Report from today's OTA's

RussJames

Reaction score
Russell Wilson quote on Chris Matthews ballin out....

"Chris Matthews, especially friday, was turning it out. He was making unbelievable catches, going over top guys. And that's what we need. We need a big target guy. He's probably about 6'4" and has great hands."

"I think the receivers position has been one of our best position groups so far."

I really hope that fella makes the 53 man roster, or at least the practice squad. Aside from Sidney Rice, no other receiver on our squad has the length that guy has. The only concern is that he probably doesn't play on special teams, and for a guy that's likely to be your 5th or 6th wide receiver, you'd like him to be able to do a little ST work, especially when he's competing with guys like Lockette and Kearse who have proven they can ball out on STs.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
RussJames":2ikfad30 said:

"Chris Matthews, especially friday, was turning it out. He was making unbelievable catches, going over top guys. And that's what we need. We need a big target guy. He's probably about 6'4" and has great hands."

"I think the receivers position has been one of our best position groups so far."

I really hope that fella makes the 53 man roster, or at least the practice squad. Aside from Sidney Rice, no other receiver on our squad has the length that guy has. The only concern is that he probably doesn't play on special teams, and for a guy that's likely to be your 5th or 6th wide receiver, you'd like him to be able to do a little ST work, especially when he's competing with guys like Lockette and Kearse who have proven they can ball out on STs.

What makes you say that he probably doesn't play ST? That would definitely hurt his team-making equity significantly if he doesn't.

jake206

Reaction score
A looong 50 yd. touchdown from P. Rich. aka "Blazer". Me likey. :th2thumbs:

RussJames

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":17xyo4q2 said:
What makes you say that he probably doesn't play ST? That would definitely hurt his team-making equity significantly if he doesn't.

Oh no I'm just assuming based on him being really tall and not exceptionally fast (also an offensive player). I guess I actually have no idea, maybe he can play some special teams, I just don't know where he'd line up. He's not fast enough to be a gunner and not elusive enough to be a returner. The only spot I could see him possibly playing is as a blocker against gunners and I highly doubt that will happen. I'd put my money on him not being a special teamer, and as result he'll be a long shot to make the roster. But who knows, maybe he'll blow some socks off this preseason and go on to become a 9x pro bowl, 3x super bowl winning hall of fame wide receiver.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I mean Bannister was 6'5" and most definitely excelled at ST. Matthews is 11 lbs. heavier so perhaps you're right that he isn't the same kind of athlete, but I don't think the height is a negative.

chris98251

Reaction score
Special teams is about desire, those that are willing and desire to make the team will not limit themselves,he hs don'e nothing here and a I won't do special teams is a trip to the unemployment line. When you have starters line up to do Punt Returns you need to check yourself.

The Outfield

Reaction score
KJ Wright doing work too! :th2thumbs:

The defensive play of the day, too, involved Wilson, as K.J. Wright intercepted him on a pass across the middle after a scramble.

RussJames

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":15p6hx2b said:
I mean Bannister was 6'5" and most definitely excelled at ST. Matthews is 11 lbs. heavier so perhaps you're right that he isn't the same kind of athlete, but I don't think the height is a negative.

It's not necessarily a negative, it's just that players who are 6'5"+ typically don't have athletic attributes necessary to play in the gunner, jammer, or returner positions (Bannister being a rare exception), which are the three positions on special teams that WRs usually play.

I'd love for Matthews to prove me wrong and show that he excels at ST play. It would almost certainly lock him into that 5th or 6th receiver spot given his unique size and, apparently, good hands.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Outfield":3gjs09gg said:

The defensive play of the day, too, involved Wilson, as K.J. Wright intercepted him on a pass across the middle after a scramble.
Riddle me this.... how's it even possible Wilson won't be elite by any measure when you have to practice against a secondary who's 2nd CB Is possibly top 6-8 in the entire league and your safeties are the best at their respective positions and with LB's that are just physical freaks with desire and intelligence for the game daily?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2zr3xa6g said:
The Outfield":2zr3xa6g said:

[/qu ote]
Riddle me this.... how it even possible Wilson won't be elite by any measure when you have to practice against a secondary who's 2nd CB Is possibly top 6-8 in the entire league and your safeties are the best at their repetitive positions and the LB's are just physical freaks with desire and intelligence for the game?

He's too short.

nwgamer

Reaction score
RussJames":9bmwdhj9 said:
MidwestHawker":9bmwdhj9 said:

It's not necessarily a negative, it's just that players who are 6'5"+ typically don't have athletic attributes necessary to play in the gunner, jammer, or returner positions (Bannister being a rare exception), which are the three positions on special teams that WRs usually play.

I'd love for Matthews to prove me wrong and show that he excels at ST play. It would almost certainly lock him into that 5th or 6th receiver spot given his unique size and, apparently, good hands.

Hell, its possible he could outwork Sydney....

HawkWow

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2esoqzn6 said:
The Outfield":2esoqzn6 said:

Riddle me this.... how's it even possible Wilson won't be elite by any measure when you have to practice against a secondary who's 2nd CB Is possibly top 6-8 in the entire league and your safeties are the best at their respective positions and with LB's that are just physical freaks with desire and intelligence for the game daily?

Ditto.

And why I am real high on Norwood. He's about as pro ready as they come out of college. Put him up against the LOB and if it doesn't kill him...well, you know. Norwood, Richardson and Matthews (in particular) should be paying the Hawks for this opportunity instead of the other way around. VERY fortunate young men cuz if they don't make it here, they will be taking some stuff with them that they didn't have when they got here.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
RussJames":3h1r45ik said:

also from the Sherm report linked below in the thread:

Case o’ the Drops

Wilson and the rest of the Seahawks quarterbacks weren’t particularly sharp on Monday, but their receivers did them few favors. Robert Turbin, Anthony McCoy and Kiero Small — none of whom are wideouts — each had balls go off of their hands, while Matthews — who according to Wilson had a great session Friday — dropped two, including one that would have been a 50-yard touchdown.

Still, when asked about his receivers, Wilson was unequivocal in his praise, calling them “as fast as it gets” and the “best looking position so far.”

I think Russ knows he needs Mathews size out there and is attempting to push him some? Also Smalls better keep his eye on the ball. I know he won't get to show his blocking until they put on the pads but he is already undersized and slow so it would probably be too deep a whole to climb out of if he were to add " can't catch" to his list.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Any time Robert Turbin drops a ball it really irritates me, because I still can't help but to have flashbacks to that really costly drop on TNF in SF in 2012.

Latest posts