I kinda miss the SOS

ak3000

Reaction score
:les:

I spent last week in Seattle with my wife. It was amazing to see so many people walking around malls, streets, stores ect in Seahawk gear, constantly without fail. I realize the seahawks have become the local fad and the bandwagon is at maximum capacity... I remember few and far between seeing a Seahawk shirt/hat worn anywhere in the season let alone the middle of the off season. Remember half empty games I went to in the Kingdome of the 90s. I miss my lovable losers. Seeing all these "fans" I feel like the secret society of Seahawk fans has been compromised by their recent success. While it was fun to see them win the big one I feel cheated by not being able to share the victory with "true" long time fans.

People who don't know who Bob Spitulski and Orlando Watters are need not apply. Hell, I'll even take a Boone Stutz or Alex Bannister reference at this point.

Someone either shake some reason into me or feel my pain

/endwhine

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
If you passionately love this team then thats all you need. Enjoy everything going on right now. This offseason has been incredible. No time to whine about bandwagon fans.

This is such a beautiful time to be a Hawk fan. Embrace it.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I don't know what you're talking about. Seattle has always been primarily a football town, and the 12th Man has been strong since the 1970's. Yeah there are some new fans now, but I don't ever remember half empty games in the Kingdome.

TXHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1hlp3r0y said:
BlueTalon":1hlp3r0y said:
HansGruber":1hlp3r0y said:
but I don't ever remember half empty games in the Kingdome.
The Behring years.
I don't remember half empty games then either.

I know that the Seahawks had over 100 consecutive sellouts in the Kingdome at one point. I believe that streak ended during the Behring era but I don't remember any half empty games either.

I've been a Seahawks, Mariners, and Cougars fan most of my life so I've had more than my fill of "loveable losers." I like the fact that the Seahawks are becoming a team that is hated and envied around the country. Let the bandwagon roll.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sorry, OP, I don't get it. I miss it when we were losers because only loyal fans represented fells kind of snobby.

I can't speak for Seattle, but where I am,it isn't just the SB win drawing fans. It is the style Seattle plays with. Brash, loud, hard hitting is popular.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3k0yhu34 said:
Sorry, OP, I don't get it. I miss it when we were losers because only loyal fans represented fells kind of snobby.

I can't speak for Seattle, but where I am,it isn't just the SB win drawing fans. It is the style Seattle plays with. Brash, loud, hard hitting is popular.

I agree with this. Although, I do see a lot more love for the Hawks this past 2 seasons, I embrace it. New fans gotta come from somewhere.

Even though there is a lot of fans that say "I've been here since the beginning" we all know damn well most of us for one reason or another decided in life "This is MY team" regardless of whether its Hawks, Cowboys, GB, SF, etc. etc. Right now is that time for a lot of young ones and somewhat new fans. It's is our time for people to say, "Damn, those Seahawks were so bad ass. They are my favorite team!"

...and there is nothing wrong with that.

I get tired of these that talk about this bandwagon crap, or try to compare levels of fandom. It's stupid. Just enjoy that we finally have a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. With hopefully more to come.

:th2thumbs: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :p :0190l: :0190l: :thirishdrinkers: :179422:

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
OH, and there is no way in hell I miss having a losing franchise. It straight sucked defendinig my team when, although they had "a chance to win", most times, they really didn't.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ak3000":1vxsup1x said:
:les:

I spent last week in Seattle with my wife. It was amazing to see so many people walking around malls, streets, stores ect in Seahawk gear, constantly without fail. I realize the seahawks have become the local fad and the bandwagon is at maximum capacity... I remember few and far between seeing a Seahawk shirt/hat worn anywhere in the season let alone the middle of the off season. Remember half empty games I went to in the Kingdome of the 90s. I miss my lovable losers. Seeing all these "fans" I feel like the secret society of Seahawk fans has been compromised by their recent success. While it was fun to see them win the big one I feel cheated by not being able to share the victory with "true" long time fans.

People who don't know who Bob Spitulski and Orlando Watters are need not apply. Hell, I'll even take a Boone Stutz or Alex Bannister reference at this point.

Someone either shake some reason into me or feel my pain

/endwhine
I don't, I like my team being the dominating champions! If bandwagon fans are the side effect , then so be it. Hopefully those fans will evolve into lifers.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":wpugms7g said:

BINGO! Seattle in the past has always been considered a soft team, that was until PC and JS showed up. Now they are the team that punches every other team in the mouth and doesn't apologize for doing so. I love it! I think that Kurt Russell's intro with the Metallica playing in the background summed up this team perfectly.

