Replacing Tate, Bryant and McDonald

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It's been awhile, been following the board here and there but not much free time these days.

I've been re-watching the 2013 season piece by piece, and I think one of the biggest questions this team will have to answer this season is who steps up to replace Golden Tate, Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald.

Tate, while obviously marginalized by good CBs far too often, made TONS of huge plays for us, not just in the passing game but as a punt returner. His shiftiness and low center of gravity made him very really hard to tackle. Who steps up to fill his role as a receiver and probably more importantly, a returner, will be very important.

I do like entering the season with Rice, Harvin, Baldwin and Kearse as the four primary targets at WR plus I'm excited about the possibility of Chris Matthews and I expect we will draft a big body WR as well. Ricardo Lockette is getting better and better, and perhaps Phil Bates will finally emerge.

But Tate was almost a guarantee for several big plays every game. I've lost track of the great catches, runs after the catch and returns he had.

Bryant, while he has never racked up the stats, was a HUGE (literally) component in our run defense. I am not sure who they plan on replacing him with (Scruggs? McDaniel? Draft pick?), but we need someone who can anchor and absorb bodies. Being able to concentrate on the individual plays when re-watching games has shown me how important Bryant really was.

McDonald...wow, underrated. He was very disruptive at the point of attack, and he had a knack for making plays (sacks, fumble recoveries, even a pick vs Minnesota). I am guessing they are hoping that Jordan Hill becomes that kind of player.

I'm more concerned with replacing these three than I am with Browner, Clemons, Thurmond, Giacomini, Robinson and McQuistan.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The one out of that group you listed that may be the hardest to replace is Byrant. But it's obvious that the team believes we already have the answers on the roster. And we have to play the young guys at some point or it's a waste.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3a37o9lm said:
Yep....just very curious as to WHO they see as Bryant's replacement. My guess is Scruggs.
Scruggs or maybe even The Monstar (Jesse Williams). From what I am seeing the 2-3 options seem to be bulking up for a battle in TC. Other than that I can't give an informed guess because they could go so many different directions and Pete would be completely comfortable with changing the defensive scheme to match his talent anyway.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tate : Harvin + mores snaps for Kearse + maybe Rice

PR: who knows at this point but Seahawks have Lockette who did it in college and Christine Michael who possibly can step-up in the role to get field time. Both have elite athleticism. Plus this draft is literally filled with Golden Tates that will fall because of bigger WRs.

Bryant: a rotation of McDaniel, Bennett, and Scruggs

McDaniel: a rotation of Scruggs, Williams, and McDaniel

McDonald: Hill and Brooks, both have strong pass-rush potential while McDonald was one of my favorite players let's not act like he's been a gem... it was Quinn and the supporting D-Line cast and the mixture of talent McDonald faced that allowed him to put in a career year.

Clemons: Cliff Avril

Avril: Bruce Irvin

Browner: Byron Maxwell

Thurmond: Jeremy Lane

Giacomini: Bowie, Bailey vs Draft Pick or Two

I really don't see the Seahawks losing a beat defensively or offensively... they lost some good leaders but mostly role players and the the Seahawks have the talent for their depth to step up and produce.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3nrw49l7 said:
Yep....just very curious as to WHO they see as Bryant's replacement. My guess is Scruggs.
Scruggs would be the obvious, because 'Big Red' was grooming him to be his replacement.

gmor

Reaction score
Hey Greg,

Sliding McDaniel outside is an easy fix if Scuggs doesn't step up. It looks like they'll return to average in the return game if something doesn't change before the season starts. As far as McDonald, whoever wins the playing time will have a big challenge in making us forget him. I think we'll fill these concerns with quality players.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Good points, all. I am confident we will fill the gaps well, I think more than anything at this point it's curiosity how it's going to play out.

Just realized watching the games from last season we have a lot of new faces ready to step in.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Also Benson Mayowa is lurking on the edge. I think we may just be getting younger and faster. For me Clemons is the one I need someone to stup up and replace. He was very good on the edge and squeezing the pocket. Bythe end of the year he was getting back to his noemal play. Clem and Bryant should be a great fit in J-Ville with Gus.

