SNUBBED by Baldwin!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
So, I was on the way to the Mariners game last Saturday afternoon. I was sitting in the usual waterfront traffic heading south, where the ferry line branches off. The light turned red just as I get to the front of line, of course. Anyway, I look to my left at the crosswalk, and there stands ANGRY Doug with his beautiful girlfriend. I look over at him and recognize him immediately. I rolled down the window, and said "what's going on Doug?! Congrats on a great season! Go 'hawks!!" Keep in mind , he is standing about 8-9 feet away, and he definitely heard me... He looks at me, shakes his head, and looks straight forward... I sat at the light for a VERY awkward 5 minutes... I thought it was kind of rude... Only expected a wave or something of that nature.. I definitely understand the attention these high profile athletes get... But Baldwin was undrafted... Just thought maybe he'd have a little more respect for respectful and appreciative fans.. Anyone else had any encounters with Mr. Baldwin? He seemed like a jerk to be honest... OH WELL. GO 'HAWKS!

hawknation2014

Reaction score
No offense, but I think it's kind of rude to bother someone when they're trying to spend time with their girlfriend. It was innocent enough. Just saying, it could get annoying having strangers yelling things at him through their car windows all day long like they know him on a personal level.

What did you want him to say in return to the stranger yelling through his car window? Granted, I know other players might have reacted differently. Russell Wilson would have probably said "Go Hawks!" Still, you can't presume every player will react so graciously to the sudden intrusion by the loud stranger.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Should have only said "go Hawks! " you probably would have gotten a better response. I imagine it being very awkward having complete strangers say your name or hi to you like they know you.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm SURE that down town on a weekend around baseball game time he wasn't the only person standing at the crosswalk, I'd be annoyed if i was a local star just trying to spend time with my GF and doing my best to not have to interact with everyone around me and someone's yelling out a car window to let everyone know. Not sure what his draft status has to do with anything but I'm not going to blame a guy for not feeling the need to interface with every fan out there.

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons for this that have nothing to do with 'Doug is just a jerk'.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Maybe hes just the kind of guy who doesn't like strangers yelling at him from cars only to go on the internet and complain about him? :sarcasm_off:

He helped deliver a Super Bowl to the city of Seattle. That's enough.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1tt4fl1t said:
No offense, but I think it's kind of rude to bother someone when they're trying to spend time with their girlfriend. It was innocent enough. Just saying, it could get annoying having strangers yelling things at him through their car windows all day long like they know him on a personal level.

What did you want him to say in return to the stranger yelling through his car window? Granted, I know other players might have reacted differently. Russell Wilson would have probably said "Go Hawks!" Still, you can't presume every player will react so graciously to the sudden intrusion by the loud stranger.

I always thought about what I'd do if i saw one of these guys out on the street and to be honest, the conclusion I usually come to is that unless they look like they are inviting conversation, i would probably say nothing, maybe give them a head nod.

dudes standing on the street corner or whatever in front of a line of cars like some kinda zoo animal, doesn't wanna open himself up to a feeding frenzy of baseball fans. I'm sure being a Seahawk down in that area while the baseball crowd who for the most part also follow the hawks is like a feeding frenzy.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2e5e6z6f said:
I always thought about what I'd do if i saw one of these guys out on the street and to be honest, the conclusion I usually come to is that unless they look like they are inviting conversation, i would probably say nothing, maybe give them a head nod.

dudes standing on the street corner or whatever in front of a line of cars like some kinda zoo animal, doesn't wanna open himself up to a feeding frenzy of baseball fans. I'm sure being a Seahawk down in that area while the baseball crowd who for the most part also follow the hawks is like a feeding frenzy.

If they're by themselves walking around i think it's fair game to ask for a photo or an autograph if you don't make a big deal out of it and cause a bunch of other people to notice.

I've always heard that if the player is clearly out with their family that it's best to leave them be. Especially if they're with their kids. Seems to be a consistent response when a current or former player is asked about that in an interview.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I don't know.... it's part of the gig though when you're a famous celebrity/athlete. (The attention I mean)

All ADB had to do was smile and nod, give a thumb's up, something, takes 2 seconds. Not a big deal.

You're not an anonymous rookie free agent anymore ADB, you're big time now. :Dunno:

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think the only one i couldnt resist is Lynch.

I don't think i could stop myself from getting out my phone camera and enacting my own version of "messin with marshawn".

I'd probably get punched.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Did you think the "angry" part of Angry Doug Baldwin was an act?

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
You should have laughed super hard and called him a pedestrian. Really missed your chance there homey.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I met Doug at a bar last summer. He was sitting by himself near me and I was like "Doug, is that you?" He said yea, and he was friendly. I just briefly told him I was a big fan and a season ticket holder and that I enjoyed the Fresh Files. He said thanks and we shook hands. It was cool.

Sorry your experience was not so good. Maybe he just didn't want a big crowd of people to know who he was or something.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":lk59jpdc said:
I met Doug at a bar last summer. He was sitting by himself near me and I was like "Doug, is that you?" He said yea, and he was friendly. I just briefly told him I was a big fan and a season ticket holder and that I enjoyed the Fresh Files. He said thanks and we shook hands. It was cool.

Sorry your experience was not so good. Maybe he just didn't want a big crowd of people to know who he was or something.

And therein lies the difference between politely approaching someone at a bar, which is a normal social situation, VS. yelling "What's going on?" through your car window while he's standing on a street corner with his girlfriend.

As fans, we have got to have better manners than that.

OP
OP
R

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
volsunghawk":n0tras7v said:
Get over it. He doesn't owe you anything.

Yaaaa... Ok since I clearly stated he owes me something . . Take it down a notch, Doug.

OP
OP
R

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":67ospmbt said:
You should have laughed super hard and called him a pedestrian. Really missed your chance there homey.
Lol I thought about it...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RussWILSON3":2lqdbwfr said:
volsunghawk":2lqdbwfr said:
Get over it. He doesn't owe you anything.

Yaaaa... Ok since I clearly stated he owes me something . . Take it down a notch, Doug.

Based on your post, it sounds like that's what you think. Because he didn't respond in the way you expected, he's not "respectful" and is a bit of a "jerk."

For the record, my post was on the lowest notch.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawknation2014":212bbe1x said:

They are entertainers....its part of the job. Pay me what ADB makes and I'll waive to anyone yelling my name.

That being said, the head nod would have satisfied me.

Status
Not open for further replies.