score
Total BS. If that frame is $40, then I am going into the frame selling business.

I think your idea of printing the tickets is a great way to circumvent govt. BS. Contact your season ticket rep and apprise them of your situation and I am sure there is a way to get your gift.

My car got wrecked and my license plate frame got destroyed, I emailed Emily and within a week a new Season Ticket Holder frame was at my door.

rightbench

Reaction score
Customs fees are pretty common. I'm the shipping manager for an aerospace company and we ship stuff all over the world. I'm honestly surprised that you haven't paid them in the past.

In the past, have they been just envelopes and this year with the frame and whatnot it's a larger box? I know that many times envelopes get through customs much easier than packages.

As far as having it returned and picking it up in Seattle, I'm sure you can have it returned. Whether or not the Hawks have a way for you to physically pick it up is another question, albeit one I'm sure they can work out for you.

The only other thing I can think of is that the shipper can choose to pay Duties and Taxes and perhaps the Seahawks did that in the past but forgot or chose not to this year.

Whatever happens, good luck. I'm sure it will get cleared up.

the ditch

Reaction score
That's odd, I'm in Canada and have had tickets for years and never have had to pay a fee like that.

Got my tickets no problems a couple of days ago.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me...contact your ticket rep and they will reimburse you, they are aware of the problem.

camaroboy_69

Reaction score
I had to pay the $62 as well and I'm not happy at all. I think I'm going to call my sales rep and see whats up with that.

Update- I emailed my rep he told me to email a copy of the charges and they will reimburse me. They switched from FedEX to UPS this year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sounds like your government is getting as greedy as ours is.

This really sucks when they look to maximize profit off of regular people.

kidhawk

Reaction score
That does suck. I have to ship stuff internationally and have had to deal with customs before, and I fully understand taxing items of value that are sent to the country, but for season tickets that are sold and used outside their country? That's ridiculous. I can somewhat understand the tax on the frame, although that would be a bit petty, but it's an item of some value to be used within their borders, but the tickets? It's ridiculous for customs to charge a fee for those.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":24xtzi7s said:
Total BS. If that frame is $40, then I am going into the frame selling business.

I think your idea of printing the tickets is a great way to circumvent govt. BS. Contact your season ticket rep and apprise them of your situation and I am sure there is a way to get your gift.

My car got wrecked and my license plate frame got destroyed, I emailed Emily and within a week a new Season Ticket Holder frame was at my door.

Have you seen how many custom frame shops are out there, big (rip off) business.

I can see that frame being valued at $40 MSRP. We all know it cost $3 to make though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2u8a5x1y said:
Barthawk":2u8a5x1y said:

Have you seen how many custom frame shops are out there, big (rip off) business.

I can see that frame being valued at $40 MSRP. We all know it cost $3 to make though.

But it has magnets...so $3.45. he he he :mrgreen:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Phone your ticket agent, the charge was due to a shipping mistake made by the team and/or UPS. They will credit you a refund. At least they promised me they would do so.

ManBunts

Reaction score
So what I say below is being said as someone who does NOT have season tickets and would give a LOT to get them.

Justpay the $62. You can figure it out later. Worse comes to worse, you're still out $62, which you could probably recoup by selling your tickets to a game or two. I know you already paid a lot to get them, but damn, to let $62 get between you and those tickets is a shame.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ManBunts":rf0m64b2 said:
So what I say below is being said as someone who does NOT have season tickets and would give a LOT to get them.

Justpay the $62. You can figure it out later. Worse comes to worse, you're still out $62, which you could probably recoup by selling your tickets to a game or two. I know you already paid a lot to get them, but damn, to let $62 get between you and those tickets is a shame.

Agree 100%.

LusciousJames

Reaction score
heffmanhere":3uemztg9 said:
I emailed my rep (Emily) who was both quick and gracious about reimbursing this Customs gouge...Kudos to the 'Hawks yet again...

Just another reason why I love this franchise. I seriously doubt any other team would do this for its season ticket holders... at least, they wouldn't make it this easy.

warden

Reaction score
For those who mention Emily

Be aware

There are two Emily's , one who is a Season ticket holder account rep who is awesome and the other who works in the ticketing department who is a b!tch

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Seriously, cant just all countries abandon these stupid and unrational customs fees? It seems like the only reason to have them is that.. eh... oither countries have them and .. we gutta prottect juuuuubs in our countryyy...therka deeeerk....

lukerguy

Reaction score
Mine arrived today into Canada and they charged me $33... I think they just guess? The actually tickets have zero value as they can be printed off online and the "gift" which was brutal this year if you ask me, was probably worth $10.