TXHawk

Reaction score
How large were the fanbases of the 49ers prior to the Walsh/Montana era, or the Patriots before Belichick/Brady, or the Saints prior to Peyton/Brees? They were all franchises with mediocre histories and small, regional fanbases prior to their first run of real success. Now you find 49ers, Patriots, and Saints fans all over the country. I wouldn't mind seeing that for the Seahawks in a few years after pounding out a few more Super Bowl titles with Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson. If I wanted to become a member of a secret society I'd join the Stonecutters.

Imagejpg1

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seriously? Maybe you should become a Browns fan. Or is the attention they're getting because of Manziel too much for you?

The Radish

Reaction score
Alex Bannister,,,, best special teams player to ever wear a Seahawks jersey.

Made the pro bowl as a special teamer as I recall. Then got hurt, did his time and rehab and as I recall got hurt again on his first trip downfield.

Thanks Bannister for your efforts.

:th2thumbs:

Steve2222

Reaction score
So in other words you want the Seahawks to remain a 6-10 and 7-9 team? No matter who it is, a championship team will inherently catch a ton of bandwagoners. I live in the southeast now and I see kids rocking Seahawks hats and stores are carrying Seahawks merchandise. I'm all for it.

And the only player I know that you named was Bannister. I'm also only 27 and didn't start getting into the Seahawks until I was eight years old. Am I a true fan if I know who Eugene Robinson, Chris Warren, Charlie Rodgers, Isiah Kacevenski, Pete Kendall, Shawn Dawkins, Bobby Blades, John Friez, Itula Mili, Christain Fuaria, Anthony Simmons, and Michael Sinclair?

tdigitee

Reaction score
Finally reaching the top can do funny things I guess. It’s been a loooong time coming, but now that the Seahawks have won a Super Bowl I have this immense sense of relaxation. Am I excited for this coming season? Most definitely! Will I get grey hairs from close games? Sure, though I don’t think that I’ll stress out too bad about how the season goes. But do I miss the SOS? The days of watching Marcus Allen and Napoleon Kaufman run all over the Hawks, or getting curbstomped by Elway? The days of Rick Mirer and Kelly Stouffer, or watching guys like Ricky Watters and Chad Brown miss the playoffs? No, no, and hale-no. (BTW I loved Orlando Watters – nice pull)

It’s like when the cool band you watch at your local club every week gets discovered, or when your “thing” which only you and a few people do suddenly becomes popular (like stand up paddleboarding or slacklining). People have a tendency to feel cheated when this happens, like “hey I was here first and now it’s not just my cool thing anymore!” I sometimes feel that way too, but then I think we all too often seek ways to be different from other people when we should be embracing and enjoying each other.

Maybe it’s partially due to my being an East Coast Seahawks fan since I was pretty young. Like a number of others on this site, I’ve been wearing the gear and flying the flag in my remote outpost of the 12 empire, enduring countless questions and sometimes derision over the years. But then, when I came to Seattle for the Saints playoff game and saw the whole city decked out in signs, cashiers and EVERYONE wearing Seahawks clothes, I was overwhelmed and felt “wow, these are my people!” The way I look at it, it is waywayway less fun to suffer among a small number of fellow fans than it is to party it up with a ton of people who love the team, whether their history of fandom is long or short. I do not begrudge anyone on being a newly minted fan – for most people it just sort of happens, wherever your age lines up with the team’s winning trajectory - and I am glad every time I see someone riding that bus with me.

If it helps, you can think of it this way: all those years of the SOS, all that pain, just make it that much sweeter that Seattle is now the champ, and not in a “we got hot at the right time” kind of way, but in a dominating, battering fashion. The whole city and 12s all over the country and world are still riding high with you. There will be down years to come, for sure, and you can again taste what that feels like (a fall which will probably be harder on the new fans who have seen mostly success). But I hope you will enjoy this ride as long as it lasts, and the fact that you endured many years but got to feel that incredible feeling of winning it all.

Brahn

Reaction score
We have more fans then before? Crap, well there goes the atmosphere!

grizbob

Reaction score
If being able to remember obscure Hawk names makes you a better fan, then getting old and senile has made me the worst fan :? :les:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Dont let bandwaggon fans bother you. Sure, it may seem like theyre stealing the spotlight, but so what.

The team you and all of us have been rooting for won the superbowl. Thats all that matters