Will Russell Wilson lead league next year being sacked?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I sure hope not... i sure hope the FO will be diligent in doing "whatever" in protecting him and reduce the number from 44 in 2013 to say... a much more respectable ... 30 or less!!

Do you think they are focused on this stat?!!

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If our offensive linemen stay healthy then no. If we have a rash of injuries again then who knows.

The Radish

Reaction score
I think our O line will improve this coming season.

The longer they play together the better they will get. Will they be 2005 good? Jesus Christ no.

:les:

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Our star is quite resilient, but that is a huge gamble that he can continue with the barrage of attacks without ultimate consequences

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think our oline will be just fine next year for a few reasons -

1.) Hopefully okung's foot issue was helped by the surgery
2.) Carp will be playing for a job and money next year
3.) 3rd year at the new position for sweezy
4.) Bowie and Bailey got valuable experience last year
5.) Hopefully Unger can stay healthy and hopefully has had time to fix the poor snaps he was making last year
6.) Some rookies who look capable of filling in

No reason to think our line should be worse just because of breno's departure because otherwise accross the board we should hopefully be better

Mick063

Reaction score
Houdini seemed to manage escaping from a tank of water with his hands handcuffed. It was all part of the show. People bought tickets to see if he could escape.

Russell is Houdini.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
:229031_confused2: I'm pretty sure they just drafted a couple OL and signed a few more in UDFA

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
He better not. He's got the WR corps to hit those quick throws and pick up big yardage So he needs to take advantage.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sarlacc83":17l53l2p said:
He better not. He's got the WR corps to hit those quick throws and pick up big yardage So he needs to take advantage.

You know, I think this was one aspect of the game they thought about in particular this draft. Yes, Wilson needs protection, but if the receiving corps is upgraded, Wilson's going to be awfully hard to sack if the receiver already has the ball down field.

We talk about how hard a guy like Peyton Manning is to sack, and it sure as hell ain't because he's mobile. It's because a second after you start running at him, he doesn't have the ball anymore. A receiver upgrade like we might have gotten in this draft might just provide the same for Russell Wilson.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Teams will respect our WR corps next year, unlike they did this past year. That alone should ease some of the pressure

theascension

Reaction score
As much as we like to lament the Oline Russell is one of the slowest passers in the league in terms of getting the ball out fast. He can improve not getting sacked as well by getting better moving in the pocket and getting the ball out fast. I think we'll be okay, Bowie and Bailey are going to be great and Britt and some of the others we drafted are pretty versatile.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
theascension":23rzbcn8 said:
As much as we like to lament the Oline Russell is one of the slowest passers in the league in terms of getting the ball out fast. He can improve not getting sacked as well by getting better moving in the pocket and getting the ball out fast. I think we'll be okay, Bowie and Bailey are going to be great and Britt and some of the others we drafted are pretty versatile.
Meh, is that on Russell or the receivers for getting no separation?

chris98251

Reaction score
This WR corps has speed all over it now, even with Rice in the Lineup last year they respected him more and backed up, Kearse began to get some respect as the season progressed, just about the time the Line got healthy though so is it the chicken or the egg?

They won't stack us like last year though, the Super Bowl showed everyone that we will use that against them, I think we held back some prior as well becasue the Broncos sure were not ready for what we did on offense either despite what our defense did to them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Britt will punch somebody in the face. Book it.:)

Oh yeah, don't forget about those receivers we drafted. They look like the real deal. Plus what we have already even if they're pedestrian.

GLOCKHAWK

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":334gglaa said:
Britt will punch somebody in the face. Book it.:)

THIS!

Oh yeah, don't forget about those receivers we drafted. They look like the real deal. Plus what we have already even if they're pedestrian.

JMR

Reaction score
If you tell RW to get rid of it quickly a la Peyton Manning in order to cut down on sacks, you likely give up those plays where he scrambles around to give time for his receivers to break free 30, 40, or 50 yards down field like in the NFCC. Why take away a part of his game that makes him such a dangerous and difficult player to stop? If we continue to be an offense that only throws it 25 times a game, we need those big chunk plays.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
tom sawyer":1qxe252u said:
I sure hope not... i sure hope the FO will be diligent in doing "whatever" in protecting him and reduce the number from 44 in 2013 to say... a much more respectable ... 30 or less!!

Do you think they are focused on this stat?!!

13 QBs got sacked between 38 and 44 times last year.

There were 5 QBs that threw for more than 20 TDs and had 30 or less sacks (this mostly shows who had significant playing time in the 30 and under club). These were Rivers (11 INTs), Dalton (20 INTs), Foles (2 INTs), Stafford (19 INTs), and Manning (10 INTs).

Who wouldn't want the sacks to come down? I certainly would, but I wouldn't like to see the ball getting chucked out Farve-style to avoid sacks. It certainly didn't work out for Manning in the Super Bowl.

It doesn't help that Wilson has to play the Rams and 49ers twice a year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Mick063":duaaz16u said:
Houdini seemed to manage escaping from a tank of water with his hands handcuffed. It was all part of the show. People bought tickets to see if he could escape.

Russell is Houdini.

Except in your analogy Houdini drowned more frequently than any other magician. ;)