Biggest shoulda-woulda-coulda Seahawks plays of 2013

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
So we've had a bunch of other speculative threads with some really great premises. How about one for that one play you wish you coulda had a redo for? Yanno, the one that could have changed the whole complexion of a game. The one that coulda made a difference. Regular season or post season.

For me, it's definitely the Maxwell pass interference play for huge yardage that eventually led to the Broncos' only score. If you watch that play, our defensive backfield gets tangled up with one another and out of position. It's a rare happenstance, and it necessitates Maxwell interfering with the catch to avoid even more yardage. Hard to say, but if we don't get tangled up there and force PI on that play, that game could have very well been the first Super Bowl shutout in the history of the NFL. Still gets me to this day.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2w68ya19 said:
So we've had a bunch of other speculative threads with some really great premises. How about one for that one play you wish you coulda had a redo for? Yanno, the one that could have changed the whole complexion of a game. The one that coulda made a difference. Regular season or post season.

For me, it's definitely the Maxwell pass interference play for huge yardage that eventually led to the Broncos' only score. If you watch that play, our defensive backfield gets tangled up with one another and out of position. It's a rare happenstance, and it necessitates Maxwell interfering with the catch to avoid even more yardage. Hard to say, but if we don't get tangled up there and force PI on that play, that game could have very well been the first Super Bowl shutout in the history of the NFL. Still gets me to this day.
Agreed, they tended to almost play "prevent" on that drive, lots of snaps where they only rushed 3...... Almost felt like Quinn and Pete felt bad for the donks, and called off the hounds for that drive, the last part is pure speculation on my part.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
First three that come to mind are:

Either TD to T.Y. Hilton against the Colts. This was just an uncharacteristic day for our defense. Each seemed to change the complexion of the game from "Man, nothing is going our way, but at least we're still winning" to simply "Man, nothing is going our way."

The rushing 3rd down conversion by Kaep in our 2nd meeting. They would have still taken the lead if we got the stop but this play allowed them to eat up most of the remaining 3 minutes (and RW's incoming drive of justice along with it) before taking the lead.

Michael Floyd TD catch to take the lead and eventually win the game in the 2nd AZ game. Maxwell was on him like a cape, got a arm in his bread basket basket at the exact moment the ball was arriving, and the ball manages to deflect just right for a second attempt at a catch. Game of inches indeed.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The Crabtree down by contact (thus the fumble challengeable) changed to forward progress really annoyed me. That could have had a big outcome on the game and the season as a whole insofar as making all the other coulda woulda shoulda stuff for the niners irrelevant.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Another one was the called safety in Indy. We are talking knockout blow there. The Hawks came out just thrashing the Colts and that kind of slowed things down right there.

Also.. Smith not getting the INT return in the endzone against the Cards. He could have made it and the Hawks didn't get the points from that and the INT off the ground to end the game in AZ. The Hawks FINALLY start moving the ball o offense and THAT is what stops them?

On another note, does everyone realize how many of RWs very few INTs came from the ridiculous? This goes back to 2012, but in 13 the picks are consistently from receivers falling down or some crazy bounce, hail Mary throw.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
If we're talking about a re-do as in "what it that whistle hadn't been blown", I'd probably take all of Turbin's long runs collectively.

If we're talking about a re-de as in "we get to re-think this play all over again", I'd go with the attempted FG against the Colts. I understand wanting to get points, but that play was doomed from the start. With an injured kicker, if anything, we could have kept Ryan as the holder, and tried the FG with any other player who might have played soccer at some point. But my prefered option would have been to go for it on 4th and short in the shadow of their goal line. Worst case scenario is we pin them back at their 1 or something, and chances are good we'd have punched it in. (The chances of punching it in were certainly a lot greater than the chances of making a FG with a inexperienced holder and kicker.)

Cartire

Reaction score
Count Tates Punt Return against AZ. I know we won that game handily, but he had a spectacular punt returning season, but wasnt capped off with a TD return. The one he ran in AZ 'shoulda' counted had it not been whistled for a ticky tack ST penalty away from teh play.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The special teams unit allowing the blocked punt return TD in Indianapolis; or the miscommunication between Earl & Sherman that led to that huge completion to Hilton, also in Indianapolis.

