Brock & Salk is back!

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Brock & Salk is back!
Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:40 am
  • I usually listen to the show atleast a few times weekly but have not been listening for a few weeks since its the most boring part of football offseason and I'm not that interested in the Mariners. But during this time Wassell has left the show? Thats too bad. He was always very interesting, having often differing (non homer) opinions on stuff and he presented them in a very funny manner. I was looking forward to having the old team back (Brock, Salk, Wassell) but I guess the good old times never return. There was a good balance on that northwestern passive aggressiveness and straightforward eastern sports hate :D that I really enjoyed. Oh well, if not for Wassell, maybe they bring back Boy Howdy? ;)

Soon its training camp and the time to start listening again. My hopes are high on the show.

P.s. Podcasts rock! I almost feel like a seattleite driving to work in the morning with the after game Pete Carroll show on the radio, even if the drive physically takes place in Hellsinki. :)
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:59 am
  • I wonder with this new time slot if Brock and Salk will be able to always catch Pete before they go off the air? A few times over the years, Pete has had to come in after 10:00 a.m. Not many, but a few times. I guess on those occasions MIchael Grey will have to handle the duty solo?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:44 pm
  • Yeah, no big deal if Grey has to do it sometimes IMO. I'm looking forward to Grey's solo act.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 pm
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:Yes, you are. And yes you are.

That is a lot of words rationalizing an incorrect opinion. I think maybe one thing you are forgetting, they are on the radio and are working for ratings. There is an element of playing things up to the audience that you are clearly missing. It is a little irresponsible to spout opinions as fact, fortunately there are some people here (Rock, thank you for your FACTUAL observation) that have the ability to see through that stuff.

Well, I did say multiple times that I was expressing an opinion and giving observations, I even said I might be wrong. Where did I say the word "fact?" Is it so wrong for people to share observations?

As far as whether I am on to something or not, I don't really think you making empty allusions to things really makes you any kind of authority figure. I've stated my observations. All I've heard from you is "nuh uh," with some statements that were bordering on personal attacks at me. Disagree if you want but try to handle it a bit better. No reason to make things personal just because you disagree.

Personally, I thought my observations were pretty fair. I made a reference to relationships I've had with friends that are similar to the dynamic Wassell and O'Neil have. I never said their feuding is ongoing or beyond repair. They got along great on the air during the past week (Danny calling in), but during that same convo they each acknowledged stubbing each others toes in the past and learning lessons from that.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:54 pm
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    Barthawk wrote:I think Kip is just pissed because Danny doesn't answer his questions during the Seahawks chat...

Are those on 710's site? I'm unfamiliar. That said, quite honestly if I asked Danny a sports question there are much worse outcomes than not getting an answer.

FlyHawksFly wrote:I don't post here much or at all really, but I am friends with some people at 710, and this post could not be further from the truth. This poster is using his own dislike of Danny and projecting it on to other people he doesn't even know. If you don't like Danny, so be it, but don't speak for people who you don't even know (clearly).

To be fair, I am only speculating. (lots of words)

Maybe I am wrong (lots of words)

Yes, you are. And yes you are.

That is a lot of words rationalizing an incorrect opinion. I think maybe one thing you are forgetting, they are on the radio and are working for ratings. There is an element of playing things up to the audience that you are clearly missing. It is a little irresponsible to spout opinions as fact, fortunately there are some people here (Rock, thank you for your FACTUAL observation) that have the ability to see through that stuff.

Danny? Is that you?

Anyway, I disagree. There were plenty of awkward moments on the brock and danny show and oneill was a mercurial host. I think it was Wyman who called him "that moist fellow." I about busted a gut laughing.

But to me, the uncomfortable pauses and stammering moments were not "playing things up" but an actual issue with danny being a reactionary idiot. It's pretty easy to recognize something that is being "played up" for ratings or to get people talking, then there is just plain bad radio.

I'm glad Danny is gone because now I can listen to good football talk without listening to that loser go off on some unsuspecting caller just because he's in a bad mood. And most of the time he didn't use facts but instead a heavy dose of hyperbole. And I won't have to listen to him kissing butt on other ESPN hosts. Or hear him tell Brock that it bothers him that Brock is so self-deprecating. It's really not his place to call out Brock's mannerisms when it's just Huard being humble. I get the impression that it pisses danny off because he wants to brag up his relationship with Brock and would rather have him brag up his history than talk about how he was always 2nd string QB.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:13 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    FlyHawksFly wrote:I'm glad Danny is gone

Danny isn't gone. He's just on later in the day now.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:43 pm
  • HawkHack wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Salk will be the second best radio host in the area. Dick Fain and Brock will have a contest for worst sidekick. Shame is that Salk is up against the best radio host in the area.

