Predict Russell Wilson's Contract

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
So with Colin Kaepernick just signing a 6 year $126 million deal with $60 million guaranteed I think we can safely say that the market is set. Probably less than one year from now Russell Wilson will be signing his contract extension. What do you believe that contract will look like?

My prediction: 6 years, $108 million, $72 million guaranteed. Average salary of $18 million per year.

Reasoning: Wilson continues to say over and over that his goal is to be the best quarterback in NFL history. This is what drives him. He knows that in order to be in that conversation he's going to need multiple Super Bowl victories. You can't get that done without a solid team no matter how good a quarterback you are. I think he will take less overall money, and more guaranteed money to free up the Seahawks options and allow them to keep the core of this team together for the long term. The guaranteed money is the most important thing anyways, not the overall value of the deal.

What does the rest of .NET think?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He'll make more than Kaepernick, and we'll be fine. The F.O. will want to reward him. I've said in another thread today that this front office wants to pay its homegrown talent at market value. There's value in that.

We already have all our other key pieces locked up at this point, so what difference does it make if he get a big deal? We're obviously not losing Sherm, Earl or Kam anytime soon. Russell will break the bank, and it'll be well-deserved.

Basis4day

Reaction score
6 year extension (+1 year left on his contract). 135 million, 68 guaranteed.

Anthony!

Reaction score
DavidSeven":csqfvjle said:
He'll make more than Kaepernick, and we'll be fine. The F.O. will want to reward him. I've said in another thread today that this front office wants to pay its homegrown talent at market value. There's value in that.

We already have all our other key pieces locked up at this point, so what difference does it make if he get a big deal? We're obviously not losing Sherm, Earl or Kam anytime soon. Russell will break the bank, and it'll be well-deserved.

Agreed

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
With his "on field" income in addition to his "off field" income....Russ isn't going to have any issues attracting the ladies once his divorce is final. Money will be the least of his worries!

DJrmb

Reaction score
LOL

And for those that were thinking Russell Wilson was going to get around 12-16M... Go take a hike...

Even if RW will take less it's in Seattle's best interest to at least make the numbers look very similar, if not better than Tatts...

bandiger

Reaction score
Well he could be making Flacco like money, winning a SB and he's better than Flacco. IMHO. Newsome is not a bad GM, its what the market dictates with winning QBs.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It will be over $20 million a year but back loaded in case he's willing to restructure down the road to add more talent to win another Super Bowl. Wilson should get more guaranteed money than Kaepernick, maybe $65-70 million.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2014":ro2t8bxq said:
It will be over $20 million a year but back loaded in case he's willing to restructure down the road to add more talent to win another Super Bowl. Wilson should get more guaranteed money than Kaepernick, maybe $65-70 million.

This is about spot on.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
DJrmb":111agma8 said:
LOL

And for those that were thinking Russell Wilson was going to get around 12-16M... Go take a hike...

Even if RW will take less it's in Seattle's best interest to at least make the numbers look very similar, if not better than Tatts...

Sticking by my story

He's going to pull a Brady and take a team friendly deal. How many Superbowl has Brady been in? The answer is 5. How many conference championship game has he been in? 8. That is insane.

He wants to be the greatest of all time, and he knows he needs the tools around him. One of us will eat crow. I'm betting its not me and you all should hope its not me.

SF is making a huge mistake. This will hamper their team. Over paying by about 5 million IMO and that's the cost of another pro bowler on your team

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think his extension will be in the low twenties (very low twenties), but when you factor in the last year of his deal his overall contract will be less than $20 million per year, but he'll get more guaranteed money than Kaep....maybe in the $65-70 range

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":2a9af68q said:
DJrmb":2a9af68q said:
LOL

Sticking by my story

He's going to pull a Brady and take a team friendly deal. How many Superbowl has Brady been in? The answer is 5. How many conference championship game has he been in? 8. That is insane.

He wants to be the greatest of all time, and he knows he needs the tools around him. One of us will eat crow. I'm betting its not me and you all should hope its not me.

SF is making a huge mistake. This will hamper their team. Over paying by about 5 million IMO and that's the cost of another pro bowler on your team

You can't compare Wilson to Brady. First of all, Tom Brady had already made a ton of money before re-doing his deal. Secondly, he took a bit less in exchange for a fully guaranteed deal, which is a huge risk for New England considering Brady's age. Thirdly, his wife is worth even more money than he is. With combined net worth, he's already a billionaire.

I think you're living in a fantasy, bro. Shortchanging Wilson would also set terrible precedent for the team. We have the rest of the core locked up, and now we can afford to pay Wilson too.

SF isn't overpaying. They are paying what other QBs in his tier are making. If you think it's crazy that they'd pay him more money than Jay Cutler, then I don't know what to tell you.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1odpozps said:
My prediction: 6 years, $108 million, $72 million guaranteed. Average salary of $18 million per year.

....I think he will take less overall money, and more guaranteed money to free up the Seahawks options and allow them to keep the core of this team together for the long term. The guaranteed money is the most important thing anyways, not the overall value of the deal.

Hawknballs had some great posts for how guaranteed money works vs. salary, don't know how to link the thread but I'll try and figure it out for those who are interested. Good stuff ...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91598&p=1307249#p1307249

To the OP, I'd say 6 yrs, $105 million, 75 guaranteed

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
DavidSeven":11x9wmpl said:
kthebestwayw":11x9wmpl said:
DJrmb":11x9wmpl said:
LOL

Sticking by my story

You can't compare Wilson to Brady. First of all, Tom Brady had already made a ton of money before re-doing his deal. Secondly, he took a bit less in exchange for a fully guaranteed deal, which is a huge risk for New England considering Brady's age. Thirdly, his wife is worth even more money than he is. With combined net worth, he's already a billionaire.

