Is there a chance that Lynch retires?

Will Marshawn retire if the Hawks don't budge on his demands?

• No way in hell

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • It's a possibility

Votes: 66 68.8%
  • Yes. He will spend the rest of his days eating Skittles in a rocking chair

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
I read some articles that mention the possibility of Lynch retiring if he does not get what he wants financially. Now normally I would say not a chance, but this is Marshawn, a man that beats to a different drum. I think it's remote but you never know The Beast. What do you think?

Steve2222

Reaction score
It's pretty rare to see elite players at the age of 28 on a championship caliber team retire.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
That would be pretty bizarre. He reportedly wants more money, so why would be OK with making zero and probably having to return a portion of his signing bonus from two years ago?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
He hinted the idea of retirement last year and watched his friend Rice walk away this year. He's disgruntled because he is being phased out and if he retires he'd have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus.
It would be ideal if he shared the carries more but he won't like his numbers declining. His predicament here may be too much for him to deal with now that MRob and Rice are gone. My guess is he won't retire but may ask for a trade.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Not a chance in hell. If Marshawn called it a career he would not only forfeit a lot of money but the Hawks could go after his signing bonus. He will be back on Tuesday.

themunn

Reaction score
Yeah, after all, he takes a proper beating each and every Sunday, living out the rest of your life at 28 without being in pain ever again must be a pretty attractive option.

He's won a ring, he'll be remembered as an elite back and he's earned a hell of a lot of money. There's nothing left for him but the Hall of Fame. And with the suggestions that Michael will take a lot of his carries this year, that might not be a feasible goal anymore.

He could come back, but only if he gets the money that he thinks makes it worth it for him. Otherwise yeah, I can see him retire.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sharing the load could prolong his career and make him a legitimate Hall of Fame candidate. He is 2,600 rushing yards away from 10,000 for his career. That would require averaging 870 yards over three years. Only 28 running backs in NFL history (+ Frank Gore should eclipse it this season) are in the 10,000 Rushing Yards Club.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think him retiring could be a real possibility. Beast is a different cat, so conventional thinking goes out the window.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Yes it is a definite possibility that Lynch retires.

Would it be stupid / bizarre / crazy to retire? Yes it would. But when rich young men who have been coddled forever get worked up about something it isn't out of the question that they do something stupid.

Those of us who aren't involved can see how stupid it would be, but retiring because you don't get a raise sometimes makes sense to the player.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Yes it is a definite possibility that Lynch retires.

Would it be stupid / bizarre / crazy to retire? Yes it would. But when rich young men who have been coddled forever get worked up about something it isn't out of the question that they do something stupid.

Those of us who aren't involved can see how stupid it would be, but retiring because you don't get a raise sometimes makes sense to the player.

King Dog

Reaction score
If he does retire, then I guess he's really not as concerned about the future financial security of his charity foundation as was being reported by Michael Robinson. Robinson made it sound like that was his main objective with the holdout, and leaving 5M or whatever on the table certainly wouldn't help that cause.

Rocket

Reaction score
Rob12":3prf0v58 said:
I think him retiring could be a real possibility. Beast is a different cat, so conventional thinking goes out the window.
Exactimundo

When you grow up having to wear the same shirt all week and go hungry, then get tossed his level of money, you have to work hard to wrap your arms around the change. It's an incredibly huge and complex change and it's not an easy task.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm glad someone brought this up as a legitimate question in a legitimate thread as this was something I've been on the fence about since yesterday (thanks to Rainger).

What If Lynch Does Retire?

Does he forfeit the rest of remaining $13 Million of his Contract? If that is the case your looking at the Seahawks adding $5.5 to their Cap for 2014, an amount that will roll over into next year on top of another $7.5 million that would be freed off the books. That could turn into Wilson's, Wagner's, and possibly Cliff Avril extensions.

Then the question becomes can the Seahawks overcome Lynch's retirement. And these are my 5 thoughts to answer.

1. Robert Turbin, I had my gripes about him in the past but if he's found the ability to balance in and out of his breaks the guy can be be a solid starter in this league. He does all the little things and one thing he improved on last year was becoming a more violent downhill runner.

