NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:36 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000365040/nfl-head-coach-power-rankings


    7) Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
    Yes, Seahawks fans, we realize Carroll won it all. So has every coach remaining below -- save Jim Harbaugh. So, why is Carroll ranked beneath his rival? Because Seattle went 7-9 in each of Carroll's first two seasons with Seattle. He also trails Harbaugh in the head-to-head, four games to three. However, if Carroll gets his club back to at least the NFC Championship Game, he might fly past Harbaugh and vie for the spot just below Belichick.
    Image

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 14589
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 am
  • kidhawk wrote:http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000365040/nfl-head-coach-power-rankings


    7) Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
    Yes, Seahawks fans, we realize Carroll won it all. So has every coach remaining below -- save Jim Harbaugh. So, why is Carroll ranked beneath his rival? Because Seattle went 7-9 in each of Carroll's first two seasons with Seattle. He also trails Harbaugh in the head-to-head, four games to three. However, if Carroll gets his club back to at least the NFC Championship Game, he might fly past Harbaugh and vie for the spot just below Belichick.

    Did anyone point out to that dumbass, that Hairball inherited a stacked deck, while Pete Carroll had to start from scratch? LOL
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3758
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:13 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000365040/nfl-head-coach-power-rankings


    7) Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
    Yes, Seahawks fans, we realize Carroll won it all. So has every coach remaining below -- save Jim Harbaugh. So, why is Carroll ranked beneath his rival? Because Seattle went 7-9 in each of Carroll's first two seasons with Seattle. He also trails Harbaugh in the head-to-head, four games to three. However, if Carroll gets his club back to at least the NFC Championship Game, he might fly past Harbaugh and vie for the spot just below Belichick.

    Did anyone point out to that dumbass, that Hairball inherited a stacked deck, while Pete Carroll had to start from scratch? LOL


    Common sense rears it's ugly head once again :P

    But yeah, Pete's 7-9 teams had crap for talent. And they still beat New Orleans and had John Carlson not gone out with a concussion, could have possibly beaten Chicago and made it to the NFCCG!

    The 2 teams were night and day talent wise. Most of the players Harby started with are still there. Pete's players? Where are those players now? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 8896
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:20 am
  • An opponent fan's response...

    If you didn't realize it, Pete Carroll is the coach... he's not the GM

    Seattle's GM got lucky building that team with late-round draft choices.

    There's no way that model is sustainable.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    User avatar
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3120
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 am
  • I wouldn't expect a smart list from Elliot Harrison. He's not an idiot per se, but definitely a laggard. He's often slow to realize things that most other people figured out a while ago.

    I think the list makes sense if you look at it from an NFL resume standpoint. But, that's kind of a dumb way to make a list of top coaches. It's hilarious that John Fox is only one spot behind Carroll.

    Carroll wasn't the only coach to get shafted. Arians should be higher than #13. Pagano should be higher than #17. Chip Kelly should be higher than #18. And Trestman at #24? Really? Bradley is probably a league average HC, and he's at #26. I also have a hunch Pettine is going to be taste success in Cleveland. He's #31. You look at all the under-rated coaches on the list and they all have on thing in common, they are finding ways to win in new or unexpected ways. Harrison is a laggard, so his undervaluing them is only natural.

    I like Coughlin and have since his Jacksonville days. I thought it was a joke when they fired him. BUT, I never really got why people talk about him like he's a top 5 coach these days. He's an old school hard ass that isn't particularly famous for his scheme or player development. The two rings he got were almost 100% because of two things completely unrelated to his performance, a pair of fluky hot streaks by Eli Manning and having the stars align by winning nail biter after nail biter in ultra-high leverage late-postseason games, two things the Giants are most certainly not known for other than those two postseasons. Coughlin is a good coach, but he is lucky as hell to have a ring, much less two.

    Starting to think John Harbaugh might be over-rated, and McCarthy is an OC made to look like a good HC by a GOAT caliber QB. Not every coach with a GOAT caliber QB is over-rated though. Payton has proven his worth when a Drew Brees' led Saints team struggled without him (2012) and Belichick proved his worth without Brady (2008).
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11394
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 am
  • onanygivensunday wrote:An opponent fan's response...

    If you didn't realize it, Pete Carroll is the coach... he's not the GM

    Seattle's GM got lucky building that team with late-round draft choices.

