M. Rob's on the danger of "ego"

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
M. Rob's on the danger of "ego"
Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:53 pm
  • Saw this and I will say that it has merit.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=313170

How far is "too far" with swagger and ego? It's an interesting topic to ponder for sure. I love the swagger we have but I do feel we are close to the ceiling and more could become counter productive.

Discuss.
    "Home of the Greatest Defense on planet Earth."
    Gametime
    NET Practice Squad

Re: M. Rob's on the danger of "ego"
Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:04 pm
  • Pete has a formula for success. Part of the formula it to let the guys be themselves.
    I think he does a good job of keeping his finger on the pulse of the team.
    IMHO unless he sees something he thinks is a detriment, he will continue to let the guys be themselves.
    I have my own opinion of how players should act but I'm not smarter than PC when it comes to coaching and overseeing a NFL football team.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm
  • LOL.... at the negative comments. What a bunch of know nothing whinny little punks!
    Beast Mode 05 Sep 12 - "And then with our defense playing the way that they've been playing, we don't even need an offense."
    dbsn2420
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:20 pm
  • I think you are 100% right on that. Hard to think of another coach that was able to control a group like this. He allows them to be themselves but in a way that motivates and builds the entire team. It truly is a testament to his leadership.

So, to answer his question....who do you think fill that leadership void of Big Red, Clemons, and M. Rob?

Or, do the "young" guys like ET and Sherm take fully over in terms of leadership? I think Big Red especially was a huge emotional leader in the clubhouse.
    "Home of the Greatest Defense on planet Earth."
    Gametime
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 pm
  • This is why Kevin Williams is such an important signing. He will provide that veteran leadership if guys get out of line..
    seahawk12thman
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 pm
  • It's a valid concern, but I think it can be mitigated. Pete will talk to guys whom he feels show leadership qualities and need a push to be more vocal about it. He did it with Kam already.

As for vets, Mebane, Unger, Rice, T-Jack, Avril, Bennett, Ryan and Williams all qualify.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:15 pm
  • It already looks like he was right. Some one ADB respects needs to tell him to quit behaving like a teenage girl with his social media.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:02 pm
  • Pete Carroll, as much as I love him and respect his extraordinary intelligence, does not suffer fools well and this sometimes shows when he has cranky moments in interviews when people give him unwise lines of questioning.

Maybe it's the success and how it's raised Wilson's profile, or maybe it's a couple years with Carroll, but there are moments I see this same curtness from Wilson that was a lot harder to see a couple years ago. Recently, he did an interview at one of his passing academies at UW and seemed a little annoyed by some of the questions in that one.

It might be hard to see, but success does often change people. I have faith in our coaches and team that this won't be an issue. But if Wilson rattles off 5+ SB wins over the next 15 years, will he have the same personality as the guy who was giddy at the 75th overall pick? People change, though for Wilson I don't expect him to change much. Maybe a little.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 am
  • This isn't Petes first run with success, he knows how to take a team that has won and get them on track, USC had a lot more in the ego department then we have I think.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:48 am
  • Gametime wrote:I think you are 100% right on that. Hard to think of another coach that was able to control a group like this. He allows them to be themselves but in a way that motivates and builds the entire team. It truly is a testament to his leadership.

So, to answer his question....who do you think fill that leadership void of Big Red, Clemons, and M. Rob?

Or, do the "young" guys like ET and Sherm take fully over in terms of leadership? I think Big Red especially was a huge emotional leader in the clubhouse.

Sherman is no leader. He is an Ochocinco
    http://www.evergreenbound.com

"I don’t know how old the rules are" Richard Sherman
    Cinnamongirl
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:30 am
  • Cinnamongirl wrote:
    Gametime wrote:I think you are 100% right on that. Hard to think of another coach that was able to control a group like this. He allows them to be themselves but in a way that motivates and builds the entire team. It truly is a testament to his leadership.

Sorry but you are incorrect. He is brash, loud and cocky...but he loves the LOB too much (and the reputation of the entire D) to just be a mouth with no bite.