Also are we not also sending the message, you come in here and compete. If you do well you either stick here or get a great opportunity in another city. PC and company have shown that they can groom talent.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":327zn03t said:
Exactly this.

The defensive players are non-issue to me because of the amount of rotation on the DLine. Rotate less 1 man, and problem solved. Add the kids on IR like Scruggs and Williams and no more problem.

But the Tate thing - Harvin wasn't on the field for the vast majority of last year. He fills the same role Tate played, so is a direct replacement. Kearse has looked great since his Lasik surgery and needs to see more balls thrown his way. Rice doesn't play the same role as Tate, so that's not a replacement. Rice will probably fight with Matthews for a spot.

blkhwk

Reaction score
I would assume the front office isn't too worried about losing Red, they didn't even ask him to restructure!

McDonald had a very good year, but remember, he was cut to start the season.

Tate will be misses mostly as a punt returner.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Don't forget about Michael Brooks as an option at the five technique. Brooks is getting huge this off-season, while maintaining his good athleticism. He played a lot at the five technique against Atlanta, when Red Bryant was out, and looked surprisingly good for a rookie.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1zokbzbo said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1zokbzbo said:
Exactly this.

The defensive players are non-issue to me because of the amount of rotation on the DLine. Rotate less 1 man, and problem solved. Add the kids on IR like Scruggs and Williams and no more problem.

But the Tate thing - Harvin wasn't on the field for the vast majority of last year. He fills the same role Tate played, so is a direct replacement. Kearse has looked great since his Lasik surgery and needs to see more balls thrown his way. Rice doesn't play the same role as Tate, so that's not a replacement. Rice will probably fight with Matthews for a spot.

Williams and his knee don't enter the equation for me...he has to prove he can stay on the field first before anything. He missed an entire season of development last year.

Agreed on Harvin, but he has to stay healthy too. Rice and Kearse are different types of WRs ... not shifty or quick, they are more size guys. And neither is a punt return option so replacing Golden in that role remains a curiosity.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Pete has had a top 5 defense every year he has been coaching in the league (2010 exception for obvious reasons). Long before he had Big Red.

Dan Quinn is known for his D-line building and with all the talent there and the LOB creating time it should be no surprise someone like McDonald had a career year even though he was released before the season started and no team was interested. Now with a nice new contract and without Quinn and the surrounding cast he will become the same guy that no one was interested in. On the other hand his replacement will have Quinn and the LOB plus Bennett, Avril, Mebane and so on to draw attention away from him and put him in favorable positions.

Love Tate, one of the funnest to watch but his only similarity to Harvin was his YAC and his hands. They play different positions altogether. Tate was playing the same position as Kearse and Baldwin. If he is not on the field one of them as well as Lockette and a potential new comer will be. His production was decent but by no means irreplaceable. Though his highlight real will be hard to match.

Punt returner really to me is the only real question mark but as someone else pointed out. Lockette did it in college and he is lightning fast and Christine Michael might also be good options. JS did compare him to Harvin regarding his electricity. Maybe the thought is already there. We also still have the draft to potentially find a punt returner.

All in all, not worried. This FO has improve significantly each year and even if they were only able to stay even from last we are still the best team in football but don't count on it. We never got to see Harvin and Rice on the field together or even in the same game and the Odds of our O-line being decimated like last year is pretty unlikely. Wilson is now in his 3rd year and that is when most QB's see their most growth. Plus he is coming into a likely contract year so I expect to see him improve even from what we have seen already.

This year could be amazing. If this team stays focused and somewhat healthy they are not only the biggest threat in the league to win it all (again) they are the biggest threat since NE to go 19-0.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Golden Tate has played in if I remember correctly 58 games, and has gotten 250 total touches.

Percy Harvin has played in 57 or so games, and has had over 500 touches.