    There's no way that model is sustainable.


    Someone needs to put the Bong down and get help.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2260
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:50 am
  • Haters gonna hate! Keep fueling the fire you national tools! :lol: :th2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12140
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm
  • This article appears to be written based on RINGZ. Worthless.

    I would think that PC would be higher just because he has actually changed how the other teams construct themselves. Bigger press corners are in vogue now because of Carroll's use of bigger corners that can jam WRs at the line and disrupt timing. Remember how weird analysts found it when Browner first started playing here?

    What about the use of Clemons as a 9-tech? That's a defensive alignment that gets MUCH more love and some emulation now whereas people were confused about why Clemons was lining up so wide when Carroll first started to use it.

    I suspect that heavier rotation of pass-rushers on the D-Line is the next thing teams start to emulate that PC really pushed to the forefront as a strategy. Making Cliff Avril a part-time player is going to earn Avril a smack-ton of money next year.

    I bet Chip Kelly ends up doing for the offensive side of the ball what Carroll has done for the defensive side of the ball. He was massively under-ranked as well.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3754
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:16 pm
  • Which NFL coach has seen the most meteoric rise over the last 2.5 seasons? Which coach is the entire league falling over themselves to emulate? Which coach took a team that finished 30th in weighted DVOA and turned it into team most NFL people think will be a dynasty in four years? Bill Belichick is one of the best coaches of all time, but even what he did in the first four years with New England does not compare, especially considering the defense that Carroll handed off to him. Seeing Pete #7 requires a near-miraculous lack of insight.

    That said, would we want to have it any other way? There was an article out in May where five NFL.com analysts picked the best CB duo in the NFL and NONE picked Seattle, and I loved it. We really should be thanking these guys, our team just won the Super Bowl 43-8 and they are still getting far too little respect. And a lack of respect is exactly what fuels our best players.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11394
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:23 pm
  • Im a homer so I wont touch Carroll.

    Jeff Fischer is ahead of Marvin Lewis.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:29 pm
  • Marvin Lewis at least actually makes the playoff most years, unlike Jeff Fisher.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3754
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 pm
  • onanygivensunday wrote:
    There's no way that model is sustainable.


    LOL. Yeah mining late round picks and turning them into All Pro starters where you get to still pay them like late round picks for three years instead of first round picks is a terrible way to sustain a championship team!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3781
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:45 pm
  • It's because people sometimes divorce drafting from player development. What the person is saying is that there is no way that Seattle continues to identify players that fit their mental and physical makeup (probably untrue) and develop them at the same rate (only untrue if we shed coaches and Carroll/Schneider cannot make decent replacement hires).

    It's not like a drafted player comes to us as a secret superstar we magically picked like one would pick a winning lottery ticket. The development of players here is systemically excellent, and opposing fans can only wish that Kris Richard forgets how to teach cornerbacks how to play or that Pete Carroll suddenly wakes up and forgets how to not only coach technique in the secondary, but how to motivate players across the team.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3754
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:56 pm
  • Downgrading coaches based on their roughest, earliest years? Belechick should be much lower.

    Trestman and Arians are too low. Garrett and Mike Smith are too high.

    Lists like this are nothing but clickbait.
    Seahawks fan since Topps 1985.
    User avatar
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 440
    Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 pm


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:19 pm
  • He starts off with,

    Yes, Seahawks fans, we realize.....


    He's trollin' :Dunno:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5528
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:34 pm
  • General Manager wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:An opponent fan's response...

    If you didn't realize it, Pete Carroll is the coach... he's not the GM

    Seattle's GM got lucky building that team with late-round draft choices.

    There's no way that model is sustainable.


    Someone needs to put the Bong down and get help.

    My post was a hypothetical post.

    I'm not "an opponent fan".

    It was meant to be sarcasm of the BS that I read on other chat forums.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    User avatar
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3120
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm
  • I agree that Harbaugh took over a Niners team that had been terrible for the better part of a decade (and I mean terrible), therefor it was loaded with high 1st round picks. They've done well in later rounds as well, but Harbaugh didn't really have much to do with player development.

