Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Lynch vs Clayton

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Lynch vs Clayton
Sat May 31, 2014 11:05 am
  • Ever since the Super Bowl Clayton has been floating this idea that ML can't be trusted to be there on Sundays , He's said on more than one occasion that he could decide to just quit playing for no reason and leave the Hawks hanging.
    I've never heard of an instance in his pro career where this happened. I know that during the run up to the big game Clayton was one of those that believed ML had to talk to the media and I've heard it was him who whined about it to the league office. I have never held JC in that high a regard particularly on the draft he has no clue imo, but this latest BS from him in about Lynch has reduced my regard for Clayton to a new low.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Re: Lynch vs Clayton
Sat May 31, 2014 11:18 am
  • Clayton is looking for drama
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 11:21 am
  • I hope Clayton rots in Hell and dies of gonorrhea.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat May 31, 2014 11:29 am
  • Used to be a Clayton fan, now he just sounds like a pompous whiney bish when he talks about Lynch.
    He's still butt hurt because Lynch didn't talk to the precious media on a few occasions. He doesn't owe you anything Frodo.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 11:29 am
  • Well this certainly reads like an ugly mud slinging thread.

It should be titled as such.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat May 31, 2014 12:17 pm
  • When Lynch retires he should grant Clayton to do his last interview, LIVE and Lynch should do his best to do a great interview while keeping it PG-13 but at the end when Clayton is thanking Lynch and goes to shake his hand...

Lynch will refuse and then tell John Clayton "To Go Screw Yourself, Beast-Mode out!!!" and then ride off into the sunset, like a boss.

Edited by Throwdown
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 12:33 pm
  • Clayton is a decent reporter, but his analysis sucks, mainly because he's not that bright. He should stick to breaking NFL news and keep his moronic excuses for analysis bouncing around inside his tiny little cranium.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sat May 31, 2014 1:38 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:I hope Clayton rots in Hell and dies of gonorrhea.

Shouldn't that be "dies of gonorrhea, then rots in hell?" Just sayin'
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 1:52 pm
  • These media people don't get Marshawn so badly it's almost comedic. He doesn't like to talk to the media. He doesn't like to be the focus of people's attention. He loves playing football. I don't think anybody had more fun celebrating with his teammates and 12's than Marshawn did. He had the time of his life.

Anybody who thinks Marshawn would quit on his teammates is a complete fool. Do they think he's lying when he talks passionately about how important loyalty is to him? But at the same time when he decides he's done he'll be done, that I'm pretty sure of. And he'll have the support of his teammates and the people who know him when he makes that decision.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat May 31, 2014 2:03 pm
  • Ever since he was exiled from Keeblerville, John has never been the same. When you lose your cookies, it's over man.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 2:04 pm
  • Bravo Zebbie... Bravo.
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

Sat May 31, 2014 2:07 pm
  • I mean, who plays harder than Marshawn Lynch? Very few. What else matters? Dude brings it EVERY time he is on the field.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 2:33 pm
  • Is there a link? I want to hear him say it and hear his justifications. When has BeastMode ever quit on his team? I would like him to cite even a single occurrence. What exactly is making him think this? BeastMode got his payday awhile ago, and not once have I seen any signs of him slacking.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 2:51 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Clayton is a decent reporter, but his analysis sucks, mainly because he's not that bright. He should stick to breaking NFL news and keep his moronic excuses for analysis bouncing around inside his tiny little cranium.

Nailed it. He works hard to gather facts, and gathers them well, and should stick to reporting.

The instant he attempts to synthesize those facts using his tiny CPU he sounds idiotic.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 3:38 pm
  • And the media wonders why Lynch would rather have a hot poker enima then speak with them.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat May 31, 2014 3:40 pm
  • You knew when Clayton turned to Metal, dementia was certain.

Moms and Dads...just say NO to Metal.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 3:46 pm
  • I in no way think Marshawn will quit on his teammates. But he did indeed say he was going to retire if they won the Superbowl. Most were completely unsure if he meant it or not, and he declined to elaborate.