If you are a new defensive back with a chance to be part of the LOB, and you struggle on the field or don't dedicate enough time in film study, you think that Sherm will not be on you when you do wrong? Of course he will.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:37 am
  • kearly wrote:Pete Carroll, as much as I love him and respect his extraordinary intelligence, does not suffer fools well and this sometimes shows when he has cranky moments in interviews when people give him unwise lines of questioning.

Maybe it's the success and how it's raised Wilson's profile, or maybe it's a couple years with Carroll, but there are moments I see this same curtness from Wilson that was a lot harder to see a couple years ago. Recently, he did an interview at one of his passing academies at UW and seemed a little annoyed by some of the questions in that one.

It might be hard to see, but success does often change people. I have faith in our coaches and team that this won't be an issue. But if Wilson rattles off 5+ SB wins over the next 15 years, will he have the same personality as the guy who was giddy at the 75th overall pick? People change, though for Wilson I don't expect him to change much. Maybe a little.

So wait, what is it that we want exactly? Wilson the "fake" robot? Or Wilson the human? Some combination of the two that is some impossible standard?

Of course he's going to change over the next 15 years. Everyone does. Are you the same person you were 5 years ago? I know that I'm not and it's a good thing. I think we place incredibly unrealistic expectations on these young athletes. If I was Wilson I would most likely not have near the patience he does with all the inane questions that are asked.

First, he gets asked the same thing over and over and over again. Second, people like to throw in controversial questions to get him to say something juicy for hte media. It would grow tiresome quickly.

I get tired of being "fake professional" at work after a week of meetings, I can't imagine doing this pretty much year round and then being recorded and nitpicked on top of it.
    Danger Zone
    Archer
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:58 am
  • Not a problem,

I forget who wrote the article, but JS was interviewed prior to the draft and said they literally have to do checks on guys before drafting them about how they will fair in the uber competitive environment that is the seahawks.

A former 4th round WR couldn't handle Sherm and ET going 150% every day at him at practice.

Always compete, Best man plays. Are two pillars of this organization.

Its been proven over and over.

Russel starting as a rookie
    Browner losing his job for a while last year (prior to his suspension)

This team has a goal to be the best ever and they wont let anything get in their way.
    gowazzu02
    NET Rookie

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:18 am
  • Cinnamongirl wrote:
    Gametime wrote:I think you are 100% right on that. Hard to think of another coach that was able to control a group like this. He allows them to be themselves but in a way that motivates and builds the entire team. It truly is a testament to his leadership.

REGULATORS!!!!!!
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:03 am
  • Don't be leaving out the guy leading by example right now. None other than Brandon Mebane. We have vet leaders on this team. No worries here.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:46 am
  • MRob is a wise dude.

I think Michael Bennett and Brandon Mebane may be able to fill that roll.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 am
  • Cinnamongirl wrote:

You are right and wrong.

Sherm is a leader, make no mistake. He and ET are the most vocal leaders on the D, and set the tone for practice. THAT is well documented and agreed upon by the media and coaches.

On the other hand, Sherman has painted himself into a corner with his mouth. He continues to talk and get into media wars with everyone and anyone he can in order to maintain the boulder size chip on his shoulder. The problem is there will come a point in time if he doesn't tone it down that his play won't be able to backup his mouth (like Ochocinco and T.O.).

Hopefully that's 8-10 years from now. But it will come. I just hope Sherm starts to mellow on feeling the need to bark at everyone and anyone like he does now.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 am
  • Cinnamongirl wrote:

That's spoken from the vantage point of a non-Seahawks fan. It's easy for the rest of the teams' fans to think this way because of the persona Sherman paints in the media. Understandable, because most other fans don't follow the team nearly as well as 'Hawks fans do, if they follow much at all. If you'd seen him interact in camp and practices, you'd know he's absolutely a leader, and quite the opposite of the image he has to outsiders. He sets the tone in practice and on the field. He pushes his teammates to succeed. He challenges them, and hard, because that's what it takes to win. He understands how much hard work is needed to survive, let alone succeed in this league, and makes sure the young guys understand this too.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:03 pm
  • There was a reason during OTA's that there were some punches thrown, it wasn't player dislike it was education to the new players in camp, we play hard in practice and in games, no walk in the park on this team. Sherm and Earl set the tone for the DB's, they play, study, and push others, they coach and help the guys on both offense and defense in the film room, as does Russell Wilson who found a tell in Manning.

They are also all over in the community and in their home areas. I don't know how they manage it but it gets done.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:57 am
  • lukerguy wrote:MRob is a wise dude.

I think Michael Bennett and Brandon Mebane may be able to fill that roll.

Bennett does not come across as a leader in his interviews but maybe he will grow into the roll.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 am
  • First of all, if someone doesn't see that Sherm is a leader, they clearly are not paying attention.
    Second, Bennett is a leader on the field, that's what matters.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:50 am
  • You guys also have to remember that M-Rob is trying to come across as an unbiased member of the media now, so he's going to make an effort to be somewhat critical of the Hawks.

I didn't think twice about this comment, because ego is a problem on EVERY professional team, good or bad.

Bottom line for me, I'm not worried about ego's on this team, Pete has been absolutely BRILLIANT at managing egos.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:You guys also have to remember that M-Rob is trying to come across as an unbiased member of the media now, so he's going to make an effort to be somewhat critical of the Hawks.

I didn't think twice about this comment, because ego is a problem on EVERY professional team, good or bad.

Bottom line for me, I'm not worried about ego's on this team, Pete has been absolutely BRILLIANT at managing egos.

I agree, I see this as Robinson going the "lazy" media route with the tired "ego", "complacent" garbage talk. That's all. He hasn't been there at the OTA's or minicamps in the lockerroom with the guys, so he can't see how the chemistry of this team is developing.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You guys also have to remember that M-Rob is trying to come across as an unbiased member of the media now, so he's going to make an effort to be somewhat critical of the Hawks.

I agree, I see this as Robinson going the "lazy" media route with the tired "ego", "complacent" garbage talk. That's all. He hasn't been there at the OTA's or minicamps in the lockerroom with the guys, so he can't see how the chemistry of this team is developing.

????? It's a potential pit fall.... I mean would you rather him say, Seattle is going to win the super bowl again, no doubt about it?

What he said was true, people got paid this off season.......big red who was THE leader is gone. Not a huge stretch.
    gowazzu02
    NET Rookie

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 am
  • Another way I look at MikeRob's comments is not so much the guys that got paid but rather some of the fringe guys resenting it. Just speculating, since that is mostly what we do around here, I wonder how much that played into Bates and Sherman's dust-up. Maybe not at all but surely Bates knows this year is put up or shut up. Two years of PS, he is running out of time.

Okay, I am done making stuff up. Ha!
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:56 pm
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You guys also have to remember that M-Rob is trying to come across as an unbiased member of the media now, so he's going to make an effort to be somewhat critical of the Hawks.

crikey......He was asked what could derail the seahawks to repeat and gave his answer.

doesn't mean he thinks it will happen. He gave a perfectly good reason. Yeah he hasn't seen what is going on but he knows just a little bit more about the team than you. You think?
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:01 pm
  • I listened to that whole episode and using that small part of what MRob said without the rest of it is taking it out of context. The tone of the podcast was that the Seahawks are in a great position to repeat. They then got into hypotheticals to come up with reasons why the Hawks may not do well next year, and this is what MRob came up with.

Even thought they are not grizzled veterans age wise, I think guys like ET, Sherm, RW will all lead with their work ethic. And these guys have all been thought it once now.

Anyone else getting really tired of all the complaints about the Hawks being brash on twitter etc like Sherm? Geez, look at some of the crap those winning Cowboys did in the 90s. How about Rothlisberger who could have easily gone to jail if they could find a sober witness. Or Aldon Smth this off-season. But oh no the Seahawks are totally evil cause some of their guys talk too much and call themselves the best etc. Give me a break.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Starter

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information