Who knows if Tate at 500 touches is as durable as the Tate we saw at 250... fact is though Harvin is a much more dynamic player. Elite play-maker.

And I still don't classify as Harvin as "injury-proned"

Other than his college injuries... he suffered from migraines, he had hip surgerythat was speculated that he needed since entering the league, a mere ankle sprain he could have came back from but issues with coaching caused him to get shutdown, and he suffered concussions because Saints were playing a bit dirty in the sense they were over aggressive.

Let's not act like Harvin needs to prove to be healthy.... because of his hip... Jarius Byrd has done just fine on shorter recovery at a more viotile position of Safety. Other than Linsfranc injurys he's been relatively healthy without any big problems since having the same surgery has Harvin did back in 2010.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RichNhansom":33wttexd said:
Pete has had a top 5 defense every year he has been coaching in the league (2010 exception for obvious reasons). Long before he had Big Red.

This year could be amazing. If this team stays focused and somewhat healthy they are not only the biggest threat in the league to win it all (again) they are the biggest threat since NE to go 19-0.

Are you referring to Pete's career as head coach of the Patriots (and I think the Jets) for a few years, that each of those teams had a top 5 defense?

Man, if you're spouting 19-0, it's going to jinx any chance of it. I don't see it--lots of new faces to assimilate, too many teams gunning for the defending SB champs, a couple teams will play out of their minds, plus NFC West road games will all be very challenging, and maybe a meaningless last game or two after clinching the division. I'm thinking 12-4 regular season. But, once the new faces get assimilated, 3-0 in the playoffs seems entirely reasonable :)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":33oc3y40 said:

PR: who knows at this point but Seahawks have Lockette who did it in college and Christine Michael who possibly can step-up in the role to get field time. Both have elite athleticism. Plus this draft is literally filled with Golden Tates that will fall because of bigger WRs.

Bryant: a rotation of McDaniel, Bennett, and Scruggs

McDaniel: a rotation of Scruggs, Williams, and McDaniel

McDonald: Hill and Brooks, both have strong pass-rush potential while McDonald was one of my favorite players let's not act like he's been a gem... it was Quinn and the supporting D-Line cast and the mixture of talent McDonald faced that allowed him to put in a career year.

Clemons: Cliff Avril

Avril: Bruce Irvin

Browner: Byron Maxwell

Thurmond: Jeremy Lane

Giacomini: Bowie, Bailey vs Draft Pick or Two

I really don't see the Seahawks losing a beat defensively or offensively... they lost some good leaders but mostly role players and the the Seahawks have the talent for their depth to step up and produce.

This is definitely,,,,,,,spot on.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
olyfan63":tdv6pf00 said:
RichNhansom":tdv6pf00 said:

Are you referring to Pete's career as head coach of the Patriots (and I think the Jets) for a few years, that each of those teams had a top 5 defense?

Man, if you're spouting 19-0, it's going to jinx any chance of it. I don't see it--lots of new faces to assimilate, too many teams gunning for the defending SB champs, a couple teams will play out of their minds, plus NFC West road games will all be very challenging, and maybe a meaningless last game or two after clinching the division. I'm thinking 12-4 regular season. But, once the new faces get assimilated, 3-0 in the playoffs seems entirely reasonable :)

Teams were gunning for us last year. We were well documented as the team to beat before the season began. This year I'm sure we will see some of that as well but after coming through last year in the fashion we did and with an improved offense which I believe is likely, we could also see teams lose steam very fast if they get behind. Kind of the young Tiger woods effect. Scares the hell out of his opponents if he is close and causes them to ignore winning and shoot to secure second place if he had a lead,

Looking up his defensive career stats I was wrong (not sure what it was I read now) but even still his career is filled mostly with top 10 defenses and many top 5 with a smattering out of that range.

Seafan

Reaction score
The replacements are on the roster. Harvin and Rice. Scrugs, McDaniel and Hill.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'm most worried about losing Giacomini. We could be awful thin on the line and should Okung's or Unger's injuries flair up again Russell would be in big time peril.