    Now, there were a few coaches that couldn't get it done with that roster and Harbaugh did, but I'd still place Carroll over him because Carroll started with less. Ask the average Niner fan, and they'll go into how they've owned us the last 5 years, how Hairball owns the head to head with Pete, etc. Well, that's because Pete inherited a much worse team.

    I'd also like to keep seeing this disrespect coming. Carroll and Schneider have assembled a team of hard asses that play angry with a chip on their collective shoulders. These guys will run through a wall for Pete, they respect him and are treated very well by him. Look at what Sherman said recently on a nfl network interview ....he basically said there's always going to be doubters and critics, and they will find plenty to fuel them. And this stuff just adds to it.

    Pete needs to be higher, as some folks have said, due to the league trying to emulate what he's doing. He's changed a lot of minds. When he came back to the league, ALL of the pundits were saying his "rah rah" style wouldn't resonate with pro players and that he wouldn't be able to reach them and get their respect, like before. Well, he's put that theory on it's head.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3848
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:17 pm
  • kearly wrote:I wouldn't expect a smart list from Elliot Harrison. He's not an idiot per se


    Yes he is.
    User avatar
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:26 pm
  • The author literally put zero thought into this. The top quarter of that list has rings. The bottom quarter are either unproven new coaches or Gus Bradley and Dennis Allen who took it from behind due to talent deficiency or cap problems respectively. Chip Kelly at 18? He had the balls to roll with an unproven QB over the talented Turnover machine that is Mike VIck and made the playoffs with a terrible defense. I can care less about PC's spot there. He's proven to be an excellent players coach who can get the most out of guys with unique talents by molding his system to the players strengths. I think he's at least top 10, maybe top 5. I think there are other coaches who've gone further with less talent, which to me, is one of the benchmarks of a great coach.

    Jim Harbaugh has world class talent and shoots himself in the foot every year. Sure, he's better than Singletary, but come on. Their window is going to start closing really fast and we'll see how good of a coach he really is. He's not top 3 by any stretch of the imagination.

    Contrast that to brother John who got hamstrung by injuries, retirements, and Joe Flacco and was still competitive. Belichick got his team to the championship game with Tom Brady, his walking dead receiver corp and a defense missing its best players.

    Yet Jim's rated better than John...

    *Mike drop.
    *Steps down from soapbox
    *Climbs down ivory tower
    *Rides away into sunset
    -----------------------------------------
    2014 Adopt a rookie: Backpack Paul Richardson.

    "I can't wait to watch them lose their second attempt at a Super Bowl championship. Quest for 1 doesn't quite have the same ring to it" -Butt hurt niners fan.
    User avatar
    jdemps
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 261
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:11 pm
    Location: In the bay, trolling niner homers


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:06 pm
  • Pete inherits a team with Max Unger, Brandon Mebane, and Red Bryant

    Jim inherits a team with Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks, Dashon Goldson and more...

    Comparing their first 2 seasons seems legit :34853_doh:
    Meeker
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 351
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:33 pm


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:20 pm
  • Offensive HC rides the coattails of a Singletary-developed elite defense to early success, and he is top-3 without a single ring? Interesting.

    Granted, Harbs' conservative offensive philo and emphasis on power-run aids his defense (just as they do for Carroll), but let's be honest, it doesn't work without the elite talent he inherited on that side of the ball. According to the things I've read, Harbaugh doesn't even spend time with his defense (which is why Sherman switched sides in college).
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4059
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:27 pm
  • Anyone who watched the Super Bowl, knows we have the finest coaching staff in the league.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    User avatar
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *
     
    Posts: 5651
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Skagit County, WA


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:48 pm
  • If you toom the authors name off the article and told me Terry Blount wrote it I wouldn't doubt it.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:49 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Marvin Lewis at least actually makes the playoff most years, unlike Jeff Fisher.


    Yeah. That was my point.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm
  • Jim Harbaugh has never won a Super Bowl. John Harbaugh has never coached a team to 13 wins in a season.

    Mike McCarthy is the only other coach who has gone 45 consecutive games without losing by more than seven points, and both McCarthy and Carroll share that record. I'm excited to watch Carroll break that record against Green Bay on Sept. 4.

    In two years, Carroll will be the unanimous No. 1 choice on everyone's list. :th2thumbs:
    User avatar
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:32 pm
  • And how many coaches have won it all in the NFL and NCAA?
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 5828
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:And how many coaches have won it all in the NFL and NCAA?