Mitch in the Morning?

Lord preserve us. Is he still on?

I knew there was a reason I didn't listen to 950 any more.

Worst. Host. Ever. Annoying, whiney, puerile, misogynistic.

I'll take Mitch over Salk any day. Mitch is kind of funny and he asks all the questions ppl are afraid to ask and isn't afraid of his guests. I also prefer KJR just can't stand Elise. One person I can't stand is Groz. Like I said on my previous post. He sucks.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:34 am
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:
    Yes, you are. And yes you are.

With your insider's edge, why don't you enlighten us with some specifics? Give us an in depth look at how it all worked. Why did they move Wassell to begin with? Why move O'Neill? Don't just say a poster is wrong, educate us.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 am
  • Is it just like old times?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:52 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Is it just like old times?

I listened a bit this morning, and Salk seemed a little more subdued than I remember..........but still good stuff.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am
  • I nearly fell asleep with the baseball talk, might take some time for em to ease back into their groove honestly.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:55 am
  • I was pretty bummed when Salk left the show for Boston and I tried really hard to like Danny but I never could get into him. I just found Danny to be too goofy and got tired of his humor and his whole rap thing. To be fair I did like him when he wasn't trying to be funny or show his rap/hip hop cred.

I was stoked to hear Salk was coming back! I was also curious at how he was viewed in Boston, I couldn't find a single nice article or thread about him, I was shocked to see he was basically run out of Boston and was hated so much.

Anyhow maybe it's just his chemistry with Brock but I'm happy he's back!
    Seatown001
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:57 am

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:50 pm
  • HawkHack wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Salk will be the second best radio host in the area. Dick Fain and Brock will have a contest for worst sidekick. Shame is that Salk is up against the best radio host in the area.

Mitch in the Morning?

100% This ^^ Mitch is the worst thing I've ever heard in the morning.
    Melencause
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:20 pm
  • Melencause wrote:
    HawkHack wrote:
    kearly wrote:

Mitch in the Morning?

100% This ^^ Mitch is the worst thing I've ever heard in the morning.

Mitch is horrible and boring. He takes 8 years to get to a point and then repeats himself. His only redeeming quality is he is an excellent interviewer who does his homework, but that's all he does well.

Its nice to have another option in that time slot, something 710 should have done from the beginning!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:32 pm
  • KJR is an abortion, IMO.

710 is great any time Brock or Salk is talking, and I enjoy Michael Grey. I can live with Jim Moore's schtick. I enjoy Tom Wassell.

Danny O'Neil sucks, and I'll type that here even if Danny...I mean FlyHawksFly...is here being as defensive and petulant on this message board as he is on air.

I wish 710 would cover the Sounders more extensively. They are a local team in a growing league that more and more people seem to care about, after all.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:38 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I wish 710 would cover the Sounders more extensively. They are a local team in a growing league that more and more people seem to care about, after all.

This, HELL YES, THIS!

I've been trying to learn as much about soccer as I can, I'm really that guy just watching and the only thing I understand is scoring, and a few rules.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:35 pm
  • I actually think one of the problems with Brock and Danny is that Danny was trying too hard to be the funny one to make up for Brock's more straight-man, analytical personality. I think Danny will be better with Jim Moore because Jim can do the "funny" guy role better than him, and Danny can take on a more serious role on that show. I agree that I found Danny not very good with Brock, but a better match with some of the other 710 talent.
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 pm
  • Seatown001 wrote:...
    I was stoked to hear Salk was coming back! I was also curious at how he was viewed in Boston, I couldn't find a single nice article or thread about him, I was shocked to see he was basically run out of Boston and was hated so much.

You could clearly hear this in the first hour as Salk did everything he could to avoid talking about him being back in the show and the reasons behind it... I'm a bit disappointed. I thought he could have made fun of himself using that stuff...