2. Christine Michael, as explosive of a running back you'll find in the NFL. But he needs experience to strengthen his all around game, especially in Cable's ZBS, and that starts with getting actual reps that matter. Also, while Michael has the athleticism to run around defenders, he also has the power to run through them as well.

3. Spencer Ware, with Lynch on the team, Ware is pretty much an after thought. Without Lynch, Ware becomes valuable as Ware is more or less a poor man's Lynch bringing to the table an ability to break tackles and pick up yards after contact as a big, physical, violent down-hill RB.

None of these RBs are Marshawn Lynch but together they form a three headed monster, all with different styles and complementing abilities opponents will have to game plan for.

4. Percy Harvin, there's no doubt in my mind that the Seahawks would eventually transition into Harvin being more or less the focal point of the offense. It doesn't mean he's going to get an insane amount of touches but definitely a player that would be used in a variety of ways to exploit opposing defenses. The Jet Sweep is a dangerous play and all of a sudden screens passes seem unstoppable.

5. Russell Wilson, no one has an opportunity as big as Russell Wilson in the absence of Lynch. Which will be a great chance to take full control of the offense and a chance to possibly open up the passing game. Not a dramatic increase but like a 50-75 increase in Pass Attempts. It also give the Seahawks a great chance to evaluate him in that sense of what he can do with an increased threshhold before they sign him to $120+ millions of dollars.

With that said hopefully Lynch gets his butt into camp, sooner rather than later or not at all.

evergreen

Reaction score
Well, he knows his days are numbered. We don't give the big 3rd contract anymore. He can see he's only here until the end of his contract or even less. Part of our deal is giving the big contract and then cutting out before it's over, like with Rice and others. They did't use a 2nd on Michael for nothing. Doesn't seem such a stupid draft now dos it?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Another thing that has crossed my mind is Lynch could also be forcing a trade opportunity. And it makes sense because he's the decline of his career, and he's holding essentially for "new money" in that he wants more guarantees and job security. Which makes tremendous sense for a player entering the twilight of his career... don't blame him one bit for what he's done on the field. So in Lynch's mind, money is taking the precedent over the team and over winning.

But it seems the Seahawks made it rather apparent that they ARE NOT going to budge on the finacial plan they have place for the team.

So another plausible option over retirement is a trade. Obviously, one that would make sense for both teams involved.

The trade team that is most obvious is the Oakland Raiders, Lynch's hometown team but what makes it work is that they have the cap to scrap his current deal and give him "new money" he seeks in the form of a signing bonus but they can also temper it to insure Lynch's motivation is not withstanding by making his base salary mostly incentive based with qualifiers on Total Touches, Total Yards, Total TDs, Broken Tackles, and Yards After Contact.

What it could also allow Oakland to do is trade either MJD or Darren McFadden to a team like the Colts for a late round pick.

A trade value option that makes sense would be a 2015 5th Round Pick + 2016 5th Round Pick with conditional incentives that could make both 4th round picks based on Lynch's production in 2014 and 2015. Another alternative to that would be a simple 2016 4th Rounder + 2017 4th Rounder.

An "outside the box" option would be Lynch + Derrick. Coleman for FB Marcel Reece + a conditional 2015 5th/4th Round Pick.

Reece would be an upgrade at FB as he arguably the best all-around FB in the game, but he's earning in $3.5-4.0 m range per year from 2014-2016. But logically the Seahawks can stash and develop Kiero Small on the PS for a year as insurance and attempt to restructure, if not cut Reece after this year if they feel he's not worth the 3.9 m he'll cost in 2015.

Please note that I'm just entertaining ideas and this is in no representation of what I want or feel about Lynch's situation. If I had it my way the team and Lynch would just restructure his contract into a 1 year, 10 mil deal and call it a day.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Have you guys seen pics of Marshawn's Lambo?
Obviously, he adores the chingwah and at his age he is short on time for getting millions annually.
I say no way he walks away. Too many (including his cherished foundation) look up to any rely on him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Unlikely, but let's be realistic; Marshawn HATES dealing with the media spotlight. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired. Surprised to an extent, but literally any other player on our team still in their 20s retiring now would surprise me a LOT more, I'll put it that way.