NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000365040/nfl-head-coach-power-rankings[/urltargetblank]

7) Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Yes, Seahawks fans, we realize Carroll won it all. So has every coach remaining below -- save Jim Harbaugh. So, why is Carroll ranked beneath his rival? Because Seattle went 7-9 in each of Carroll's first two seasons with Seattle. He also trails Harbaugh in the head-to-head, four games to three. However, if Carroll gets his club back to at least the NFC Championship Game, he might fly past Harbaugh and vie for the spot just below Belichick.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":30idrvya said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000365040/nfl-head-coach-power-rankings[/urltargetblank]

Yes, Seahawks fans, we realize Carroll won it all. So has every coach remaining below -- save Jim Harbaugh. So, why is Carroll ranked beneath his rival? Because Seattle went 7-9 in each of Carroll's first two seasons with Seattle. He also trails Harbaugh in the head-to-head, four games to three. However, if Carroll gets his club back to at least the NFC Championship Game, he might fly past Harbaugh and vie for the spot just below Belichick.
Did anyone point out to that dumbass, that Hairball inherited a stacked deck, while Pete Carroll had to start from scratch? LOL

ivotuk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":e6937ifa said:
kidhawk":e6937ifa said:

Did anyone point out to that dumbass, that Hairball inherited a stacked deck, while Pete Carroll had to start from scratch? LOL

Common sense rears it's ugly head once again :p

But yeah, Pete's 7-9 teams had crap for talent. And they still beat New Orleans and had John Carlson not gone out with a concussion, could have possibly beaten Chicago and made it to the NFCCG!

The 2 teams were night and day talent wise. Most of the players Harby started with are still there. Pete's players? Where are those players now? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
An opponent fan's response...

If you didn't realize it, Pete Carroll is the coach... he's not the GM

Seattle's GM got lucky building that team with late-round draft choices.

There's no way that model is sustainable.

kearly

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect a smart list from Elliot Harrison. He's not an idiot per se, but definitely a laggard. He's often slow to realize things that most other people figured out a while ago.

I think the list makes sense if you look at it from an NFL resume standpoint. But, that's kind of a dumb way to make a list of top coaches. It's hilarious that John Fox is only one spot behind Carroll.

Carroll wasn't the only coach to get shafted. Arians should be higher than #13. Pagano should be higher than #17. Chip Kelly should be higher than #18. And Trestman at #24? Really? Bradley is probably a league average HC, and he's at #26. I also have a hunch Pettine is going to be taste success in Cleveland. He's #31. You look at all the under-rated coaches on the list and they all have on thing in common, they are finding ways to win in new or unexpected ways. Harrison is a laggard, so his undervaluing them is only natural.

I like Coughlin and have since his Jacksonville days. I thought it was a joke when they fired him. BUT, I never really got why people talk about him like he's a top 5 coach these days. He's an old school hard ass that isn't particularly famous for his scheme or player development. The two rings he got were almost 100% because of two things completely unrelated to his performance, a pair of fluky hot streaks by Eli Manning and having the stars align by winning nail biter after nail biter in ultra-high leverage late-postseason games, two things the Giants are most certainly not known for other than those two postseasons. Coughlin is a good coach, but he is lucky as hell to have a ring, much less two.

Starting to think John Harbaugh might be over-rated, and McCarthy is an OC made to look like a good HC by a GOAT caliber QB. Not every coach with a GOAT caliber QB is over-rated though. Payton has proven his worth when a Drew Brees' led Saints team struggled without him (2012) and Belichick proved his worth without Brady (2008).

General Manager

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2v0bxwe6 said:

Someone needs to put the Bong down and get help.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Haters gonna hate! Keep fueling the fire you national tools! :lol: :th2thumbs:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
This article appears to be written based on RINGZ. Worthless.

I would think that PC would be higher just because he has actually changed how the other teams construct themselves. Bigger press corners are in vogue now because of Carroll's use of bigger corners that can jam WRs at the line and disrupt timing. Remember how weird analysts found it when Browner first started playing here?

What about the use of Clemons as a 9-tech? That's a defensive alignment that gets MUCH more love and some emulation now whereas people were confused about why Clemons was lining up so wide when Carroll first started to use it.

I suspect that heavier rotation of pass-rushers on the D-Line is the next thing teams start to emulate that PC really pushed to the forefront as a strategy. Making Cliff Avril a part-time player is going to earn Avril a smack-ton of money next year.