No pun intended, the Colts got lucky that day...But, we didn't get it done. No excuses.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
RW not fumbling first play of the NFCCG. Possibly take that series and turn it into 7 points. Change the game completely and rather than have "the tip". Just completely demolish the Niners 42-13 or 29-3 again, and have their fans lose all feeling of "hope" for even next year because of it.

Also, prevent FG getting that huge run in SF thus winning the game for them. We finally get a win in SF, also quiets the Niner critics.

evergreen

Reaction score
There are some good memory joggers on here. How about that one crappy punt return we let the Rams get that ironically led to them having the best coverage and us not setting the record.

There are a lot of plays in that Indy game that still bug me. The blocked punt that #32 slid out of bounds with. The BS Tate offensive interefence call. And both of their big plays happened after we were unable to put them out of bounds before they got a TD. John Ryan missed on the blocked FG and ET missed TY on the TD. One or both of those could've been reduced to a FG.

The other play is very mysterious. Against the Niners there, RW got blindsided on one play and probably got hurt too. He was never quite the same RW for a few games after that.

Oh yeah, Against AZ here, at the end of the 1st half we were driving for our typical score right before the half, and RW made the worst play of his career. He had the 3rd down conversion and the clock stopped if he just ran, but instead, he threw wide to Baldwin. End of drive and first home loss.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3qv44vev said:
RW not fumbling first play of the NFCCG. Possibly take that series and turn it into 7 points. Change the game completely and rather than have "the tip". Just completely demolish the Niners 42-13 or 29-3 again, and have their fans lose all feeling of "hope" for even next year because of it.

Also, prevent FG getting that huge run in SF thus winning the game for them. We finally get a win in SF, also quiets the Niner critics.

Agree with the Gore run...it was Gorey...... :mrgreen:

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I agree with dude that said Colts safety. The punt was blocked and Maxwell just dives on it and slides out of bounds. If nothing else the safety was gauranteed, he shouldve batted the ball back in bounds and the slaughter wouldve been official.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sherman had a PI I believe it was against 49ers that extended the drive and I think they scored a TD on. This is from memory watching it live so I may be completely incorrect. It was third and long, the PI was stupid as even a completed pass would have been short of a 1st down and it was very much so a PI.

That was big but really there is no call last season that changed anything important enough that I would want it changed - we won the superbowl :D

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Browner putting his hands all over Hilton in the Indy game when Luck was backed up after a huge sack by Irvin. They never should've got out of that situation.

That or Jeron being more obviously in-bounds on that "safety" recovery.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":xhdoxwf8 said:
Seahawk Sailor":xhdoxwf8 said:

Agreed, they tended to almost play "prevent" on that drive, lots of snaps where they only rushed 3...... Almost felt like Quinn and Pete felt bad for the donks, and called off the hounds for that drive, the last part is pure speculation on my part.
It's possible. Despite what some people think, Pete is not into running up the score just to run up the score. If it's 4th and short late in the game and we're close to the end zone, he'll often go for it rather than kicking a FG; he does that because he feels it's actually harder to get the first down (or TD) and score more points than it is to kick a short FG. Unfortunately, all people see is the team going for it and they assume the worst.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Can we just redo the whole Week 13 game? :lol:

loafoftatupu":2faksla3 said:
On another note, does everyone realize how many of RWs very few INTs came from the ridiculous? This goes back to 2012, but in 13 the picks are consistently from receivers falling down or some crazy bounce, hail Mary throw.

This was a crazy bounce indeed... :oops:

nosea3.gif

ceej22

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1w4ijh4l said:
If we're talking about a re-do as in "what it that whistle hadn't been blown", I'd probably take all of Turbin's long runs collectively.

If we're talking about a re-de as in "we get to re-think this play all over again", I'd go with the attempted FG against the Colts. I understand wanting to get points, but that play was doomed from the start. With an injured kicker, if anything, we could have kept Ryan as the holder, and tried the FG with any other player who might have played soccer at some point. But my prefered option would have been to go for it on 4th and short in the shadow of their goal line. Worst case scenario is we pin them back at their 1 or something, and chances are good we'd have punched it in. (The chances of punching it in were certainly a lot greater than the chances of making a FG with a inexperienced holder and kicker.)

John Ryan attempted a FG vs the Titans at home not Indy.

Latest posts