    Wait! I kinda sorta remember that from one of my Super Bowl viewings. I think it was three, right? Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson and some other dude.

    EDIT - had to look it up - Barry Switzer (who inherited Johnson's team)
    User avatar
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *
     
    Posts: 2624
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:14 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 pm
  • I don't think Harbaugh is over-rated in the slightest. The way he's found a way to get production out of Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick shouldn't be brushed over. Yes, he inherited some talented players, but many of them weren't actually all that great pre-Harbaugh. Harbaugh was also a really damn good coach at Stanford as well. I have little doubt that the 49ers would collapse within a few years without him.

    Belichick is a great coach, one of the greatest ever. It would be fun if the early 2000s Patriots were in the NFL right now, how that team would match up vs. Seattle and SF. I think both Pete and Harbaugh are right there on that same level as coaches in terms of making their teams better. Pick your order, those guys should be the top three. I'd probably have Payton #4, and then it's a pretty steep dropoff to whoever's next.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11394
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:58 am
  • kearly wrote:Harbaugh was also a really damn good coach at Stanford as well.


    Harbaugh never won a single conference championship at Stanford-- and only finished ranked in the Top 25 once, his final year in 2010.

    Why is anyone surprised he hasn't won it all despite a stacked 49ers roster?
    User avatar
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:49 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:Anyone who watched the Super Bowl, knows we have the finest coaching staff in the league.


    I think the list is more of a body of work list, not just based on 2013........which is why Belicheat and Coughlin are at the top...........and also why Pete is #7, he hasn't done it long enough in the NFL.

    Coach's Power Polls are just as dumb as team and player power polls, arbitrary and without factual evidence.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3781
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:16 am
  • Riley12 wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:And how many coaches have won it all in the NFL and NCAA?


    Wait! I kinda sorta remember that from one of my Super Bowl viewings. I think it was three, right? Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson and some other dude.

    EDIT - had to look it up - Barry Switzer (who inherited Johnson's team)


    Ding ding ding.
    I think if this fact gets factored in, PC moves up at least 3 spots.
    Homer?
    Maybe, but it's an an achievement, that none above him can put on a resume.
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 5828
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 am
  • hawknation2014 wrote:In two years, Carroll will be the unanimous No. 1 choice on everyone's list. :th2thumbs:

    This is how I view all these lists and rankings. We are in the midst of non-12s slowly catching on. I don't blame them. Over the 80s and 90s they got used to equating Seahawks with poor play, and maybe the odd season of success with an upset victory here and there.

    Then the Holmgren era showed we could play, but the media (with their deeply ingrained Seahawks = losers narrative) had the excuse of "easy division." It's really only been 2 full seasons that the NFC West has become the best in the league. Some talking heads took notice when our Seahawks became "the team no one wants to face in the playoffs" of 2012. Even more came to the party when they picked us as preseason NFC champion favorites last year. Still more finally gave up the old ways and "got it" when we gave the All-World Broncos the Super Beatdown. A few stragglers need more convincing. Another couple rings and these lists and rankings won't even be a debate.

    When we consider that 4 short years ago this organization was nothing but question marks and doubts (for the national media definitely, but even for 12s in many ways) it's been a fun ride. Watching more respect creep in, watching minds change after visiting with our guys, watching our players and coaches move up the "best of" lists, and especially watching our Hawks prove all the naysayers wrong, has been hella entertaining.

    :snack:
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1589
    Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm
    Location: Olympia


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:27 pm

Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:16 am
  • dopeboy206 wrote:Just for fun...Where would Mike Holmgren rank on your lists of todays coaches. Lol

    Right next to John Fox.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11576
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:Just for fun...Where would Mike Holmgren rank on your lists of todays coaches. Lol

    Right next to John Fox.


    On that list how would you not put him next to Mcarthy and copy and paste all the same info? Not that I agree.

    Also I get the hole year he was out blah blah but doesnt anyine else think Payton is slightly over rated? Yes he missed a year and they werent good. I dont think they would have been that good anyway. Thats a huge distraction. Guys were suspended. Dont forget Spagnola.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:40 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:Just for fun...Where would Mike Holmgren rank on your lists of todays coaches. Lol

    Right next to John Fox.


