Sherman option gm thought.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
The one thing we have not seen from JS is making a huge trade ala the pats. Fleecing whoever is stupid enough to trade with them (I'm looking at you Ruskell). In so doing keeping a manageable cap and supplemental younger talent So if the Sherman deal does not get done could we possibly get a huge bounty from a trade. I think so.

themunn

Reaction score
What huge trades have the Pats made where they've fleeced someone?

Only one I can think of is Richard Seymour, who went on to be on of the best DTs in the league for another 5 years afterwards, so hardly the best comparison

Oh yeah Deion Branch

rideaducati

Reaction score
Didn't Seattle give a first round pick for a certain wide receiver from the Pats?

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I'd say we fleeced the Bills for Marshawn and the Eagles for Clemons.

Cartire

Reaction score
Wait, every single comment is focused on the wrong part of the OP.

TRADE SHERMAN?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sprfunk":4jxtbbqj said:
The one thing we have not seen from JS is making a huge trade ala the pats. Fleecing whoever is stupid enough to trade with them (I'm looking at you Ruskell). In so doing keeping a manageable cap and supplemental younger talent So if the Sherman deal does not get done could we possibly get a huge bounty from a trade. I think so.
Ugh, the fantasy football mentality strikes again. You don't trade a player of Sherman's caliber period, end of story!

themunn

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody who answered my question with Seymour and Branch, I apparently never thought of them?

Matt Cassel is a pretty decent shout, although the Chiefs also got good value out of that trade, considering they got Cassel and Vrabel for a 2nd round pick.

I just don't get this idea that the Pats/Belichick are masters of getting more than fair value from the players they trade away.

And picking up bargains like Moss/Welker/Blount etc (something we're also very good at) is the opposite of what we're talking about, which is getting rid of players for a premium that is more than their value.
Trades like Herschel Walker, Rick Mirer, Carson Palmer (to the Raiders), RGIII (essentially), Roy Williams (to the Cowboys)... and Deion Branch are fleecings. But the last one is the only time I can think of the Pats getting the better of someone when trading a player away, and in reality we have to give Ruskell credit for that, not Belichick. I just don't see where they get their trading reputation...

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1f8mr459 said:
Sprfunk":1f8mr459 said:
Ugh, the fantasy football mentality strikes again. You don't trade a player of Sherman's caliber period, end of story!

I agree somewhat. I also say we get a deal done and Sherman is going nowhere (same for Thomas btw), but there are scenarios in which I would be ok with trading a player of his talent, and that is if the team attempts to extend the contract, and the player or his agent express a desire to leave the team over re-signing the deal. I know most would say just tag him, but if a player truly doesn't want to be here, it could very well affect the locker room and/or his play on the field. Under a circumstance such as this, I'd understand making the trade now and getting something in return.

With that said, I want to be clear that I don't believe this to be an issue, just a way in which I would be on board with trading a player of his talents (think Galloway)

Cartire

Reaction score
Largent80":2eoozsga said:
Remember the Hershel Walker deal? That deal set up the cowpies for their SB runs.

Back when RBs were still kings. And also, there's a reason the Hershel Walker trade is always brought up. It won't ever happen again. I think any GM anywhere would take a Hershel Walker trade for any one of there players minus their franchise QB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Why would you compare Sherman to Galloway? One a model citizen and the reason another big time FA stayed for likely less than market value and the other a general malcontent.

ivotuk

Reaction score
For all the Ruskell hate, he did "fleece" the Denver Broncos out of their 1st round pick (Earl Thomas), and get us Max Unger.

Bill Belicheck is an idiot and has been wasting Tom Brady's career away with his egotistical trades. Richard Seymour would have been the difference between winning and losing a Superbowl.

He traded away his 1st to Minnesota last year and IIRC, he could have had Cordarrelle Patterson, a player who probably would have gotten them to the Superbowl.

drdiags

Reaction score
If Sherman put the FO in the same position Revis did with the Jets, anything is possible. The question is who the potential trade partners would be? I didn't see the Bucs as a landing spot for Revis but it happened, so you never know until you sample the waters. You could count out the NFC West as potential trade partners. In this scenario, I probably try sending him to the two west coast AFCW teams. Would the Dolphins or Jets want to deal?

Anyway, I doubt it gets to this point. But for conversation sake, I don't see a block-buster trade happening for Sherman.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1aydgjhv said:
Why would you compare Sherman to Galloway? One a model citizen and the reason another big time FA stayed for likely less than market value and the other a general malcontent.

I didn't compare Sherman to Galloway. I said a situation such is the one we had with Galloway would be a reason why you'd trade a player of such immense talent. I also said quite emphatically that I don't see this happening with Sherman. It was just a reply to a post about not EVER trading a player of his talent.

Like I said in my original post, there are reasons to trade a player away even one as good as Richard Sherman. I don't see it happening and am not advocating for it at all, just showing that there is precedent and reason for doing so in SOME cases

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think what the Pats have done well over mega type trades, is letting aging vets go at just the right time and then getting something for them. Richard Sherman is in his prime and no where near an aging vet. Trade him for a couple of 1sts in 2020.