I bet Chip Kelly ends up doing for the offensive side of the ball what Carroll has done for the defensive side of the ball. He was massively under-ranked as well.

kearly

Reaction score
Which NFL coach has seen the most meteoric rise over the last 2.5 seasons? Which coach is the entire league falling over themselves to emulate? Which coach took a team that finished 30th in weighted DVOA and turned it into team most NFL people think will be a dynasty in four years? Bill Belichick is one of the best coaches of all time, but even what he did in the first four years with New England does not compare, especially considering the defense that Carroll handed off to him. Seeing Pete #7 requires a near-miraculous lack of insight.

That said, would we want to have it any other way? There was an article out in May where five NFL.com analysts picked the best CB duo in the NFL and NONE picked Seattle, and I loved it. We really should be thanking these guys, our team just won the Super Bowl 43-8 and they are still getting far too little respect. And a lack of respect is exactly what fuels our best players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":21xnsfbr said:

LOL. Yeah mining late round picks and turning them into All Pro starters where you get to still pay them like late round picks for three years instead of first round picks is a terrible way to sustain a championship team!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
It's because people sometimes divorce drafting from player development. What the person is saying is that there is no way that Seattle continues to identify players that fit their mental and physical makeup (probably untrue) and develop them at the same rate (only untrue if we shed coaches and Carroll/Schneider cannot make decent replacement hires).

It's not like a drafted player comes to us as a secret superstar we magically picked like one would pick a winning lottery ticket. The development of players here is systemically excellent, and opposing fans can only wish that Kris Richard forgets how to teach cornerbacks how to play or that Pete Carroll suddenly wakes up and forgets how to not only coach technique in the secondary, but how to motivate players across the team.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Downgrading coaches based on their roughest, earliest years? Belechick should be much lower.

Trestman and Arians are too low. Garrett and Mike Smith are too high.

Lists like this are nothing but clickbait.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
General Manager":1z4pejr1 said:
onanygivensunday":1z4pejr1 said:

Someone needs to put the Bong down and get help.
My post was a hypothetical post.

I'm not "an opponent fan".

It was meant to be sarcasm of the BS that I read on other chat forums.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I agree that Harbaugh took over a Niners team that had been terrible for the better part of a decade (and I mean terrible), therefor it was loaded with high 1st round picks. They've done well in later rounds as well, but Harbaugh didn't really have much to do with player development.

Now, there were a few coaches that couldn't get it done with that roster and Harbaugh did, but I'd still place Carroll over him because Carroll started with less. Ask the average Niner fan, and they'll go into how they've owned us the last 5 years, how Hairball owns the head to head with Pete, etc. Well, that's because Pete inherited a much worse team.

I'd also like to keep seeing this disrespect coming. Carroll and Schneider have assembled a team of hard asses that play angry with a chip on their collective shoulders. These guys will run through a wall for Pete, they respect him and are treated very well by him. Look at what Sherman said recently on a nfl network interview ....he basically said there's always going to be doubters and critics, and they will find plenty to fuel them. And this stuff just adds to it.

Pete needs to be higher, as some folks have said, due to the league trying to emulate what he's doing. He's changed a lot of minds. When he came back to the league, ALL of the pundits were saying his "rah rah" style wouldn't resonate with pro players and that he wouldn't be able to reach them and get their respect, like before. Well, he's put that theory on it's head.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
John Fox, Tom Coughlin and Mike Smith are ranked too high. Chip Kelly is too low and Pete should be top 3.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
The author literally put zero thought into this. The top quarter of that list has rings. The bottom quarter are either unproven new coaches or Gus Bradley and Dennis Allen who took it from behind due to talent deficiency or cap problems respectively. Chip Kelly at 18? He had the balls to roll with an unproven QB over the talented Turnover machine that is Mike VIck and made the playoffs with a terrible defense. I can care less about PC's spot there. He's proven to be an excellent players coach who can get the most out of guys with unique talents by molding his system to the players strengths. I think he's at least top 10, maybe top 5. I think there are other coaches who've gone further with less talent, which to me, is one of the benchmarks of a great coach.

Jim Harbaugh has world class talent and shoots himself in the foot every year. Sure, he's better than Singletary, but come on. Their window is going to start closing really fast and we'll see how good of a coach he really is. He's not top 3 by any stretch of the imagination.

Contrast that to brother John who got hamstrung by injuries, retirements, and Joe Flacco and was still competitive. Belichick got his team to the championship game with Tom Brady, his walking dead receiver corp and a defense missing its best players.

Yet Jim's rated better than John...

*Mike drop.
*Steps down from soapbox
*Climbs down ivory tower
*Rides away into sunset