    On that list how would you not put him next to Mcarthy and copy and paste all the same info? Not that I agree.

    Also I get the hole year he was out blah blah but doesnt anyine else think Payton is slightly over rated? Yes he missed a year and they werent good. I dont think they would have been that good anyway. Thats a huge distraction. Guys were suspended. Dont forget Spagnola.


    I love Sean Payton. He will do anything to motivate his guys. The Seahawks logo on their field was just one example of him using psychology on his players, didn't work, but they played hella better than the first time they were here. Do I think they would have been good with him that one year? Yes I do. Take Pete off our team and tell me how long we stay great.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11576
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:08 pm
  • kearly wrote:I don't think Harbaugh is over-rated in the slightest. The way he's found a way to get production out of Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick shouldn't be brushed over. Yes, he inherited some talented players, but many of them weren't actually all that great pre-Harbaugh. Harbaugh was also a really damn good coach at Stanford as well. I have little doubt that the 49ers would collapse within a few years without him.

    Belichick is a great coach, one of the greatest ever. It would be fun if the early 2000s Patriots were in the NFL right now, how that team would match up vs. Seattle and SF. I think both Pete and Harbaugh are right there on that same level as coaches in terms of making their teams better. Pick your order, those guys should be the top three. I'd probably have Payton #4, and then it's a pretty steep dropoff to whoever's next.


    Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, and Frank Gore all played well enough to make the Pro Bowl in years before Harbaugh's arrival. Plus he already had guys like Staley and Crabtree on the roster. That's a pretty darn good core from which to start with. IMO it's a lot tougher to start over from scratch like Pete did than get a roster of underperformers over the hump.

    I give Harbaugh a ton of credit, too, and perhaps he should be rated higher than Pete. But not # 3 when he doesn't have a Lombardi.
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 786
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:46 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:Vernon Davis, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, and Frank Gore all played well enough to make the Pro Bowl in years before Harbaugh's arrival. Plus he already had guys like Staley and Crabtree on the roster. That's a pretty darn good core from which to start with. IMO it's a lot tougher to start over from scratch like Pete did than get a roster of underperformers over the hump.

    I give Harbaugh a ton of credit, too, and perhaps he should be rated higher than Pete. But not # 3 when he doesn't have a Lombardi.


    I know pro-bowls are kind of a dumb way of measuring excellence and that winning teams get more pro-bowlers, but the 49ers have had 8, 9, and 8 pro-bowlers in Harbaugh's three seasons. A lot of those guys made their first pro-bowls under Harbaugh. From 2003 to 2010 the 49ers were mostly crappy and averaged roughly 2 pro-bowlers per season.

    He definitely inherited a roster with some talent on it, but at the same time I think it's pretty obvious he's one of the best coaches in the league at maximizing his existing roster.

    Scottemojo wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:Just for fun...Where would Mike Holmgren rank on your lists of todays coaches. Lol

    Right next to John Fox.


    This made sense until I thought about it for two seconds. Holmgren (along with Ron Wolfe) turned a bad Packers team into a team that has won almost non-stop since they traded for Brett Favre. The Packers 96'-97' seasons were the only back to back seasons in the last 20 years with better DVOA than the two Seattle just posted. He also put together one of the best assistant coaching staffs of all time.

    In Seattle, Holmgren inherited a team that had gone almost a decade without a winning season and built a Super Bowl team from scratch.

    He totaled three Super Bowls, winning one.

    In the case of Fox, his tenure at Carolina was marked by inconsistency. 7-9, 11-5, 7-9, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9, 12-4, 8-8, 2-14. Never had two winning seasons back to back. (Kind of reminds me of Jeff Fisher at Tennessee). Part of that is Delhomme being an erratic QB, part of that is the NFC South being an erratic division, and part of that is on Fox.

    I give Fox no credit for anything in Denver. It's Manning's and Elway's team. Fox's involvement there is about as deep as a manager in baseball.

    Fox has been to a Super Bowl, and carried to another. The latter of which was one of the more pathetic coaching performances I've ever seen in a Super Bowl.

    Of course, I'm guessing you didn't really mean to compare the coaches, only to say that Holmgren probably would rank in the #7-#9 range. Which is close enough I guess, though I'd personally put him above McCarthy and probably in the same area as Coughlin.

