WR Chris Matthews (6'5, 218)

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Does anyone think Matthews could be a surprise contributor at SE?

He was the CFL Rookie of the Year. The Seahawks signed him to a future's contract and then recently gave him a $10,000 signing bonus.

[youtube]sbfHpeaVUeA[/youtube]

Clayfighter

Reaction score
I hope this kid pans out. It doesn't look like he is juking anyone or out running safeties, but it looks like he can go up and get the ball. RED ZONE!

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Clayfighter":xqpbrgf0 said:
I hope this kid pans out. It doesn't look like he is juking anyone or out running safeties, but it looks like he can go up and get the ball. RED ZONE!

Maybe an early-season replacement for Rice if they decide to work him back slowly?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
He's not a SE (X), he's a Flanker (Z). He doesn't have the speed or quickness to play on the outside, get separation from press coverage, and stretch the field. He's a short-area, middle-of-the-field guy who will have to do his damage on slant and curl routes. He'll be a long-shot to make the team, particularly since he brings no special teams value. I'm not expecting any surprises from Matthews.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Wait, what?

http://www.thirdandfifteen.com/2009/04/ ... anker.html

Split ends are usually this size - not flankers. They need the size and leverage to get off the jam. They don't need lights out speed or quickness because their size creates the needed mismatches against DBs. Split ends with ridiculous speed are basically top-5 pick type players (Megatron, Fitz etc.) or Hall of Famers like Moss and TO.

Harvin is the team's flanker and Baldwin is the team's slot. Those two positions are set. The open spot is split end and it will be Matthews, Rice and a pick fighting it out for this position. None of those guys can play ST like Kearse so they probably wouldn't be our 4th receiver either as Kearse has a nice blend of quickness and size needed for that 4th receiver spot (though Kearse isn't quite big enough or quick enough to be either of the starting positions, ideally anyway).

To answer OP - he is coming off some injuries and never had great straight line speed so he probably wouldn't flourish in the NFL. His closest match would be BMW when he was here. If he does turn out to be a nice red zone threat/safety blanket - he will serve us quite well.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":dwqft4co said:
He's not a SE (X), he's a Flanker (Z). He doesn't have the speed or quickness to play on the outside, get separation from press coverage, and stretch the field. He's a short-area, middle-of-the-field guy who will have to do his damage on slant and curl routes. He'll be a long-shot to make the team, particularly since he brings no special teams value. I'm not expecting any surprises from Matthews.

This is an interesting post. I just think we must have different ideas about the prototypical SE. For example, Mike Williams started at SE in 2010 and 2011. And it could hardly be said that Mike Williams had "the speed or quickness to play on the outside, get separation from press coverage, and stretch the field." I think Williams is a good comparison for Mathews because he was another big bodied 6'5 receiver with big hands and a 4.5s 40 time.

You're probably right about Matthews not surprising anyone, since CFL players hardly ever work out (Brandon Browner not withstanding). However, because the Seahawks have already paid him a signing bonus, its likely Matthews will get an opportunity during camp and perhaps in the preseason. And the position he is likely to play is Split End.

Basis4day

Reaction score
While i love these types of stories, it will be very difficult to make the roster as a WR.
They likely won't keep more than 6 WR on the 53 man roster. Harvin, Kearse and Baldwin are going to make the team. Rice will if his knee holds up.

Competition with guys currently on the roster in Bates, Clark, Lockette, Matthews, Price and Walters and anyone we take in the draft.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, this is how I view the WRs.

Base 2 WR sets:

Flanker: Harvin
Split End: Baldwin

Base 3 WR sets:

Flanker: Kearse/Rice
Split End: Baldwin
Slot: Harvin

And ofcourse with Kearse, Baldwin, and Harvin you can mix and match to create certain matchups as all three are interchangeable.

Then definately in certain situations you'll see Rice (if he makes the team) more exclusively on 3rd downs and in RZ situations.

A rookie will get snaps but not many if top 4 are healthy, he'll get Michael treatment. And if the team keeps Lockette, I would thing his ST value trumps a rookie waiting for snaps altogether.

Also, it dumb to write off Mathews as an afterthought, we've seen lesser players earn their way onto the team... pretty much NorthDallas40oz described Mathews into being a DJ Hackett/Houshmanzadeh type player. If Rice can't return to form, there's value in that.

My sleeper WR though is Phil Bates... he's a better WR than Lockette, so if he can spend this off-season working on acing his Special Team game and possible add reliable Punt Returner to his resume... I could see him beating out Lockette or a late round rook.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I don't think Baldwin played any SE last season . . . he started nine games at flanker. Kearse played both flanker and split end last year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I doubt he makes the team.. maybe he can be stashed on the PS though

jblaze

Reaction score
There was actually quite a bit of competition to sign this kid. PC/JS are pretty high on him as we need more size in our WR corp. I think he makes the team and maybe takes Lockette's role.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I'll say this for Mathews, his speed doesn't seem terribly impressive, but he's not slow and he doesn't hesitate to go up and get the ball in the middle and take the hit, takes guts. Catches with his hands well and stretches for the extra yard. I like him.

I don't see him replacing Lockette, who I don't want to lose. The guy puts the fear into punt returners everywhere. That said, we'll have to see how this Miami fiasco pans out.

Seafan

Reaction score
Mathews was with the group in California working out and per twitter he looked solid. The Hawks likely will add more receivers in May. Rice, Baldwin and Kearse will be free agents next season.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Carroll and Schneider have been looking for this kind of huge WR. We had it in one year of Mike Williams.

I hope Matthews catches on and fills the role.

King Dog

Reaction score
hawknation2014":pguum1d2 said:
Does anyone think Matthews could be a surprise contributor at SE?

He was the CFL Rookie of the Year. The Seahawks signed him to a future's contract and then recently gave him a $10,000 signing bonus.

[youtube]sbfHpeaVUeA[/youtube]

No. No I don't :)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Isn't it just a tad early to have any clear idea of what the team has in this player?

He has premium size, appears to have adequate speed, a huge catch radius, adequate physicality, and good hands. Lots to like here, but we've seen this movie before, so time will tell.