Frasier Crane never went back to Boston, and neither should have Mike Salk! :D
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:12 am
  • I really enjoyed having Salk back. Top quality radio right there. As someone who listens to pretty much all of their podcasts, my days have changed fkr the better.

CalgaryHawk wrote:I actually think one of the problems with Brock and Danny is that Danny was trying too hard to be the funny one to make up for Brock's more straight-man, analytical personality. I think Danny will be better with Jim Moore because Jim can do the "funny" guy role better than him, and Danny can take on a more serious role on that show. I agree that I found Danny not very good with Brock, but a better match with some of the other 710 talent.

I agree with this. He's much better when not with Brock.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:36 am
  • kearly wrote:
    FlyHawksFly wrote:Yes, you are. And yes you are.

Well, I did say multiple times that I was expressing an opinion and giving observations, I even said I might be wrong. Where did I say the word "fact?" Is it so wrong for people to share observations?

As far as whether I am on to something or not, I don't really think you making empty allusions to things really makes you any kind of authority figure. I've stated my observations. All I've heard from you is "nuh uh," with some statements that were bordering on personal attacks at me. Disagree if you want but try to handle it a bit better. No reason to make things personal just because you disagree.

Personally, I thought my observations were pretty fair. I made a reference to relationships I've had with friends that are similar to the dynamic Wassell and O'Neil have. I never said their feuding is ongoing or beyond repair. They got along great on the air during the past week (Danny calling in), but during that same convo they each acknowledged stubbing each others toes in the past and learning lessons from that.

Bordering on personal attacks? At what point did I even venture close to that line? Listen, you can make up whatever storyline you want, what I am telling you is, you are wrong. You are taking a small percentage of their interaction and extrapolating the overall composure from it. There is a huge difference between "stubbing toes" and the wild accusations of them hating each other. I think the burden of proof in this situation should be much more than "I heard tension on the radio, they must be mortal enemies." Yes I could give you specific examples of who they are and why they don't hate each other, and are in fact good friend, but that would be betraying the trust I have my friends. Besides, when taking a stand that two people, you have clearly never met, hate each other I think the burden of proof should be a bit more than some half assed psychotherapy over the airwaves.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:56 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    I wish 710 would cover the Sounders more extensively. They are a local team in a growing league that more and more people seem to care about, after all.

Radio programming has to do with a three things:

1. Program directors
    2. Personalities
    3. Station obligations

I'm a HUGE Sounders fan, season ticket holder since day #1, and I was naive at first when we got a soccer team..........I thought the staions would jump all over covering the Sounders because the NW is such a huge soccer area.

But then I found out how radio works. The Sounders are not broadcast on 950 or 710, so neither station is obligated to make time to cover the team in order to pimp their ratings. NONE of the radio personalities or program managers on either station are into soccer........and some like Mitch are flat out soccer haters.

Fortunately a couple of the personalities like Softy, Groz, Gasman (before he left) have come around after attending matches for the past couple of years. But it's still just the once or twice a week for 10 minute segment with Sigi. IMO it's unforgivable to have 40k at matches and not commit more programming time to cater to the huge Sounder fanbase in Seattle more than this.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:17 am
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    FlyHawksFly wrote:Yes, you are. And yes you are.

Bordering on personal attacks? At what point did I even venture close to that line? Listen, you can make up whatever storyline you want, what I am telling you is, you are wrong. You are taking a small percentage of their interaction and extrapolating the overall composure from it. There is a huge difference between "stubbing toes" and the wild accusations of them hating each other. I think the burden of proof in this situation should be much more than "I heard tension on the radio, they must be mortal enemies." Yes I could give you specific examples of who they are and why they don't hate each other, and are in fact good friend, but that would be betraying the trust I have my friends. Besides, when taking a stand that two people, you have clearly never met, hate each other I think the burden of proof should be a bit more than some half assed psychotherapy over the airwaves.

Since Wassell is producing Danny, Dave, and Moore I think FlyHawksFly's explanation of 710 is closer to reality.

Kearly, Moore quotes/references you from time to time. Hell, if you wrote Moore they might have you on the show.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:17 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:

Radio programming has to do with a three things:

1. Program directors
    2. Personalities
    3. Station obligations

I'm a HUGE Sounders fan, season ticket holder since day #1, and I was naive at first when we got a soccer team..........I thought the staions would jump all over covering the Sounders because the NW is such a huge soccer area.