    Still, there was no way I could pass on the chance to rip on John Fox. I should probably cut the guy a break, now that both XLVIII and the 2005 NFCCG came his expense.

    Regarding Payton, I agree with you 100%.
    Last edited by kearly on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11394
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm
  • kearly wrote:I know pro-bowls are kind of a dumb way of measuring excellence and that winning teams get more pro-bowlers, but the 49ers have had 8, 9, and 8 pro-bowlers in Harbaugh's three seasons. A lot of those guys made their first pro-bowls under Harbaugh. From 2003 to 2010 the 49ers were mostly crappy and averaged roughly 2 pro-bowlers per season.

    He definitely inherited a roster with some talent on it, but at the same time I think it's pretty obvious he's one of the best coaches in the league at maximizing his existing roster.


    I'm not rapping Harbaugh. He's a great coach. But #3 when he's Lombardi-less is too high.

    Think of it this way: If Harbaugh and Carroll were both on the market, which coach do you think would get the best offer?
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 786
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:22 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    kearly wrote:I know pro-bowls are kind of a dumb way of measuring excellence and that winning teams get more pro-bowlers, but the 49ers have had 8, 9, and 8 pro-bowlers in Harbaugh's three seasons. A lot of those guys made their first pro-bowls under Harbaugh. From 2003 to 2010 the 49ers were mostly crappy and averaged roughly 2 pro-bowlers per season.

    He definitely inherited a roster with some talent on it, but at the same time I think it's pretty obvious he's one of the best coaches in the league at maximizing his existing roster.


    I'm not rapping Harbaugh. He's a great coach. But #3 when he's Lombardi-less is too high. It's like saying Dan Marino was better than Joe Montana.

    Think of it this way: If Harbaugh and Carroll were both on the market, which coach do you think would get the best offer?
    User avatar
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 786
    Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am
    Location: Kennewick, WA


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:48 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:Think of it this way: If Harbaugh and Carroll were both on the market, which coach do you think would get the best offer?


    Tough answer. Harbaugh is more universally respected as a coach and is much younger. But all those teams that have wanted to copy Seattle the last couple years would probably go all out for Carroll.

    For me the top four coaches:

    1. Carroll
    2. Harbaugh
    3. Belichick
    4. Payton

    Then there's everyone else.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11394
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 am
  • kearly wrote:Harbaugh is more universally respected as a coach


    The Times They Are A-Changin'. That may have been true pre-Super Bowl, but it is no longer the case. Carroll now has more momentum than any other coach. He is the most well-liked coach in the NFL by the players and is a favorite to repeat this year. Where Harbaugh was handed a team full of Pro Bowlers, GMs respect the way Carroll has built his team from nothing.
    User avatar
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 am
  • kearly wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:Think of it this way: If Harbaugh and Carroll were both on the market, which coach do you think would get the best offer?


    Tough answer. Harbaugh is more universally respected as a coach and is much younger. But all those teams that have wanted to copy Seattle the last couple years would probably go all out for Carroll.

    For me the top four coaches:

    1. Carroll
    2. Harbaugh
    3. Belichick
    4. Payton

    Then there's everyone else.


    How can you put Carroll and Harbaugh above Belichick? Dudes won 3 SB's and is roundly considered one of the greatest minds in football.

    Homeritis strikes again!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3781
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:08 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:Think of it this way: If Harbaugh and Carroll were both on the market, which coach do you think would get the best offer?


    Tough answer. Harbaugh is more universally respected as a coach and is much younger. But all those teams that have wanted to copy Seattle the last couple years would probably go all out for Carroll.

    For me the top four coaches:

    1. Carroll
    2. Harbaugh
    3. Belichick
    4. Payton

    Then there's everyone else.


    How can you put Carroll and Harbaugh above Belichick? Dudes won 3 SB's and is roundly considered one of the greatest minds in football.

    Homeritis strikes again!


    Seriously, gotta give credit it where it's due. 3 SBs, 5 appearances, and what did it say 11 playoffs in the last 14 years?!? As much as we're DREAMING of the Seahawks being the next dynasty. Belichick actually accomplished having a Dynasty in the salary cap era. As much as I hate his interviews, he's one hell of a coach.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 888
    Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 pm


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:45 am
  • ZagHawk wrote:Seriously, gotta give credit it where it's due. 3 SBs, 5 appearances, and what did it say 11 playoffs in the last 14 years?!? As much as we're DREAMING of the Seahawks being the next dynasty. Belichick actually accomplished having a Dynasty in the salary cap era. As much as I hate his interviews, he's one hell of a coach.