Lynch is still stiff and cool, still wrapped in the same face-warmer, hoodie up. Lynch has been telling teammates all season he’ll retire if they win the Super Bowl. Sherman doesn’t believe him.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/02/marshawn-lynch-told-teammates-he-would-retire-if-they-won-super-bowl
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat May 31, 2014 3:59 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:I in no way think Marshawn will quit on his teammates. But he did indeed say he was going to retire if they won the Superbowl. Most were completely unsure if he meant it or not, and he declined to elaborate.

Lynch is still stiff and cool, still wrapped in the same face-warmer, hoodie up. Lynch has been telling teammates all season he’ll retire if they win the Super Bowl. Sherman doesn’t believe him.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/02/marshawn-lynch-told-teammates-he-would-retire-if-they-won-super-bowl

Retiring is one thing..."leaving the Hawks hanging" is another. If and when he chooses to hang up them cleats, the team will know, his teammates will know, and we will know.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 5:00 pm
  • Clayton made a big deal about ML's reluctance to cooperate with the media and it fizzled -- he is probably being shunned by the team -- expect a year-long grudge against ML.
    When a person is dead, he doesn't know he's dead .. Same goes for being stupid.
    chet380
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 5:14 pm
  • Take it easy on Clayton; the man covered the Seahawks for a decade during some of their worst years, and he did a pretty damn good job at the time. He might be blind with asshurt at Lynch's press shield, but he has no vendetta against Seattle or the Hawks.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Immediately following the 2102 Week 3 Packers TD call review, here was Clayton's reaction:

Seahawks fan since Topps 1985.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 pm
  • In Clayton's defense, it is probably hard to keep from being angry when you look like a ping pong ball wearing glasses.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

Sat May 31, 2014 5:51 pm
  • None of us have "walked in John Clayton's shoes". He carries a heavy load when he lays down his "reporter job". Needless to say, John has not walked in Marshawn's shoes either. It is easy to react with criticism when a reporter gets "stiff armed" by a player. Marshawn lives in his "own world"....it is not the world of a sports reporter.....and never the two shall meet.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:52 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:I hope Clayton rots in Hell and dies of gonorrhea.

[THUMBS UP SIGN] He looks syphiletic anyway.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:55 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:When Lynch retires he should grant Clayton to do his last interview, LIVE and Lynch should do his best to do a great interview while keeping it PG-13 but at the end when Clayton is thanking Lynch and goes to shake his hand...

Lynch will refuse and then tell John Clayton "To Go Screw Yourself, Beast-Mode out!!!" and then ride off into the sunset, like a boss.

Edited by Throwdown

I'd prefer Lynch stiff arms him to the floor.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:01 am
  • Clayton probably takes it as a shot to his ego, since he is a nationally known writer that lives in Seattle. I imagine he couldn't care less how Marshawn treats the rest of the media, regardless of the facade he puts up. .
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:27 am
  • My thoughts are, if Clayton knew the players like he thinks he does didn't he know that ML would be incognito? And if he did know didn't he kind of set ML up? Something is amiss here.
    " Remember the men and women in uniform that have signed that blank check for us."
    v1rotv2
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:28 am
  • Any credibility he had went out the door for me with his baby like ranting.

Kiss the ring bitch.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 am
  • I was 100% behind Lynch during the superbowl as I am sure most of you remember, but let's be fair to Clayton here. From what I am hearing, Clayton doesn't have personal feelings against Lynch at all. His questions about Lynch's long term reliability are the same questions we've discussed here on other threads: Lynch is nearing thirty and that's when running backs, especially RBs that run with Lynch's hard, bruising style tend to fall of a cliff. We've seen this before with Shaun Alexander; I think we need to be prepared to see it again with Lynch sometime in the near future. I know the FO is (see Turbin and Michels). To postpone that day, Lynch gets as much rest as possible and takes as few non-game hits as possible, but it's going to happen and AFAICT that's what Clayton is talking about.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:34 am
  • OrFan wrote:In Clayton's defense, it is probably hard to keep from being angry when you look like a ping pong ball wearing glasses.

