Penalties: Will the Hawks have less this year?

General Manager

Reaction score
Penalties and the O-line were the two biggest problems last year. Seattle has to be better in this area we can't lead the league again this year, it could cost us a chance to repeat. Penalties last year took a long list of plays off the board on Offense, big plays. They have to find a way to get that turned around.

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
Doubt it. I think it's something that just comes with the Pete Carroll package.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Tough, aggressive teams will always be among the league leader in penalties.

There's a reason that the Holmgren teams always were among the teams with fewest penalties, yet were labeled as "soft".

I can live with the penalties as long as they are not at crucial times for stupid reasons. Very few of our penalties came after the whistle (ie: Rams), and I can live with that.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
At the end of the day the Refs are going to do call what they want to, but they have to clean up the Offensive penalty's I can live with some of the Defensive calls but they need to be better there as well. I just hope on game day we don't have as many threads on bad calls as we did last year it was brutal and some times you really had to wonder about the refs having an agenda.

chris98251

Reaction score
Drive stopping penalties is one thing, penalties of an aggressive nature on defense we can absorb much easier, anything that comes from a hard hit etc tends to affect how a player and a offense plays against us in our favor more often than not.

Perfundle

Reaction score
HawkFan72":fgzziuyu said:
Tough, aggressive teams will always be among the league leader in penalties.

There's a reason that the Holmgren teams always were among the teams with fewest penalties, yet were labeled as "soft".

I can live with the penalties as long as they are not at crucial times for stupid reasons. Very few of our penalties came after the whistle (ie: Rams), and I can live with that.
I'm pretty sure the league-leading 28 false starts and second-in-the-league 29 offensive holding penalties have nothing to do with being aggressive. It's the offensive penalties that are the real problem, because the defense is more than good enough to overcome their share. Seattle's offense is committing a penalty every 12.6 plays; the next most-penalized team only gets penalized every 16.1 plays, and the league average is one every 21.4 plays.

Largent80

Reaction score
It is a bummer to have good plays erased by what some people call "boneheaded" plays, but as was said earlier, aggressive teams are going to have them. The way to overcome them is to just shrug them off and make up for them.

A holding call could happen and does on every offensive series in every game.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Largent80":31uqshvg said:
A holding call could happen and does on every offensive series in every game.

True but they seem to happen a lot more when Turbin is running.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Unfortunately the league wants parody and just like last year and the schedule this year we will again be seeing the league make calls that they might normally not make as well as some of those Mike Carey calls that befuddle the imagination. This is how the NFL prevents teams from going undefeated and gives the image that all NFL teams are close in talent.

Go watch some of the games last year and you'll notice nearly every horrible call happened in the first half. After the half they tend to loosen up and let the teams play. That is also part of the reason we had those come from behind wins.

Look at the game in Candlestick last year as another good example. They not only blew the call that would have given us possession and taken points off the board for the Niners they actually changed the call to prevent a challenge once it became obvious it would get over turned and Pete threw the challenge flag. Why would they do that? Because if we swept the Niners and lock up the division with two games to go it kills the rivalry and takes a big chunk of reality out of parody. If the roles had been reversed and the Niners were looking to lock up the division instead of us they would have called holding on the Niners when Gore had his big run. It's not game fixing but they definitely try and make it more challenging for teams that threaten to hurt the leagues pocket book.

Consider also how many people complained that the super bowl was boring and even the ratings were down from previous years and that is when you had two #1 seeds as the best offense and best defense playing each other. It should have been an all time high ratings wise but it was over before it even started and many tuned out.

You can also look at how many prime time home games we got this year after winning the super bowl. The only one they gave us was the opener because it was not an option. Again, why? Because we demoralize our opponents in those games and again people change the channel. Why else do you think we are going to Santa Clara on Thursday night again when we just did that two years ago and the Niners haven't had to play here on Thursday night ever IIRC.

Yes we will still likely lead the league in penalties. Some of it warranted and some of it you can credit to parody. Just like last year though, we will have to overcome those obstacles.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Not to demean anyone here....but the difference is really in the spelling here and means a LOT...Parity is the differenciation in what could happen to what will happen..Parody is joking. Oh...dang...maybe you were right after all. Carry on. :mrgreen:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2mo5dqpf said:
Not to demean anyone here....but the difference is really in the spelling here and means a LOT...Parity is the differenciation in what could happen to what will happen..Parody is joking. Oh...dang...maybe you were right after all. Carry on. :mrgreen:

LOL, oops yeah I always miss on that one.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
General Manager":urx45ruv said:
Penalties and the O-line were the two biggest problems last year. Seattle has to be better in this area we can't lead the league again this year, it could cost us a chance to repeat. Penalties last year took a long list of plays off the board on Offense, big plays. They have to find a way to get that turned around.

to be fair . We already proved that leading the league in penalties doesn't effect our ability to win a Superbowl

but I sure hope we improve

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":18dvi847 said:
"Differenciation"?

Not to demean anyone here....but the difference is really in the spelling here and means a LOT.

Differentiation is a word. Differenciation is not. :D

kidhawk

Reaction score
Melencause":6wk1tirr said:
Giacomini is gone... penalties should decline for this reason alone.

2 years ago I'd have agreed, but last year, he seemed to incite more penalties than he actually made himself. There's a fine line and it took some time, but he got his baiting down to a science last year. I think that our whole offensive line (except maybe Unger) were penalty magnets last year.

EDIT: Found a link showing a breakdown of all our penalties last year:

[urltargetblank]http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/seattle-seahawks?year=2013[/urltargetblank]

Seattle tied for the lead in most false starts with Baltimore

We were flagged 28 times for false starts while our opponents just 17.....I found that to be staggeringly odd for us.