But then I found out how radio works. The Sounders are not broadcast on 950 or 710, so neither station is obligated to make time to cover the team in order to pimp their ratings. NONE of the radio personalities or program managers on either station are into soccer........and some like Mitch are flat out soccer haters.

Fortunately a couple of the personalities like Softy, Groz, Gasman (before he left) have come around after attending matches for the past couple of years. But it's still just the once or twice a week for 10 minute segment with Sigi. IMO it's unforgivable to have 40k at matches and not commit more programming time to cater to the huge Sounder fanbase in Seattle more than this.

The problem is that the majority of the soccer fans aren't interested in hearing about the other sports, and the majority of the rest of the fans aren't interested in soccer. Most of the diehard Seahawks fans I know would turn the dial as soon as a soccer guest came on, but wouldn't for a baseball or even basketball guest. Cater to the soccer fanbase and risk alienating your longtime core demographic?
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:27 am
  • Tical21 wrote:The problem is that the majority of the soccer fans aren't interested in hearing about the other sports, and the majority of the rest of the fans aren't interested in soccer. Most of the diehard Seahawks fans I know would turn the dial as soon as a soccer guest came on, but wouldn't for a baseball or even basketball guest. Cater to the soccer fanbase and risk alienating your longtime core demographic?

Since I AM a die hard Sounders fan, I can tell you you're wrong. MOST Sounders fans also love other sports, which is why I post on this forum as well as the Sounders forums, I love my Hawks too.

We all grew up loving our Hawks, Mariners and Sonics...........we just happen to love the sport of soccer as well. So no, Sounders fans aren't just made up of snobby soccer fans that don't like other sports. That's a gross misconception.

As far as non soccer fans turning the station, it can't be any worse than most of us turning the station when we hear about an upcoming segment interview with the pitching coach of the M's, or national basketball analyst talking about Lebron.

IMO if a sport is popular, it will garner the ratings. This is more of a "as a station manager/personality we don't care about soccer, so we don't want to talk about it." I guarantee you if there were 3-4 more segments per week dedicated to the Sounders, fans of the team would search that out and ratings would be good.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:The problem is that the majority of the soccer fans aren't interested in hearing about the other sports, and the majority of the rest of the fans aren't interested in soccer. Most of the diehard Seahawks fans I know would turn the dial as soon as a soccer guest came on, but wouldn't for a baseball or even basketball guest. Cater to the soccer fanbase and risk alienating your longtime core demographic?

Since I AM a die hard Sounders fan, I can tell you you're wrong. MOST Sounders fans also love other sports, which is why I post on this forum as well as the Sounders forums, I love my Hawks too.

We all grew up loving our Hawks, Mariners and Sonics...........we just happen to love the sport of soccer as well. So no, Sounders fans aren't just made up of snobby soccer fans that don't like other sports. That's a gross misconception.

As far as non soccer fans turning the station, it can't be any worse than most of us turning the station when we hear about an upcoming segment interview with the pitching coach of the M's, or national basketball analyst talking about Lebron.

IMO if a sport is popular, it will garner the ratings. This is more of a "as a station manager/personality we don't care about soccer, so we don't want to talk about it." I guarantee you if there were 3-4 more segments per week dedicated to the Sounders, fans of the team would search that out and ratings would be good.

And the rest of us would start looking for choices to fill our day. I know you won't agree, but the vast majority of the current demographic would not think of turning the dial when the M's pitching coach comes on or when they were going to talk about the Lebron story. That's what we're into.

I know a ton of hardcore soccer and Sounders fans. I grew up in a soccer area. While everybody out here is in love with the Seahawks, those guys wouldn't ever listen to anything baseball or basketball related, ever. You see a little crossover, but not a lot. Those guys would probably tune in to a Sounders segment, but then would quickly turn the dial once it ended. Are those numbers high enough to risk alienating your demographic? I don't have much against soccer. Well, that may be a lie. However, if you want to alienate me, talk soccer. Hopefully I'll come back when the segment is over.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:58 am
  • Tical21 wrote:And the rest of us would start looking for choices to fill our day.

The rest of who?

That's my point. 40k fans per match + highest TV ratings of any MLS team = enough soccer/sports fans to garner radio ratings.

Maybe you and others aren't into it, but there would be enough to warrant more Sounders programming. That's all I'm trying to say. We are a well rounded sports town, and our sports radio should reflect that.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:35 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:And the rest of us would start looking for choices to fill our day.

The rest of who?

That's my point. 40k fans per match + highest TV ratings of any MLS team = enough soccer/sports fans to garner radio ratings.

Maybe you and others aren't into it, but there would be enough to warrant more Sounders programming. That's all I'm trying to say. We are a well rounded sports town, and our sports radio should reflect that.

Hate to be a "me too" guy, but I most certainly skip any Sounders/Soccer talk when I'm listening to the podcasts. I have nothing against the Sounders, and I've even attended a couple matches, but the game simply isn't interesting to me the way football is. Though I agree that there's a pocket of superfans that looks to be growing, I would tend to agree with the assessment that the majority of the region would not care to hear Sounder talk in any way, shape, or form. Again, that's just my 2 cents, and sorry to help hijack the topic.
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am
  • I'd like to hear about Sounders, although Seahawks is the only reason I listen to the shows and I often stop listening when the Mariners stuff starts. Baseball is a fun game to watch at the stadium but the conversation around it (or watching it from TV) just does not appear as interesting at all for me.

But I dont think B&S would have much to say about Sounders. It would take people who understand the sport. Even baseball talk seems kind of forced from Brock, who obviously is a spectacular football commentator.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am
  • I hate to pile on but I would also change the channel if they started a lot of sounders talk ;(

I think it's great the sounders have such awesome local support and I hope they do great but for me soccer is the most boring sport ever created and I've given some serious effort to like it. My wife is from Brazil and I had to watch every game of the World Cup (until Brazil got spanked anyway) and it was pure torture for me.

So yeah, wish em all the best as long as I don't have to hear about it.
    Seatown001
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:55 am
  • And I cut the radio off for NBA talk and any talk of golf, but our personal preferences are not quite the point.

The argument is that there are not enough soccer fans that would listen to the station to make up for the loss of listeners that would cut off the radio when the soccer talk started. I don't even know how anyone here can quantify that outside of guesswork, but I was just saying what I personally want to hear before it turned into a referendum on AM sports listeners and what they like.

I see a ton of Sounders gear here on the Eastside, so I know that it isn't just hipster Seattle-ites that want to see or hear or watch or talk about soccer, but beyond that, I have no idea how many of those guys listen to AM sports radio.

I will say that it's a shame that there is more talk about a major league in which we don't even have a team than there is about a major league in which we do.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:And I cut the radio off for NBA talk and any talk of golf, but our personal preferences are not quite the point.

I see a ton of Sounders gear here on the Eastside, so I know that it isn't just hipster Seattle-ites that want to see or hear or watch or talk about soccer, but beyond that, I have no idea how many of those guys listen to AM sports radio.

Isn't the Eastside basically just composed of ex-hipster Seattle-ites?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:And I cut the radio off for NBA talk and any talk of golf, but our personal preferences are not quite the point.

Isn't the Eastside basically just composed of ex-hipster Seattle-ites?

Not really. Bellevue is full of soulless yuppies. Renton is full of families and immigrants from Mexico and Africa. Woodinville is full of your typical middle Americans. Etc., etc. IMO, the suburbs here are way more varied and diverse than most places that I've lived.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 pm
  • Woodinville is more Rural compared to a Suburb like Renton or Burien, although that whole area is getting bigger as well.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:42 pm
  • Sounders don't get air time because they don't draw ratings. Trust me, if they did, the stations would be all about it. I've talked to some folks in sports radio. They pay VERY close attention to ratings. That and how much phone call/text response different topics get. The Sounders do not attract even close as other more mainstream sports topics do.

Your reason? One, non-Sounders fans tune out. Two, you simply do not gain enough Sounders fans to replace them. Not even close. You can reference the size of Sounders crowds all you want. But the truth is Sounders crowds are a VERY VERY VERY mainstream section of the public. You got you hardcore fans singing songs, sure. But a large % of the crowds are not exactly what you'd call the demo for sports talk radio. Families, women, casual sports fans, hipster non-sports fans too cool for mainstream sports but who like "football", soccer only fans. It's the live sporting event for folks who don't obsess as much about sports as your average sports radio listener. Simply put, the venn diagram of a Sounders crowd and the type of sports fan who listens to people talk about it on the radio do not overlap much at all. Yes, I know that here are fans there who listen to sports radio and like other sports. I know there are. But nowhere near the amount you'd need to justify using valuable radio time to station programmers and sales execs.

