Former UW WR Kevin Smith signs with Seahawks

jake206

Reaction score
Signed today in place of DT Pulu, Seahawks roster is now at 90.

kearly

Reaction score
He has zero chance of anything more than a PS spot, but that said, yay.

Other than Stringfellow I thought he was UWs best WR last year.

Jville

Reaction score
suppaball":2exnnvj4 said:
Who, where's the stats guru to indulge us with this kid?

That would not be me. But you might find this link of interest >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/latest-news/2014/6/25/5842020/seahawks-kevin-smith-nfl-washington-huskies[/urltargetblank]
After the draft wrapped up, Smith said he got offers from five teams: the Seattle Seahawks, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and the Arizona Cardinals. He ultimately chose Arizona, despite the fact that his good friend Jermaine Kearse had set a pretty cool precedent in Seattle by working his way into the lineup as a UDFA out of Washington. Nonetheless, Kearse guided him through the process.

"Jermaine helped me a lot. A lot of people criticized him and his game when he went undrafted but his game showed. He could have been drafted and the same thing could be said for me. He's been like a big brother to me over the past few years and someone who's always been there for me and was a huge help going through the process."

The Seahawks agreed to a deal with receiver Kevin Smith on Wednesday, according to a league source. The deal is still pending (8:42am) a physical. Smith, who just finished his career at the University of Washington, originally signed with the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in May.
[urltargetblank]http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20140625/BLOG06/140629529/1004/Seahawks-to-sign-former-Husky-WR-Kevin-Smith[/urltargetblank]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He was already cut by Arizona and Jacksonville this off-season. Probably a longterm practice squad prospect at best right now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks have MORE than enough great Receivers to overfill the roster, so I see a pretty steep hill for this kid, so unless he completely blows the doors off the Coaching staff, he 'll have a hard time even cracking the PS.

HawkWow

Reaction score
For his size, Smith isn't exactly a burner, but his speed appears to be respectable on the field (in college). He made some heady plays and for the most part, was dependable for us. When Kasen got hurt, he helped pick up that slack and while not the blocker (or athlete) Williams is, he held his own just the same. I don't see him making the team, but I do wish him good fortune, none the less. Go Dawg.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Cool to see him do a few camp tours and collect a few duckets in the process. I'm sure he'll get some keep sakes for conversation and story telling.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
He's the one UW player I wanted the Hawks to sign, love it!

Tical21

Reaction score
Once upon a time, he was setup to be a pretty big-time player. Hasn't looked the same since the knee. I thought he improved a lot his senior season. I don't know that I would say he was better than Mickens, but he did make some really big catches. I'd rather see him in a different situation personally, he just won't get any looks here.

Uffda

Reaction score
HawkWow":g4afn2w9 said:
For his size, Smith isn't exactly a burner, but his speed appears to be respectable on the field (in college). He made some heady plays and for the most part, was dependable for us. When Kasen got hurt, he helped pick up that slack and while not the blocker (or athlete) Williams is, he held his own just the same. I don't see him making the team, but I do wish him good fortune, none the less. Go Dawg.

Yep, agree with you there...

z7561114Q,Kevin-Smith.jpg

j/k about that Kevin Smith.

Knew someone was going to make the reference , so I did.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2a97icjj said:
Not an NFL talent.

What does this even mean?

I guess Doug Baldwin didn't have NFL talent.

I guess Jermaine Kearse didn't have NFL talent.

What I do know is that the Seahawks have scouted him thoroughly enough and they were present when he put in quality work at his Pro Day. I've learned quickly to not simply dismiss a player and write him off but to see where his valu is. Seahawks are probably intrigued by his size 5'11, 208 pounds (played at 215 in college), decent splits 1.54/2.60/4.54, not a deep field threat.in the NFL but could be valuable in the short to immediate game, and has some great lower body strength popping off a 37 inch Vert and 10'06 Broad jumps.

He seems very Doug Baldwin-ish (athletically) if you can kind of project the 20 pound difference.

Baldwin (Smith)
Ht: 5'10 (5'11)
Wt: 189 (208)
Bench: 06 (10)
10yd: 1.54 (1.54)
20yd: 2.53 (2.60)
40yd: 4.48 (4.54)
Vert: 37in (37in)
Broad: 10'03 (10'06)
Shuttle: 4'26 (4'31)
3-Cone: 6.56 (6.96)

Smith likely has versatility to play multiple positions as well as experience in returning. Again value. Sure he's a long-shot but I've seen long-shots make the team. Smith also has Kearse to teach him the ropes and shorten the learning curve, not to mention Smith comes from a similar system to the one Carroll likes to run.

If Smith can come in, excel and compete and show he can play multiple WR positions as well as exceed on special teams the dude definitely has a great opportunity to make the practice squad as much as anybody.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Wanted to pass these along. For Oregon folks, this guy is a bit like Josh Huff. Same kind of WR/RB hybrid body style with the same 4.5 speed and good quickness/acceleration and RAC ability.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10028330

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9851097

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10028664

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9779843

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9982999

But yeah, practice squad candidate....and I say that in italics because I think it' s going to be tough to even make said practive squad as a WR this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And there are plenty of guys in the Hall of Fame who were NOT drafted. Guess they were considered "not NFL talent"
Plenty of guys in the league today who were not drafted, who are contributing.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Somewhat on topic, I'd draft Kasen Williams next year (3rd rd?) and let Kearse go..as much I love the guy. Money will be at a premium with..well, you know why money will be at a premium..

Williams is an exceptional athlete, capable of the Baldwin catches and loves to block. He would become Harvin's best (on field) friend and I believe he would ultimately be an upgrade to Kearse. A far cry cheaper, if Kearse will be asking ADB money. I am confident Norwood will pick up the Kearse slack and that will allow (a) Williams to get a year behind him. Please resist the "Norwood hasn't even made the team" speech (cuz I know you want to give it). Norwood is going to do much more than just make this team and I predict he will be one of the steals of this past draft.

FTR, I have zero desire to lose Jermaine Kearse, but with a nice balance of youth and contracted vets (ADB / Harvin ) at the position, I'd prefer we keep the D solid (after RW gets paid) because sacrifice will be compulsory. Just glad this current team got rings before the axe falls. Love 'em all.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
DavidSeven":o7n66ck2 said:
He was already cut by Arizona and Jacksonville this off-season. Probably a longterm practice squad prospect at best right now.

Sometimes, Pete just leaves us fans scratching our heads. If Kevin was unable to catch on at either of those inferior teams...why would Pete desire to bring him to the Hawks camp? Seemed to me that we have an abundance of WR's for TC. Is Pete feeling "bad vibes" regarding injuries prior to September? Puzzling! :stirthepot: