Seahawks had Paul Richardson No. 1 on their board on Day 2

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Here's the commentary by the NFL Network's Curtis Conway after Day One (suggesting Paul Richardson was the No. 1 WR available), which had Carroll and Schneider paranoid that someone would take Richardson early in the Second Round:

[youtube]EayeXDKx6Z4[/youtube]

When the Eagles traded up to No. 42, Schneider became especially worried that they would draft Richardson as the replacement for DeSean Jackson, but instead they took Jordan Matthews, whom the Seahawks actually had rated lower than Richardson.

JZ#1

Reaction score
We lucked out because Jordan Matthews is going to be absolute trash at the next level.

Soppie

Reaction score
On Monday Schneider was on Brock and Danny and said that Richardson was who they would have took at 32 if they had to make their pick. They gambled that he would still be there if they traded down and he was.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I am extremely surprised the Eagles passed on Richardson when they traded up. He seems like the perfect fit for Chip Kelly's Offense.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Not surprising. Doug Baldwin called that pick on KJR a couple hours before the pick was made.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
The last time the Eagles traded up in the early rounds to leapfrog the Hawks we got Earl Thomas. This is a good omen.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Escamillo":14asnbv4 said:
Not surprising. Doug Baldwin called that pick on KJR a couple hours before the pick was made.

That was pretty crazy, I heard him say that. Then after the interview went and looked up Richardson because I hadn't heard of him before.

That Angry Doug is a smart dude. :th2thumbs:

kobebryant

Reaction score
hawknation2014":h3b56eij said:
Here's the commentary by the NFL Network's Curtis Conway after Day One (suggesting Paul Richardson was the No. 1 WR available), which had Carroll and Schneider paranoid that someone would take Richardson early in the Second Round:

[youtube]EayeXDKx6Z4[/youtube]

When the Eagles traded up to No. 42, Schneider became especially worried that they would draft Richardson as the replacement for DeSean Jackson, but instead they took Jordan Matthews, whom the Seahawks actually had rated lower than Richardson.

Not that I don't believe you; but do you have a citation for this so that I can listen to it/ read it ? Thanks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2nb0pujs said:
The last time the Eagles traded up in the early rounds to leapfrog the Hawks we got Earl Thomas. This is a good omen.

IIRC they took Brandom Graham with that pick. He looked good at the combine and in games, everyone saw him as an Elvis Dumervil clone but he hasn't panned out.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
All the boards had the Hawks taking a big physical recivever. JS/PC thinking for themselves is what made this incredible team. It helps our draft because other GMs just have no clue what the Seahawks are going to take.

olyfan63

Reaction score
JZ#1":cv9fu1yc said:
We lucked out because Jordan Matthews is going to be absolute trash at the next level.

No, that prediction is absolute rubbish. :shock: Matthews looks like he will be a perfectly serviceable #3/#4 receiver in the NFL. There's nothing wrong with being the 3rd best receiver in a Chip Kelly team's offense. So there. Of course here, he'd be behind Baldwin, Kearse, and a healthy Rice, and behind Tate if he was coming back. (He kinda looks like a slightly taller Tate who doesn't break tackles) As it is, he looks like he'd be the 3rd best rookie receiver after the other 2 rooks we drafted.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
olyfan63":dpfk5byj said:
JZ#1":dpfk5byj said:

No, that prediction is absolute rubbish. :shock: Matthews looks like he will be a perfectly serviceable #3/#4 receiver in the NFL. There's nothing wrong with being the 3rd best receiver in a Chip Kelly team's offense. So there. Of course here, he'd be behind Baldwin, Kearse, and a healthy Rice, and behind Tate if he was coming back. (He kinda looks like a slightly taller Tate who doesn't break tackles) As it is, he looks like he'd be the 3rd best rookie receiver after the other 2 rooks we drafted.

Ive asked JZ#1 what his reasoning behind this thought is numerous times and he's never responded. I think Matthews is a heck of a player, was the focus of SEC defenses for his entire career and put up big numbers. I think he slept with JZ#1's girlfriend or something.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
JZ#1":1qgkgjzd said:

You should have this as your signature line so that we can all laugh at you hysterically two years from now.

justafan

Reaction score
When I started looking at WRs I saw his size,watched part of a vid and saw that he wasnt much of a blocker and wrote him off as a hawk type WR.Never even gave him a slightest chance of being the type of WR they were after.Im excited to see both these rookies this preseason.

JZ#1

Reaction score
gowazzu02":22bixouw said:
olyfan63":22bixouw said:
JZ#1":22bixouw said:

Ive asked JZ#1 what his reasoning behind this thought is numerous times and he's never responded. I think Matthews is a heck of a player, was the focus of SEC defenses for his entire career and put up big numbers. I think he slept with JZ#1's girlfriend or something.

Sorry, I didn't see your responses.

Struggles to get separation despite good timed speed. Yes, he is fast but he takes a while to accelerate and get to top end speed. Because he struggles to get much separation, you will notice on a lot of plays that he is competing in the air for the ball with the DB. He doesn't pluck the ball out of the air or anything. Instead he waits for the ball to come to him. In college this worked some, in the NFL it won't work nearly as often. He is big but doesn't play like it. He uses his body to catch too much.

Matthews is only good in zone coverage. He sucks in man coverage. Most of the big plays you see on film won't translate into the pro game. They are all screens that are just from good blocking, crappy defensive plays, hitch and go's or he is just one on one with a bad safety.

He takes plays off. He doesn't give consistent effort and he is a terrible blocker.

He may contribute some in the NFL, but it won't be anything close to expectation. I don't see him ever producing more than an average receiver who can beat zone coverage. In fact, because of his lack of consistent effort, I think he is capable of just being a complete whiff.