Marshawn Lynch unhappy with his contract?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
That didn't read like a very definitive report. It looks to me to be a lot of speculation.

Giblien

Reaction score
Lynch, who skipped the team’s visit to the White House in May, and reportedly hasn’t appeared at any of the team’s voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) thus far, is thought to be unhappy with his contract, though it’s not clear if that is the only football-related reason the running back is considering skipping or reporting late to minicamp.

Translation = It's a slow news day, and some media guy thinks that Lynch not attending minicamp means that he is upset.

Conclusion: Nothing to read here...

Kaiser

Reaction score
Media hatchet job on marshawn to sow discord because they cant stop pissing their pants about his mic time.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Other than Peterson, who's making more as a RB than Marshawn ?

After the last year of FA, running backs have literally no leverage in contract negotiations. Lynch is at the top of the NFL in pay scale, and is in a run heavy team with a coach that understands him and gives him space.

He's seen what it's like in places like Buffalo. He also never makes the voluntary minicamps but works out like a demon instead. Whatever he's doing is right as he hasn't missed any games due to injury and didn't seem to wear down much at the end of the year, not to mention he leads the NFL in carries the last 3 years.

There's nothing to that article at all.

drdiags

Reaction score
This story is picking up steam. He is about to see the other side of the pillow from the Seahawks fans. Fans love you as long as you toe the line, If he is going to miss because he wants to re-negotiate, I think the Skittles showers will take on a new meaning for the Big Guy.

Maybe he just wants to retire like he had hinted to some of his teammates last year? Would hate to see him go early but they cannot really re-do his contract, can they? Those that were wanting Michael, and more of him may get their wish.

Personally, if it is me, I cannot give in to re-doing his deal. They have given him special treatment because he is a special player, but his deal he got a couple years ago was a pretty good one. We will see how this turns out.

Guess those laughing at Vernon Davis potentially staying out of camp may have to look in the mirror on this one.

Meeker

Reaction score
drdiags":1r1b8rx5 said:
This story is picking up steam. He is about to see the other side of the pillow from the Seahawks fans. Fans love you as long as you toe the line, If he is going to miss because he wants to re-negotiate, I think the Skittles showers will take on a new meaning for the Big Guy.

Maybe he just wants to retire like he had hinted to some of his teammates last year? Would hate to see him go early but they cannot really re-do his contract, can they? Those that were wanting Michael, and more of him may get their wish.

Personally, if it is me, I cannot give in to re-doing his deal. They have given him special treatment because he is a special player, but his deal he got a couple years ago was a pretty good one. We will see how this turns out.

Guess those laughing at Vernon Davis potentially staying out of camp may have to look in the mirror on this one.

I've only seen it reported on Yahoo, everywhere else I've seen it has quoted Yahoo.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Good lord. Show me a statement from Lynch or his group. When was the last time he went to otas? When did he not show up for anything mandatory? Non mandatory means Lynch does not go.
This guy is assuming Lynch is not there now for monetary reasons, and assuming he will not be there for mandatory camp because of monetary reasons. That's a lot of assuming.
How stupid.

chrispy

Reaction score
This seems like a best case scenario for the Hawks,.. or am I missing something?

Lynch has one year more on his contract and (last season) is putting up his best numbers and most physical performances. There are two good young backs in camp that have been performing reasonably well. It seems like time to test the trade waters for Lynch. If he wants to stay here, he'll show up and compete. If he wants to hold out, he might end up in TN or OAK or JAX... in exchange for a reasonable pick next year and some extra cap space for RW.

I love Lynch's running, but if he wants to make the decision to leave now as opposed to the team having to make it next off-season, he obviously has that option. He could be the best player on several other teams' offense. That could translate into a few more years under contract. I wouldn't hold a grudge if he decides to do that.

I think MRob's situation might have some to do with him being uncomfortable (if the story's true at all). Not only does he want to run behind MRob, he also doesn't want to "age-out" in a similar fashion.

If he can manipulate the situation into making a few more million for a few more years, and if he's happy doing that on a team that isn't really contending, we should all be thankful for what he brought while he was here. No hard feelings from me. If he decides to stay and make his 5 mil, I hope he plays the way he did last season and gets another big contract as a FA in '15. If he holds out, crawls back into camp late, plays like he's holding back, then he'll have to deal with that legacy. I wish him all the best and expect him to perform at a level where his earn another big contract. ... but of course, that's up to him.

drdiags

Reaction score
Meeker":275jmp8g said:
I've only seen it reported on Yahoo, everywhere else I've seen it has quoted Yahoo.

True, that is why I put a bunch of weasel-words in the post. I tend not to post a definitive statement about rumors, just doing a what-if in my head. I figured he was not showing the voluntary stuff due to it being voluntary and he being who he is. If, and it is a big IF, he doesn't show for mandatory training camp, folks will get to relive the DJack debates, which got heated.

It has been awhile since the threat of a hold-out has been around here. Last one was Clemons when his prior deal was on it's final season. Hearing the rumor that Lynch would want to re-do his deal with 2 yrs left makes for bad timing and if true would be something that I personally wouldn't do if it were in my hands.

Time will tell soon enough.

2_0_6

Reaction score
chrispy":3h6xmpqr said:
This seems like a best case scenario for the Hawks,.. or am I missing something?