Image Image
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:27 pm
  • Polaris wrote:I was 100% behind Lynch during the superbowl as I am sure most of you remember, but let's be fair to Clayton here. From what I am hearing, Clayton doesn't have personal feelings against Lynch at all. His questions about Lynch's long term reliability are the same questions we've discussed here on other threads: Lynch is nearing thirty and that's when running backs, especially RBs that run with Lynch's hard, bruising style tend to fall of a cliff. We've seen this before with Shaun Alexander; I think we need to be prepared to see it again with Lynch sometime in the near future. I know the FO is (see Turbin and Michels). To postpone that day, Lynch gets as much rest as possible and takes as few non-game hits as possible, but it's going to happen and AFAICT that's what Clayton is talking about.

Dude just turned 28. Theres 2 more full seasons before he's even 30.

Show me on the tape, anywhere, that has showed even a hint of decline. Guys got a few more solid years before all this slacker speculation talk even needs to begin.
    hawksincebirth wrote:
    So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:46 pm
  • Clayton has too many groupie sucks telling him he is a hall of famer "Damn it". it has gone to his head. He doesn't believe he can ever be wrong, and everyone in football should just listen to him.
    Member of 39 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:51 am
  • BlueTalon wrote:
    OrFan wrote:In Clayton's defense, it is probably hard to keep from being angry when you look like a ping pong ball wearing glasses.

Image Image

OH MY GOD!! Lynch is going to quit on the Seahawks, mmkay?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 am
  • I'd be curious to hear the context of these comments. If he's framing them as an injury concern, well, to be honest, Beast Mode runs hard and I think that's always a concern.

But if it's simply stemming from him perceiving Lynch's attitude to be undedicated and lackluster (comments MANY people made due to his lack off attention at Super Bowl press events), that's just ridiculous and I'm going to say downright idiotic to say. The man goes back to Oakland every year to help those kids, then comes back and busts his ass on the field. No RB in the last 3 seasons has had 1200+ yards and 10+ TDs, except Lynch.

A guy that runs like this, does not just give up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf2Lr8ucJw8
    ManBunts
    NET Starter

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:33 am
  • Our Man in Chicago wrote:Take it easy on Clayton; the man covered the Seahawks for a decade during some of their worst years, and he did a pretty damn good job at the time. He might be blind with asshurt at Lynch's press shield, but he has no vendetta against Seattle or the Hawks.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Immediately following the 2102 Week 3 Packers TD call review, here was Clayton's reaction:

Nice photo find. I like it.

To those of you rushing to Clayton's defense with the "ML will eventually reach a drop off point so we should be ready" translation; why wouldn't Clayton just say that instead of saying how he thinks ML will leave the team hanging? It is his opinion but seems pretty harsh without offering some sort of reasoning behind taking that position. Umm-kay?

muy bien....muy bien..... muy bien..... muy bien........

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:49 am
  • Cartire wrote:
    Polaris wrote:I was 100% behind Lynch during the superbowl as I am sure most of you remember, but let's be fair to Clayton here. From what I am hearing, Clayton doesn't have personal feelings against Lynch at all. His questions about Lynch's long term reliability are the same questions we've discussed here on other threads: Lynch is nearing thirty and that's when running backs, especially RBs that run with Lynch's hard, bruising style tend to fall of a cliff. We've seen this before with Shaun Alexander; I think we need to be prepared to see it again with Lynch sometime in the near future. I know the FO is (see Turbin and Michels). To postpone that day, Lynch gets as much rest as possible and takes as few non-game hits as possible, but it's going to happen and AFAICT that's what Clayton is talking about.

Dude just turned 28. Theres 2 more full seasons before he's even 30.

Show me on the tape, anywhere, that has showed even a hint of decline. Guys got a few more solid years before all this slacker speculation talk even needs to begin.

Actually if you run the stats for Running Backs around the league, you start seeing their production fall off a cliff right around the age of......28. No Lynch hasn't shown many signs of this, but he has struggled a bit lately esp in short yardage (IMO more due to our laughable excuse for an o-line than Lynch). Like I said, I'm not really seeing any anti-Lynch bias from Clayton other than the super-bowl. Rather, a caution that there are probably more seasons behind Lynch in Seattle than ahead of him esp with his current contract. I suspect the F.O. agrees hence Turbin and Michels.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 am
  • It is not Clayton in general but the media. They feel it necessary to create drama, conspiracy, unrest. This is lazy journalism but attracts a lot of readers. The days of good old fashioned journalism based on facts are pretty much over. Too much trying to be the first to break a story, that things like fact check are no longer part of the equation. Clayton is probably feeling the pressure to find some drama even if there is no substance to it. This crap sells and makes money
    warden
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:52 am
  • nwgamer wrote:Nice photo find. I like it.

