Why Marshawn Lynch Should Look for a New Contract

Jville

Reaction score
I realize that the definitive source has not stepped forward and spoken.

However, In the absence of that, anyone who does the homework to offer more than a headline seeking splash disservice ..... deserves some recognition for their background contribution.

An assessment on the Marshawn Lynch situation from Over The Cap >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/marshawn-lynch-look-new-contract/[/urltargetblank]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great story. Thanks for posting that link. As opposed to rumors threads, this has some great numbers, contract comparisons and information.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The problem as I see it comes in the form of the "next man up" philosophy. The Seahawks already have Lynch's replacement on the roster in Christine Michael. If Lynch holds out, Michael gets the reps with the first team and has an opportunity to compete for and potentially win the starting spot.

The more Lynch holds out, the better chance Michael has to take away his job.

This happened before with our corners. Thurmond was a starter until he got hurt and we all thought we were in trouble having some no-name 5th-round converted receiver take his place. We were just fine. So fine that we could replace Trufant. But again Thurmond got hurt, so on comes this guy from the CFL. Again we were fine. Then Browner got hurt and we have this sixth-rounder come in and take the position away from both Browner and Thurmond.

Not only can the next man step up, he can take away your job if you give him the chance.

As important as Lynch is to this team, holding out is a bad option for him. He needs to keep Michael in the backup role so that Michael doesn't have a chance to flash his talent.

Erebus

Reaction score
This article provides a good take on Lynch's point of view, particularly why he should do it now, if at all. However, the article doesn't address a couple key issues:

1. Why does Lynch deserve a new contract?

2. Why should the Seahawks reward him with a new contract?

Compared to other top running backs, he's not underpaid for his production, and he's not irreplaceable.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Erebus":oi30dgpa said:
This article provides a good take on Lynch's point of view, particularly why he should do it now, if at all. However, the article doesn't address a couple key issues:

1. Why does Lynch deserve a new contract?

2. Why should the Seahawks reward him with a new contract?

Compared to other top running backs, he's not underpaid for his production, and he's not irreplaceable.

good points but like I've been saying since yesterday-

Lynch's current contract basically amounts to what is a 1 year deal for 5M dollars, 500k in incentives, none of it gauranteed.

I realize he's got 2 years left but that final year won't be played out as it is in the contract now anyways. He's already earned his guaranteed money.

that's a fairly weak contract for one of if not the best back in the league the past 3 years.

Largent80

Reaction score
Personally, I am contract talked out. Just tired of hearing and reading about it. So, Ima stayin out of these threads after this post. BTW, I love Lynch and own his jersey, but honestly, five and a half million for what they do is a lotta cash.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Largent80":1eo6bs8t said:
Personally, I am contract talked out. Just tired of hearing and reading about it. So, Ima stayin out of these threads after this post. BTW, I love Lynch and own his jersey, but honestly, five and a half million for what they do is a lotta cash.

in lynch's situation though, it's not just a bout the cash. It's about job security and continuing to play. So it's not just a 'selfish just wants money' POV, the guy also wants to know he'll be playing football for years to come and you have to admire that aspect of it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":23tgsbrt said:
The problem as I see it comes in the form of the "next man up" philosophy. The Seahawks already have Lynch's replacement on the roster in Christine Michael. If Lynch holds out, Michael gets the reps with the first team and has an opportunity to compete for and potentially win the starting spot.

The more Lynch holds out, the better chance Michael has to take away his job.

This happened before with our corners. Thurmond was a starter until he got hurt and we all thought we were in trouble having some no-name 5th-round converted receiver take his place. We were just fine. So fine that we could replace Trufant. But again Thurmond got hurt, so on comes this guy from the CFL. Again we were fine. Then Browner got hurt and we have this sixth-rounder come in and take the position away from both Browner and Thurmond.

Not only can the next man step up, he can take away your job if you give him the chance.

As important as Lynch is to this team, holding out is a bad option for him. He needs to keep Michael in the backup role so that Michael doesn't have a chance to flash his talent.

Just for the record, Brandon Browner was already the starter at right CB.

Succession at LCB went Trufant / Thurmond / Sherman

Great point though Lynch hardly has leverage but Seahawks should think about boosting his pay in 2014 to negate his 2015 deap cap hit of cutting him. Michael is the future and he's super cheap right now. Not to mention we have Turbin under contract for 2 more years and Ware for 3 more years. If Coleman doesn't work out as a FB, his skillset would make him a great 3rd down back. Lot of options.

I love Lynch and appreciate everything he has done but its tread is wearing down and its about that time to move on.

Rainger

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1gzzj3w5 said:
Largent80":1gzzj3w5 said:

in lynch's situation though, it's not just a bout the cash. It's about job security and continuing to play. So it's not just a 'selfish just wants money' POV, the guy also wants to know he'll be playing football for years to come and you have to admire that aspect of it.
Sorry, I love Lynch but, this smacks of rewarding the past and Shaun Alexander. He has one year left on this team! That is the fact. The Hawks are always looking to the future. He makes 5.5. There is no extension. This team is not about job security unless you are under 25.

The only issue is, does he get his nose out of joint and not put his all in this next year. I think he is a pro and his friendship with he players says he will give his all but all this contract extension crap is just that. A bunch of hyperbole driven by the media and continued by the fans.

What he deserves and how "irreplaceable" he is all bull, if team and the future is what this team is all about. Seattle does not need a 29 plus RB in 2015 and further on. I appreciate everything that Lynch did for the team but this is a shitty business and the team must continually move on with cheaper younger alternatives.