And if you're looking for Sounders talk. 710 does actually do a weekly Sounders show. Airs on Saturday from 8 to 9 am. You can podcast it here:

http://mynorthwest.com/category/sports_ ... C%20Weekly

And Michael Grey has a Sounders podcast as well on 710. Think it's web only:

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=574&p=1096&n=SoundersCast

They're covering it. But in the current market and with the current status of the MLS, weekly podcasts or radio shows are all that's justifiable.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 pm
  • It's been nice having Salk back with Brock in the morning. The only thing that pisses me off is that the station that carries the show here in the Tri-Cities still plays Mike & Mike until 9am, then switches over to 710 for the rest of the day. I've been listening to the show on the 710 app on my phone but I need to get a bluetooth speaker for work.
    mbtitleist
    NET Rookie

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:11 pm
  • To gain a fan base you need to see the game, people that are not soccer fans either don't understand it or have not been exposed enough on television to gain a mainstream interest and learn how the game is played. It;s not on major television, the biggest impact medium of any sport. Tell me why the last Olympics were hardly a buzz, it was moved off a Major network and on cable instead. Years of the US watching the Olympics and it being talked about died almost, I wonder if they change it back? Back to point, it needs to be mainstream marketed to be a mainstream topic. It needs to be on TV and on the major Networks, advertised, promoted etc.

Little Jimmy watched his NFL, MLB, and NBA heros growing up on television, learned the rules of the game etc, as he got older may have played and or started buying tickets.

The fan base we have is hard core or people that took their kids to soccer practice and have tried to gain an interest. Still you look around High Schools and it's the big three dominating, scare tactics about football still hasn't created a huge impact, the soccer mom and dads are still trying to find a way to get their kids to play in high school.

Thats why talk radio isn't such a great interest still in my opinion. Besides if you are going to dream and live in the US you want to play Football, Baseball, and Basketball, paychecks are not even close. You don't focus on Soccer.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:48 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:To gain a fan base you need to see the game, people that are not soccer fans either don't understand it or have not been exposed enough on television to gain a mainstream interest and learn how the game is played. It;s not on major television, the biggest impact medium of any sport. Tell me why the last Olympics were hardly a buzz, it was moved off a Major network and on cable instead. Years of the US watching the Olympics and it being talked about died almost, I wonder if they change it back? Back to point, it needs to be mainstream marketed to be a mainstream topic. It needs to be on TV and on the major Networks, advertised, promoted etc.

Little Jimmy watched his NFL, MLB, and NBA heros growing up on television, learned the rules of the game etc, as he got older may have played and or started buying tickets.

The fan base we have is hard core or people that took their kids to soccer practice and have tried to gain an interest. Still you look around High Schools and it's the big three dominating, scare tactics about football still hasn't created a huge impact, the soccer mom and dads are still trying to find a way to get their kids to play in high school.

Thats why talk radio isn't such a great interest still in my opinion. Besides if you are going to dream and live in the US you want to play Football, Baseball, and Basketball, paychecks are not even close. You don't focus on Soccer.

Obviously we are each just stating our opinions, but I played soccer for 13 years growing up ...played up to college level and I can't stand watching the sport. Playing it is fun, but watching is boring and I have a very good understanding of the game. I can't stand the flopping or the pace of it.....just too slow.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:00 pm
  • OMG 710 is by far the most boring channel on radio. Seriously I would rather listen to re-runs of All Things Considered on NPR than hear those guys. Brock, Danny, Salk, Wyman, Mike, whoever that guy with the Groz is, they literally all sound exactly the same. At least the shows on KJR all have their own unique style. Yeah Mitch is kind of a dick but at least he has a personality. And that ridiculous, fake high-pitched falsetto laugh that Brock has when he wants the listener to know that something REALLY funny just happened in the studio but he has to kind of laugh in a whisper so he doesn't interrupt anything. Good God I'm going to go take 710 off my presets until the regular season starts.
    SeahawksForever
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am
  • Can Danny please come back?

I know most people were glad about Danny leaving, but Salk is AWFUL. This week especially. I get that the Broncos, their fans and the Denver media made way too big a deal of their preseason win but my god, Salk beat it into the ground. Did he really need to keep playing the "Broncos Preseason Super Bowl Shuffle" and the Peyton Manning soundbite (the one where he talks about going to the silent count after the snap went over his head in the Super Bowl) over and over and over? He is so whiny, completely overreacts to anything he perceives as negative (Marshawn leaving the field early) and his sarcastic "attempts" at humor fall completely flat.

I know I could just not listen, but I like Brock for the most part and I want to listen to Hawks coverage.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:34 am
  • DYLcurry59 wrote:Can Danny please come back?

I know most people were glad about Danny leaving, but Salk is AWFUL. This week especially. I get that the Broncos, their fans and the Denver media made way too big a deal of their preseason win but my god, Salk beat it into the ground. Did he really need to keep playing the "Broncos Preseason Super Bowl Shuffle" and the Peyton Manning soundbite (the one where he talks about going to the silent count after the snap went over his head in the Super Bowl) over and over and over? He is so whiny, completely overreacts to anything he perceives as negative (Marshawn leaving the field early) and his sarcastic "attempts" at humor fall completely flat.

I know I could just not listen, but I like Brock for the most part and I want to listen to Hawks coverage.

LOL.

I'm the opposite. I love Salk's sardonic sense of humor and I find Brock vanilla and boring. In fact the only time Brock even shows a personality is when Salk goads it out of him.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:16 am
  • DYLcurry59 wrote:Can Danny please come back?

The last two weeks haven't been the best Mike Salk. Generally i enjoy him, but not his approach recently. He's trying too hard to be the over the top typical east coast sports guy (which he failed at in Boston last year) and why hes back in the first place. Hes much better when he's even keeled.

Now if someone could just get Brock to stop saying the word, "conversation" every five seconds. It's talk radio. We know you're having a conversation.

(Probably about as much chance as keeping John Clayton from saying "well let's put it this way... but also too" and stop letting Irish Menky call in).
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:36 pm
  • Salk has been annoying in his second stint, I would agree with that. He gets way too obsessed with stuff that just doesn't matter, for example Sherman not speaking to the press after the SD loss. Like Danny, he's a journalism major first, sports fan second, and that causes him to get perturbed over issues that the casual fanbase can't connect with.

He occasionally voices outright stupid opinions too, but that kind of comes with the territory in sports talk. One of the reasons I appreciate Brock is that he has a politician's sense for avoiding stupid statements. It would be nice if some of that rubbed off on Salk, but whatever.

Salk has a bad habit of shouting over Brock or callers, makes it tough to listen sometimes. He also hogs the mic, I would guess that at least 70% of the Brock and Salk show is Salk talking. But otherwise, I think he has a good dynamic with Brock. I do think the show would be a lot better if it was Brock talking more, but overall it's hard to complain too much.

They could do better than Salk, but it wouldn't be easy to find that guy who's an improvement over Salk while still having on air-talent and a big enough personality. Salk isn't perfect, but he's a huge upgrade over Danny, IMO.

I think Danny needs his own show. He's proven himself to be a good host, but he doesn't always play well with others. When he was hosting alone or had a temporary guest host he was much improved, something both the producers and callers noticed.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:46 pm
  • Salk has stunk this week. Almost like when Danny was at his worst. I have been off work and unfortunately listened.

He stinks this week, and actually, the show has stunk all week as well.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:48 am
  • Gotta agree with the "Salk hate" here. Its like he is trying to make some sort of point after being run out of his native Boston. He used to be better, less aggressive and less arrogant. Also it seems that he feels so bad after missing the Seahawks super bowl run in Seattle that he is trying to build a similar bandwagon around the Mariners, so this time he can be around when it happens... Which is fine but he is forcing it in an embarrassing manner.

I hate it when Salk makes statements like "talking o-line is not interesting radio, talking QBs is interesting". Well, anyone who follows even a little football has a somewhat educated opinion about starting QBs in the NFL. I, for one, really listen to these shows to gain understanding on the more in-depth stuff, like the different aspects of o-line play. And Brock along with many guests in the show could provide that.

Still, he is a good host. Used to be maybe even the best. Maybe in time he will find peace with his failure in Boston and come back to his old self, when he didn't need to have an edgy besserwisser opinion about every single thing and stick by it to the grave.

Meanwhile, Brock is better than ever. Great analysis, less bible reading group mentality.
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information