I think you're living in a fantasy, bro. Shortchanging Wilson would also set terrible precedent for the team. We have the rest of the core locked up, and now we can afford to pay Wilson too.

SF isn't overpaying. They are paying what other QBs in his tier are making. If you think it's crazy that they'd pay him more money than Jay Cutler, then I don't know what to tell you.

You never know, you never know what Wilson might want. Maybe he doesn't care about his monetary status around the league, maybe does care more about his football goals and about being the greatest there ever was.

The fun part is at least we can have this argument about Russell Wilson, would he or wouldn't he, because he seems like the genuwine article and this team is in a great place right now. So it could be that he signs a big deal like Kaeps but the first few years of his contract will be team friendly.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":fi707593 said:

Brady contracts are never a good measuring stick because of Giselle.

The team will pay Wilson what is fair. In that, I'm confident.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":39yr3p8o said:
Sticking by my story

This is wrong at such an incredible rate that it's hard to know where to begin.

1. In no way is this a significant overpayment by the 49ers; certainly not by $5 mil/year. The market is what it is, and if you think that the 49ers were the only NFL team who would have been willing to give Kaep this contract, I think it's pretty obvious that you're wrong. There are a ton of teams hungry for a QB who would have given him at least this much, possibly more, in order to poach him away. I thought the Niners might get away slightly cheaper than this, as in closer to $20m/year, but that's such a small difference that it's whatever.

The alternative is to let him walk. You need a franchise QB to sustain long-term success and be a perennial power in this league. Kaep has shown enough to be considered a franchise QB. What the Niners did here was fine, and not anywhere close to a "huge mistake."

2. The cap is expanding in a hurry, allowing for deals like this to fit into a team's overall salary structure without crippling them. This deal will not cripple the 49ers. The deal the Seahawks give Russell next year will not cripple them either.

3. Russell Wilson has already been playing on a WAY, WAY, WAY below market contract, as enforced by the CBA. He should absolutely cash in on his opportunity to get a big contract. Brady took a team-friendly deal after he had already played out a massive contract and made tens of millions. Russell, even when accounting for things like endorsements, could only have amassed so much so far. Football is a dangerous game; a player needs to cash in when he can. Russell should, and he will.

4. None of us should hope that the Seahawks ever so much as attempt to lowball Wilson. Seattle has become a destination location because it is doing everything the right way: rewarding the players who have earned it. I'm happy that they've done that so far, and I sure as hell wouldn't want them to stop at Wilson. Again, with the expanding cap, they'll be able to absorb the hit of the huge contract and still field a very nice supporting cast. Of course, they have to continue to draft well, but that statement applies to everyone.

I am confident that Seattle will pay Wilson what he's worth, and when they do, I think that it's cause for celebration, not consternation. The reaction shouldn't be, "Oh, that's going to cause salary cap problems." It should be, "Thank God, we finally have someone worthy of signing to an elite QB contract." I look forward to the day that he re-signs.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":oy9hh81r said:
kthebestwayw":oy9hh81r said:
Sticking by my story

This is wrong at such an incredible rate that it's hard to know where to begin.

1. In no way is this a significant overpayment by the 49ers; certainly not by $5 mil/year. The market is what it is, and if you think that the 49ers were the only NFL team who would have been willing to give Kaep this contract, I think it's pretty obvious that you're wrong. There are a ton of teams hungry for a QB who would have given him at least this much, possibly more, in order to poach him away. I thought the Niners might get away slightly cheaper than this, as in closer to $20m/year, but that's such a small difference that it's whatever.

The alternative is to let him walk. You need a franchise QB to sustain long-term success and be a perennial power in this league. Kaep has shown enough to be considered a franchise QB. What the Niners did here was fine, and not anywhere close to a "huge mistake."

2. The cap is expanding in a hurry, allowing for deals like this to fit into a team's overall salary structure without crippling them. This deal will not cripple the 49ers. The deal the Seahawks give Russell next year will not cripple them either.

3. Russell Wilson has already been playing on a WAY, WAY, WAY below market contract, as enforced by the CBA. He should absolutely cash in on his opportunity to get a big contract. Brady took a team-friendly deal after he had already played out a massive contract and made tens of millions. Russell, even when accounting for things like endorsements, could only have amassed so much so far. Football is a dangerous game; a player needs to cash in when he can. Russell should, and he will.

4. None of us should hope that the Seahawks ever so much as attempt to lowball Wilson. Seattle has become a destination location because it is doing everything the right way: rewarding the players who have earned it. I'm happy that they've done that so far, and I sure as hell wouldn't want them to stop at Wilson. Again, with the expanding cap, they'll be able to absorb the hit of the huge contract and still field a very nice supporting cast. Of course, they have to continue to draft well, but that statement applies to everyone.

I am confident that Seattle will pay Wilson what he's worth, and when they do, I think that it's cause for celebration, not consternation. The reaction shouldn't be, "Oh, that's going to cause salary cap problems." It should be, "Thank God, we finally have someone worthy of signing to an elite QB contract." I look forward to the day that he re-signs.

Great post, best of the thread spot on, 2 thumb sup!!!