Lynch has one year more on his contract and (last season) is putting up his best numbers and most physical performances. There are two good young backs in camp that have been performing reasonably well. It seems like time to test the trade waters for Lynch. If he wants to stay here, he'll show up and compete. If he wants to hold out, he might end up in TN or OAK or JAX... in exchange for a reasonable pick next year and some extra cap space for RW.

I love Lynch's running, but if he wants to make the decision to leave now as opposed to the team having to make it next off-season, he obviously has that option. He could be the best player on several other teams' offense. That could translate into a few more years under contract. I wouldn't hold a grudge if he decides to do that.

I think MRob's situation might have some to do with him being uncomfortable (if the story's true at all). Not only does he want to run behind MRob, he also doesn't want to "age-out" in a similar fashion.

If he can manipulate the situation into making a few more million for a few more years, and if he's happy doing that on a team that isn't really contending, we should all be thankful for what he brought while he was here. No hard feelings from me. If he decides to stay and make his 5 mil, I hope he plays the way he did last season and gets another big contract as a FA in '15. If he holds out, crawls back into camp late, plays like he's holding back, then he'll have to deal with that legacy. I wish him all the best and expect him to perform at a level where his earn another big contract. ... but of course, that's up to him.

Not a chance.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think the opposite would be much closer to reality. Marshawn has earned his lofty pay, but lots of miles on those tires and no certain way to gauge how much tread is left. IF there is any hope of ML returning next year, it's almost certain he would be asked to restructure...not the other way around. And if there is any truth to this at all, I have to assume it's Marshawn's way of retiring; " Give me 10 mil per or I'm gone". Win / win deal for Lynch.

I any event, top 5 all time Hawk for me. I am grateful for what he brought to this team and the title would have meant less to me had he not been part of it. Retire his number. Next man up.

Jville

Reaction score
Rand Getlin, the source, is described as yahoo legal analysts. Could be an exercise in stirring the pot. :stirthepot:

The timing is right and it surely is producing plenty of hits for the web sites involved.

dunceface

Reaction score
A lot of conjecture flying around so until I see something more concrete this is a non-issue.
As someone pointed out Pete understands that Marshawn is a different cat and knows how to work with him in an unorthodox manner. It reminds me of that Sound fx clip of Pete trying to give Lynch some advice midgame and Lynch just kept "Yeah, I'll just read it....Yeah, I'll just read it" and Pete just kinda gave up and laughed it off.
How many times has our unorthodox mode of operation been misunderstood and misconstrued by media types?
All.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It would be smart to re-do Lynch's contract right now but not an extension but a restructure that is if he plans to retire after this season.

He is scheduled to make $7m this year, and $9m in 2015, Seahawks can cut him but he'll cost $1.5m against the cap.

I say restructure him to include another $1.5 guaranteed moving that 1.5m cap hit into 2014 plus another $1.5 in incentives, for example, .75m each if he goes over 1500 yards or scores 15 TDs in exchange for dropping the 2015 year from his deal.

Seahawks can move on from Lynch without the "cutting him" stigma and Lynch can ride off in his career sunset but with all the incentives in making 2014 his best year yet with as much $10m on the table for him.

Win-win for both sides.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He's facing a possible suspension over his DUI, he has two years left on his deal, the market for running backs is weak, and he's 28 years old.

I wouldn't be against a restructure that would extend his deal past 2015, as long as we pay him less than the $7.5 million + $1.5 million in signing bonus cap hit that is owed to him next year. We will need that money for Wilson.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":o0y0qrlq said:
He is scheduled to make $7m this year, and $9m in 2015, Seahawks can cut him but he'll cost $1.5m against the cap.

If you cut him this year it's a 3M cap charge. next year the charge will be 1.5M.

hawknation2014":o0y0qrlq said:
, as long as we pay him less than the $7.5 million + $1.5 million in signing bonus cap hit that is owed to him next year.

Not sure you guys understand how the cap works.

Lynch will make 5.5M this year; 5M base salary and a 500K roster bonus.

In 2015 he will make 5.5M Base salary, and a 2M Per-game roster bonus that is only paid if he plays all 16 games. However he will probably never see this year anyways and he knows it.

So really Marshawn will make 5.5M from the Seahawks for this coming year and that's probably it. 5.5M for a RB that has been as productive as lynch is a pretty good deal for the team.

Hate to see his time in seattle come to an end but the writing is on the wall, unless he wants to do a team-friendly restructure in order to put some bonus money in his pocket.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3ml0fqw6 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3ml0fqw6 said:

If you cut him this year it's a 3M cap charge. next year the charge will be 1.5M.

hawknation2014":3ml0fqw6 said:
, as long as we pay him less than the $7.5 million + $1.5 million in signing bonus cap hit that is owed to him next year.

Not sure you guys understand how the cap works.

Lynch will make 5.5M this year; 5M base salary and a 500K roster bonus.

In 2015 he will make 5.5M Base salary, and a 2M Per-game roster bonus that is only paid if he plays all 16 games. However he will probably never see this year anyways and he knows it.

So really Marshawn will make 5.5M from the Seahawks for this coming year and that's probably it.

Hate to see his time in seattle come to an end but the writing is on the wall, unless he wants to do a team-friendly restructure in order to put some bonus money in his pocket.

If Lynch is still playing at a high level, there will be no reason to cut him after this year. If he wants a longer deal, he will have to agree to take less next season.