Michael Bennett stayed "because of the fans"

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• Loud Seahawks fans = Defensive Lineman Love!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Good stuff.

Wrestling nerd alert...Bennett's celebratory move is modeled from Ravishing Rick Rude....not Ric Flair, as stated in the interview.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• ivotuk wrote:Loud Seahawks fans = Defensive Lineman Love!

Yup, which is why we almost snared Jared Allen. No other position on the team gains a bigger benefit from the 12th man than the defensive line.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• RiverDog wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Loud Seahawks fans = Defensive Lineman Love!

Yup, which is why we almost snared Jared Allen. No other position on the team gains a bigger benefit from the 12th man than the defensive line.

I figure on a standard play, say on a neutral field, the O-line has about a half step advantage just from knowing what the play and the snap count is. Our crowd noise destroys that, and in many ways gives our guys a half step advantage beyond just being even. Half a step is huge in football.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• FortWorthSeahawk wrote:Good stuff.

Wrestling nerd alert...Bennett's celebratory move is modeled from Ravishing Rick Rude....not Ric Flair, as stated in the interview.

Heh yeah if he did the Ric Flair face flop he would probably get pulled from the game and checked for a concussion. :lol:
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I don't buy it, but it sounds nice.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:I don't buy it, but it sounds nice.

Bennett knows how to play to a crowd, that's for sure.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Scottemojo wrote:I don't buy it, but it sounds nice.

Definitely sounds a lot better than wanting to retire in a state with legal weed.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• sutz wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Loud Seahawks fans = Defensive Lineman Love!

I figure on a standard play, say on a neutral field, the O-line has about a half step advantage just from knowing what the play and the snap count is. Our crowd noise destroys that, and in many ways gives our guys a half step advantage beyond just being even. Half a step is huge in football.

Yep, I agree. At least a half a step....that is our Home field advantage. In addition, it really rattles a QB named Kaepernick.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I do remember when he got here, he stated in an interview that he was mostly excited about playing with the 12s screaming and causing problems.

There is no way that a QB can communicate in the manner they like, the 12s do not show mercy. Dline guys have to love that.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• and coincidentally the Seahawks offered the best contract, so there's that.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Re: Michael Bennett stayed
Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:30 pm
  • Vetamur wrote:and coincidentally the Seahawks offered the best contract, so there's that.

I thought his brother or someone said he got offered a little more elsewhere? Got a link?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Someone is stealing hearts today lol. Forget the 10 mil a year....

In other news, Benntte jersey sales have seen a substantial jump in sales. Lol
    Sherman4Prez
    NET Practice Squad

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:and coincidentally the Seahawks offered the best contract, so there's that.

I thought his brother or someone said he got offered a little more elsewhere? Got a link?

Perhaps a little more money, but not a better contract. Taking a little more but playing in a different system with a lesser supporting cast isn't usually a better deal. Production falls and soon you're being asked to take a haircut.
    No link.. And it's not that I doubt he loves the fans but I have my doubts "fans" are a deciding factor. That's like choosing your job based on the view from the office. All things being equal, yea, take the view.. But if the other place is offering better career opportunities then take the basement office.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Typically, when speaking in terms of contracts being "better", it's all about the money and years and guarantees. There's nothing stated or implied about anything else, including the supporting cast.

IIRC, Bennett was offered a better contract (more money) to play somewhere else. He took less to stay in Seattle than what he could have got elsewhere.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Vetamur wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:and coincidentally the Seahawks offered the best contract, so there's that.

Perhaps a little more money, but not a better contract. Taking a little more but playing in a different system with a lesser supporting cast isn't usually a better deal.

A "better" contract is all about the money and years. Period. Otherwise a 4-year, $5 million dollar contract in New England would be better than a 4-year, $7 million dollar contract in Cleve Land.

Bennett was offered a better contract elsewhere. And while the fact he was weighing a Super Bowl caliber team against a team that wasn't nearly as competitive held some sway in his decision, I'm sure the Twelves had a good deal of sway too.

The decision could have been as easy as saying "hey, it's worth a million a year to me just to play in front of this crowd in a situation I like, rather than be faced with a duller crowd and a lot of what-ifs." People turn down a lot more money to work in a situation or location they like better all the time. It's not uncommon to hear common folks turn down ten or twenty thousand to stay in or move to a situation that suits them better. Figure out the percentage, and I bet Bennett's million is less of a percentage of the total than many people far less wealthy turn down.

Hell, it's a lot less of a percentage than what I opted to turn down myself. I could be back east still, working a pretty sweet career for a lot of money, rather than being back in Washington State. To me, raising my kids in this environment and a good school district, and away from the hellhole that is the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Mary Land was well worth it.

And that tells me playing in front of the Twelves may indeed have been a key difference maker to Bennett.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• BlueTalon wrote:Typically, when speaking in terms of contracts being "better", it's all about the money and years and guarantees. There's nothing stated or implied about anything else, including the supporting cast.

IIRC, Bennett was offered a better contract (more money) to play somewhere else. He took less to stay in Seattle than what he could have got elsewhere.

Perhaps the Bears offered more in terms of pure contract amount, but was it more in terms of money in the pocket for Bennett? Washington has no state income tax and this allows Seattle to structure contracts differently. When the players are shown the you keep this amount numbers the Seattle deal is way more competitive than the raw numbers may appear.

I think he likes the guys he works with and works for here and Seattle was the team that brought him into the league, even though Ruskell was too stupid to keep him. Besides everything he says about playing with the home field advantage the 12's give a pass rush is totally true. If the money was close staying where he has had success makes sense.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• If Bennett balls out for a few games I am grabbing his Jersey. So far my only failed jersey purchase was Tatupu and he was around for a while. I think Bennett is here for good if he maintains. Just a fantastic signing. If he and Avril were on the 12 team we would have 2 Super Bowl trophies.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• jammerhawk wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:Typically, when speaking in terms of contracts being "better", it's all about the money and years and guarantees. There's nothing stated or implied about anything else, including the supporting cast.

Perhaps the Bears offered more in terms of pure contract amount, but was it more in terms of money in the pocket for Bennett? Washington has no state income tax and this allows Seattle to structure contracts differently. When the players are shown the you keep this amount numbers the Seattle deal is way more competitive than the raw numbers may appear.

When Hutch signed the poison pill deal, it cost him almost $4M in additional taxes, so there is definitely a difference in the amount of money a player gets to keep in a non-income-tax state. Still, that's not part of the contract. A better contract can land a player in a worse situation, and vice versa, but that's not because of the contract.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information