Report: Seahawks only team interested in Sydney Rice.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Either he's not healthy yet or no one is interested in him at his current contract demands.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3cfsdb68 said:
I would love it if we could get him back with a super cheap deal. :D

Rice doesn't have a choice if he wants to keep playing. He's going to have to accept a veteran minimum deal and prove during training camp that he can still play.

So if he's back, it will be on a zero risk for the Hawks contract.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2sbemue8 said:
Either he's not healthy yet or no one is interested in him at his current contract demands.
Or they simply realize that even when "healthy" he's a middling, broken-down-bodied receiver with nominal utility.

kidhawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":iaoc1el7 said:
Missing_Clink":iaoc1el7 said:
Or they simply realize that even when "healthy" he's a middling, broken-down-bodied receiver with nominal utility.

Who would want a receiver who only averages 15+ yards a carry over his time in Seattle?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":jj4t5hth said:
Missing_Clink":jj4t5hth said:

I think you are being unfair to Rice. When healthy he is a Damn good receiver. It's just that he has battled so many injuries the last few years.

Cartire

Reaction score
I wonder what type of psych damage would occur to play for the same team again one a vet minimum when you were suppose to collect $9 mil. Would the same drive to be the best still be present, or would we get a bare-minimum version?

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Cartire":3tlelu5m said:
I wonder what type of psych damage would occur to play for the same team again one a vet minimum when you were suppose to collect $9 mil. Would the same drive to be the best still be present, or would we get a bare-minimum version?

I doubt much especially if he likes the organization; at least for next year anyway. He may build resentment over other guys getting paid over time. Ultimately, however, he knows he has had multiple ailments and that he isn't what he was when he first signed the contract. The writing was on the wall and if he had any reasonable understanding of the situation - he can't possibly have expected to see that 9 million.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3if665zj said:

Rice has never struck me as a stupid person, and I think he's probably familiar with the league enough that his being released wasn't any sort of surprise. The money dictated it would happen. As for his drive, if we're the only team showing interest, then he can use that as motivation to prove all the other teams wrong.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Would only be ok with signing him if it's dirt cheap and they still draft a WR with one of their first two picks.

Otherwise.. no thanks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kidhawk":3hr1dng5 said:
NorthDallas40oz":3hr1dng5 said:
Missing_Clink":3hr1dng5 said:

Who would want a receiver who only averages 15+ yards a carry over his time in Seattle?
Naw, that would be stupid especially given he will get the vet minimum. Basically the only reason there are haters on this board concerning him was his contract not his actual production. So sign him cheap and watch him outperform the contract and mentor a couple young guys in the bargain.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Considering he's a 6'4'' receiver who is only 27, and he averages 14.8 yards a reception, but is getting no interest?

My guess is that knee is probably in bad shape....

rideaducati

Reaction score
kidhawk":3osvop3e said:
NorthDallas40oz":3osvop3e said:
Missing_Clink":3osvop3e said:

The Seahawks wanted that, but they didn't want to pay full price for the guy to sit on the bench 6.5 games per year. Plus, the guy injures himself by needlessly falling down all the time while catching the ball.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":152gw725 said:
I doubt much especially if he likes the organization; at least for next year anyway. He may build resentment over other guys getting paid over time. Ultimately, however, he knows he has had multiple ailments and that he isn't what he was when he first signed the contract. The writing was on the wall and if he had any reasonable understanding of the situation - he can't possibly have expected to see that 9 million.

I think Sidney is a smart person who understands the situation. I'm sure he is disappointed in losing a $9 million contract. But he's also smart enough to understand that in no way did he produce to the level of what his salary was the entire time he was a Seahawk. BOTH sides have good reason to be disappointed.

Bottom line--if no one else but the Seahawks want him, I am sure he'll take a "prove it" one year contract on the cheap. Better that than CFL/AFL/OOF.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
One of my favorite catches of his was Chicago in overtime to win. He took one heck of a hit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1be2j6z7 said:
Considering he's a 6'4'' receiver who is only 27, and he averages 14.8 yards a reception, but is getting no interest?

My guess is that knee is probably in bad shape....

I think people are misunderstanding the word "interest."

I'm sure every team in the league wants him to come in on the same no risk veteran minimum kind of deal............he's just choosing to do it here because he loves Seattle and has the best chance of making the team because of our WR situation and established relationship.

kidhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":2iqc3ci7 said:
kidhawk":2iqc3ci7 said:
NorthDallas40oz":2iqc3ci7 said:
Missing_Clink":2iqc3ci7 said:

The Seahawks wanted that, but they didn't want to pay full price for the guy to sit on the bench 6.5 games per year. Plus, the guy injures himself by needlessly falling down all the time while catching the ball.

Yea, it's not like he actually produced over 15 yards per catch while he was here or anything like that.

Obviously the injuries necessitated him being cut as his risk wasn't worth that cap hit, but at a lower non-guaranteed amount, he's definitely a solid option.

Too many people look at his production value for the money he was paid and think he's a bum, but he gave it all when he was on the field and anyone disputing that wasn't paying close attention.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Rice tore his ACL only five months ago. If I had to choose between signing Rice or signing FB Michael Robinson, I would sign Robinson. Robinson was healthy and playing good football in the last couple months of the season.