To those of you rushing to Clayton's defense with the "ML will eventually reach a drop off point so we should be ready" translation; why wouldn't Clayton just say that instead of saying how he thinks ML will leave the team hanging? It is his opinion but seems pretty harsh without offering some sort of reasoning behind taking that position. Umm-kay?

I haven't seen anything from Clayton that even remotely implies (let alone says) that Lynch will leave the 'hawks hanging. The worst I've heard from Clayton is that Lynch will be Lynch and the team accepts that and him (Lynch). The worst Clayton has said that Lynch is hard to figure out at least from what I've heard.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 am
  • Clayton has the most annoying show on radio. Every caller slurps on him then asks the dumbest question that he either ignores or doesnt answer. I think his show is there to feed his ago so he can hear how great he is.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:49 am
  • I don't have a dog in this fight...

...but wasn't there a story about Lynch having told teammates he was going to retire after the season? Then after the SB he spoke with Sherman and Sherman asked him if he was still going to retire and Marshawn said no?

I seem to remember something about that. Then again, that may have been another Clayton article.

EDIT: Found it.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/03/richard-s ... -seahawks/

"At 4:08 a.m., Sherman is on his feet. The celebration continues to roar upstairs, and Sherman wants to see at least a portion of the concert. Ashley helps him up, hands him his crutches and holds his drink. He gets to the elevator just as Lynch and a half dozen of his friends pour in, stumbling like children run amok. Lynch is still stiff and cool, still wrapped in the same face-warmer, hoodie up. Lynch has been telling teammates all season he’ll retire if they win the Super Bowl. Sherman doesn’t believe him. In the lobby upstairs, they put their heads together and Lynch whispers something inaudible through the mask. Sherman laughs and screams, “You reneged!” Fans at the concert see Sherman and begin sloppily chanting, “L-O-B! L-O-B!” He leaves Lynch, sticks his crutches under his arms and disappears into the crowd. The night is not over yet."
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 am
  • Clayton is an old school beat reporter now stuck in a modern day sports world.

So while he was very good at reporting in the 80's and 90's, he's below average in the opinion department........which is what "reporters" are now. They don't just go to the ball game, and transpose what happened for a local newspaper. The NFL is a 24/7 hype machine, so guys like Clayton have to try and come up with stuff to talk about.

Bottom line, there's no way in hell a guy like Clayton would be a NFL reporter today just starting out. He's antiquated, repetitive and just flat out boring with his opinions.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:27 pm
  • warden wrote:It is not Clayton in general but the media. They feel it necessary to create drama, conspiracy, unrest. This is lazy journalism but attracts a lot of readers. The days of good old fashioned journalism based on facts are pretty much over.

Good old fashioned journalism was just as bad if not worse. Yellow journalism or journalistic bias is nothing new. The big difference is what we now consider newsworthy. That's more on us than journalists.

As far as Clayton is concerned, it wouldn't surprise me if he is carrying some baggage from Lynch's effort to participate as little as possible in press day. The upshot of which is that fans were more sympathetic to Lynch than the press.
    rigelian
    NET Starter

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:38 pm
  • I like Clayton a lot. He always has some sort of news and the inside scoop on a lot of things in the football world.

Even his analysis isn't that bad most of that time. When he gets in trouble is when he is wrong. If he is wrong, he doesn't let it go and try to move past it. He tries to convince everyone his reasoning and that something unforeseen happened that changed what he predicted and in normal circumstances, he would've actually been right.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:47 pm
  • I've always liked clayton. Don't really get his beef with Marshawn but he always has good insight. He may not be right 100% of the time but nobody is. I also like La Canfora though and most people here seem to hate him...well..really everyone here seems to basically hate everyone so. ..
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:15 pm
  • Clayton irritates the heck out of me sometimes but I will always be grateful to him for helping get Cortez Kennedy into the HOF. Without Johns advocacy, he may never have made it, as well deserved as it was...
    birdman5
    NET Rookie

It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information