    I too would put Belichick No. 1 and Carroll No. 2. However, it should be acknowledged that Belichick hasn't won a Super Bowl in ten years. Also, his career is somewhat tainted by his blatant cheating in Spygate. I do think Carroll needs to win a second Super Bowl to have a legitimate claim at No. 1. Coughlin also has an argument to be ahead of Carroll due to his two Super Bowls.

    If Carroll were to repeat this year, then the entire media landscape would shift under our feet. Carroll would be close to truly sanctified ground.
    User avatar
    hawknation2014
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2314
    Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:04 am
  • Coughlin is a hard coach to figure. When his teams are bad, they are terrible. When they win super bowls, they muddle through the season before doing it. But come playoff time, he can go on the road anywhere and win. And devise a plan for any team they face.

    Sean Payton has a purpose for every word he says. He knows when to stay out. He stays out of Ryan's way, and Ryan is going to make that D fearsome.

    Jim Harbaugh does it his way and wins. His offensive blocking sets are NFL unique, his formations are weird, his pass routes are often really one man routes...and it works. He might be a class A douche nozzle, but he is a damn good coach.

    John Harbaugh is what Jim would be like if Jim were not such a freak. Maybe the bad babysitter only got to one of the kids, I dunno.

    Belichick gets pooped on because they haven't won since spygate, but he is awesome. He spots NFL trends and tries to get ahead of them. When he went to his 3 TE sets as a mainstay I thought he was nuts, but it worked. When Brady went down in game 1, he still got 11 wins.

    If Pete could not choose his players, we aren't talking about him being this good. And since separating Pete the personnel guy from Pete the coach is impossible, lets just say top 5 and be done with it. Extra credit for how he handles the media.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11576
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:51 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Coughlin is a hard coach to figure. When his teams are bad, they are terrible. When they win super bowls, they muddle through the season before doing it. But come playoff time, he can go on the road anywhere and win. And devise a plan for any team they face.


    Old school hard ass coaches have a very hard time with bad teams.

    When things are going well, players will buy into the Tyrant coaches like Parcells, Belichick and Coughlin because they see that way of doing things is working. But when things are going bad players (now more than ever) will say "F it, we're losing, I'm not going to listen to this A-hole." Then things snowball out of control, like it did for the Giants last year.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3781
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:10 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:How can you put Carroll and Harbaugh above Belichick? Dudes won 3 SB's and is roundly considered one of the greatest minds in football.

    Homeritis strikes again!


    I probably am a homer, because I think if Carroll coaches until he's 70, he will have more rings than Belichick will. Rarely in NFL history have you seen a team this stacked, this young, this sustainable and so cutting edge.

    Regarding Harbaugh, I honestly think that if you give him Tom Brady and put him in the AFC East, and he probably wins 14-15 games every year. Belichick has had success without Brady, but not on the same level as Harbaugh the last 3 years.

    I respect Belichick because he's found different ways to win during his career. Some of his teams were better than any team Seattle or SF has yet fielded. But in terms of the current Patriots, swap them with the Rams and I don't think they make the playoffs last year. How do you weigh current excellence versus resume? I learn more towards the former when talking about who the best coaches in the NFL are RIGHT NOW.
    Last edited by kearly on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11394
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: NFL.com Head Coach Power Poll
Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:17 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:How can you put Carroll and Harbaugh above Belichick? Dudes won 3 SB's and is roundly considered one of the greatest minds in football.

    Homeritis strikes again!


    I probably am a homer, because I think if Carroll coaches until he's 70, he will have more rings than Belichick will. Rarely in NFL history have you seen a team this stacked, this young, and this cutting edge.

    Regarding Harbaugh, I honestly think that if you give him Tom Brady and put him in the AFC East, and he probably wins 14-15 games every year.


    So your power poll is from the future? In that case, I change my #1 to Chris Peterson.

    I think he'll lead the Huskies to a couple Rose Bowls, then jump to the NFL where he'll win 4 SB's in 10 years with whoever hires him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3781
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Next


It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information