Someone on another board said the below, what do you think?

Anthony!

Reaction score
So a person on another board in a thread about Maxwell posted the below, what do you guys think?

"Or they could just let RW walk. After all, it's not like we won the Super Bowl because of gawdy offensive numbers led by the QB or because RW was some pro-bowl, MVP quarterback." and then followed it up with

"Everybody in this city should understand ABOVE ALL after watching how we won this year, that this team is built on a league-best DEFENSE. We didn't win because we had some superman QB leading one of the best offenses in the league. We didn't win the SB game because Wilson put the team on his back. Wilson is what he is, a good-decision maker who makes some clutch plays that allows the offense to hold up to its end of the bargain, so to speak. We need to lock up both Sherman and Thomas before we even consider what to pay Wilson.

Simply, I would just be real careful about how "all-in" we go to re-signing a player that really has only helped this team win by making smart decisions, not turning the ball over and being clutch. That's obviously very valuable, but I don't think it is impossible to replace. I think there are a decent amount of QBs out there that can be procured to fill the same role. Especially when the OL is likely to improve.

If we paint ourselves into a corner thinking "RW is our franchise QB" I just think it's going to get real costly, real fast and I'm not talking about just money. I'm talking about the talent this team will have to sacrifice and thus, the titles this team could sacrifice."

And

"Look, I love Russell Wilson as much as the next guy. His leadership, the way he conducts himself off-the-field in our community et al. all top notch! He's the prototype franchise QB.

BUT, he isn't an MVP caliber QB that leads a top-5 offense. He's not that guy. And our team under Carroll and Schneider will never be reliant upon having that guy. We run the ball and play EXCEPTIONAL defense. That's how we win. All we need is a QB that makes the routine plays as Lloyd McClendon would say. A guy that can run the offense, make smart decisions, execute on third down and in the red zone and one that doesn't turn the ball over.

Am I wrong?

Understanding that, in my opinion it would be absolutely absurd to pay RW $20m a season with a cap under $200m. He's simply not worth sacrificing talent in other key areas of the team for. We plucked RW in the 3rd round of a strong QB draft (Luck, Foles, Tannehill, RG3, Cousins). We can do the same this year or next and groom someone to replace him IF NEED BE. "

As I am sure you can imagine I disagreed as did others, showed reasons logic, and facts. But this person and one other do not get it at all

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
I think they are incorrect in assuming that Carroll and Schneider will always run the ball and play exceptional defense. They are playing to their strengths of the players they have and that will be a fluid situation going forward.

What happens if/when Sherman falls off like so many great DBs do? What happens if Earl Thomas goes down with a terrible injury and is not the same? What happens if they miss on some defensive draft picks but hit on some offensive draft picks? What if Christine Michael is a bust and they lack a running game?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The person who wrote that did not watch 38 years of Seahawks QB's. They do not understand what a good QB is. This is the type of person who would blame the QB on a running play. The kind of person who thinks its easy to grab a QB and have him play at a high level. The kind of person who has no ability to understand that RW does exactly what is asked of him and does it like the leader of a beautiful symphony. This is the type of person who believes that the QB must throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs every game to even be considered good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think that person is an idiot. Not just a normal run of the mill idiot, but a very special idiot. He's like the Muhammad Ali of idiots, the Mother Theresa of idiots, the Albert Einstein of idiots.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Some of that guy's points are accurate, but the conclusion he draws is not. He completely underestimates the leadership/clutch/intelligence angle and seems to fall into the same trap that Prisco and others do regarding Wilson... that just because Wilson isn't throwing 600 times a season, he must not be as crucial a piece to the team's success. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Wilson is a franchise, $20M a year QB for a Pete Carroll team. He excels at exactly the things that Carroll wants out of his QB. And he does this with only 2 seasons under his belt. Imagine the flexibility we'll have the more experience Wilson gets and the more he learns. He already has all the things that can't be taught/coached.

davidonmi

Reaction score
maybe he wasn't last year. But he's only just finished his second year. We are likely going to getting a better Russell Wilson going forward as he matures with age. Saying we should let a SB winning 2 time pro bowl QB walk after 2 years is crazy. If Colbert and Belicheck thought like you guys do Brady and Roethlisberger would not still be on their respective teams because they didn’t carry their teams early in their careers.
Just my two cents. We’ve been searching for a QB for a long time, I don’t really want to go through that again.
And if we had say picked up Carson Palmer, or anyone from this draft, we may win 11 games, but we sure as hell aren’t winning the SB.
But again people think the russell wilson we had last year is the same russell wilson we'll have going forward, let him grow. Even at this point in his career I wouldn't let him walk

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To be more specific, the defense shouldered a lot of the load in the playoffs; however, it seems people have amnesia regarding the regular season when Russell Wilson was a legitimate MVP candidate through Week 13. Where would we have been without Wilson? Do people remember that our entire O-Line was decimated for almost the whole season? Do they remember how many close games we could've (should've) lost without a clutch QB? Do they remember his electrifying performances on TNF and MNF?

It's really annoying how some sports fans and writers seem wholly incapable of evaluating a player beyond what they saw in a couple recent games. Considering our O-line issues, we don't even make the playoffs without Wilson and that's with the best defense we're likely ever going to field.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
Anthony!":5pyaybbx said:
Simply, I would just be real careful about how "all-in" we go to re-signing a player that really has only helped this team win by making smart decisions, not turning the ball over and being clutch.
This has to be a troll statement right? If finding someone who could do those things was that easy, every team would have one...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seattle has been looking for a franchise QB for years. Then they finally get one and the Seattle fans want to let him walk away.

Sac

Reaction score
If they key Wilson walk, the 12 will abandon the Hawks, the city will burn and LA will finally get another football team.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
HawkFan72":15bikmi3 said:
Seattle has been looking for a franchise QB for years. Then they finally get one and the Seattle fans want to let him walk away.
This.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cq26qct said:
I think that person is an idiot. Not just a normal run of the mill idiot, but a very special idiot. He's like the Muhammad Ali of idiots, the Mother Theresa of idiots, the Albert Einstein of idiots.

Totes Mcgotes

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The biggest flaw in the logic is thinking that he won't continue to improve. He isn't the type of QB people will apply the "MVP Passer" label to, but he's also in his 2nd year. Give him another year or two with some decent receivers and he very well could be at that point.

Funny how being successful so quickly has led to so many nay-sayers. If he doesn't win that SB, he's "right where he should be." But now that he has a ring, it's not because of him since he didn't throw for 300 yards a game.

jblaze

Reaction score
Clearly taking Wilson for granted. Try a year or two without him and see how it goes, oh wait.....

Every team in the NFL would love the problem of having to pay a franchise QB and fit in the rest of the pieces. You rarely win without a proven franchise QB, that's why you pay so much for them, they're irreplaceable.

First world problems in my opinion.