DeSean Jackson thread (stay on topic please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kearly

Reaction score
Guys, listen up.

If you've been to .net for even a little while now you know that we have a bit of a one thread moderating policy for Seahawks news. All Seahawks news on a topic goes to 1 thread. That means, if commenters comment in a non-controlled manner, these threads quickly balloon to 10+ pages of mostly crap. Nobody likes reading through 10 pages of crap to find a couple of interesting news tidbits. That's lame. Let's not do that. Please only comment here if it is specifically regarding DeSean Jackson. If you have a random argument about random bullshit, please find a place to do it in a non-news thread, or in a PM to that person. Thank you.

On topic: Seahawks inquired about DeSean Jackson, per Danny Kelly.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-offseason ... -49ers-nfl

It sounds like SF might be interested too. If a trade does not happen, Jackson could be released and become a (relative) bargain FA acquisition. Even if traded for, most of Jackson's money is not guaranteed so he would likely be willing to restructure.

If Seattle loses out on Jared Allen, I would not call DeSean Jackson a pipe dream. This is definitely a situation worth monitoring, especially if the Eagles end up releasing him.

Update: Looks like restructure is likely off the table for now (per Rotoworld)

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports DeSean Jackson is unwilling to restructure his $10.5 million salary to expedite a trade, and may ultimately be released by the Eagles.

"Philly is trading him or cutting him. That's a fact," a source told Mehta. "They don't want him." Cutting Jackson would save $6.5 million against the 2014 cap, and perhaps more importantly, shave roughly $11 million off Philly's 2015 salary cap commitments. The Eagles would obviously much rather trade Jackson, but his unwillingness to restructure and the Eagles' intent to cut him make a trade increasingly unlikely. The Jets and Panthers would lead the chase if/when Jackson is released. San Francisco and Seattle are also reportedly interested.

Here's the tweet from Manish Mehta.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DSJ = 5'10''
ADB = 5'10''
PH = 5'11''

6'1'' Kearse and 6'2'' Lockette don't have much of a hope to get significant time behind that lineup. That CFL guy is a longshot and a half to make the final 53.

RW = 5'11'' and struggled visibly with our starting big WR gone.

How do you project RW will do with a midget WR corps and big TE's that don't figure heavily in our offensive statistics?

sc85sis

Reaction score
For me there are several "ifs" to this situation. If he is released by Philly; if we can sign him without killing the cap (and without making it harder to keep our core guys); if Pete feels Desean can fit in with our current guys personality-wise; and if Pete is confident Desean can be a team player, then getting him is a no brainer. I'm just not certain we can check all those boxes.

Glad I don't have to figure it out!

Edit to add: Lady Talon also brings up a good point about the height of our receivers.

Lithium

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2tm36598 said:
DSJ = 5'10''
ADB = 5'10''
PH = 5'11''

6'1'' Kearse and 6'2'' Lockette don't have much of a hope to get significant time behind that lineup. That CFL guy is a longshot and a half to make the final 53.

How do you project RW will do with a midget WR corps and big TE's that don't figure heavily in our offensive statistics?

Golden is only 5'11" and we did just fine, we even won the super bowl. So to quote Jon Gruden, "your talking about that much" the difference between Tate and Jackson is "that much".

that said, I dont want Jackson on this team.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Has a reputation for being a diva. That's the biggest question. If Philly is willing to release him and does so, that has to be strongly looked at and considered. No questioning his talent.

Laloosh

Reaction score
How likely are we to get a WR like that in free agency given our run heavy play calling? Kid is amazing but I don't see how we become "the winner" with teams like Oakland looking to spend the better part of $60,000,000 in cap space.

Am I crazy?

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
If they cut him and we can sign him to a reasonable deal it would be worth it. Then draft Brandin Cooks for the fastest, shortest WR group in NFL History.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Updated the OP. Sounds an awful lot like Jackson could get released. Things could get very interesting.

If we do end up with Jackson, I would hope Pete would have the foresight to upscale our pass attempts. Hard to see Harvin and Jackson coexisting if Wilson still only throws 25 passes a game.

I bet Pete LOVES this guy btw. Just like Harvin. Tried to get him to USC, failed. Had to face Jackson at Cal, just like Lynch.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I just don't see us actually landing him there are too many teams with serious capspace, more receiver friendly offenses, and need at the position. I don't worry about him fitting in Pete's a guru at that. I really think we're in it to drive the price up for San Francisco more than actually acquiring him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":2mykksnp said:
Updated the OP. Sounds an awful lot like Jackson could get released. Things could get very interesting.

If we do end up with Jackson, I would hope Pete would have the foresight to upscale our pass attempts. Hard to see Harvin and Jackson coexisting if Wilson still only throws 25 passes a game.

I bet Pete LOVES this guy btw. Just like Harvin. Tried to get him to USC, failed. Had to face Jackson at Cal, just like Lynch.

Even if he were released, hard to imagine the Hawks getting into a bidding war for him. If they signed him to a big deal it may be at the cost of Sherman.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
GoldenIsThyTate":20v34vdr said:
Lady Talon":20v34vdr said:
DSJ = 5'10''
ADB = 5'10''
PH = 5'11''

Golden is only 5'11" and we did just fine, we even won the super bowl. So to quote Jon Gruden, "your talking about that much" the difference between Tate and Jackson is "that much".

We did well enough with a historic defense and great field position that could help the offense a lot. Otherwise RW hung on to the ball too long and absorbed too many hits, and not all of that can be blamed on our OL.

He'd be the first diminutive QB in the past 2 decades to run primary receiving targets as short is he is or shorter, without heavily targeted pass catching TE's. Vick, Brees (both in SD and NO), Flutie, Joe Thiesmann, etc.

Do we really want RW to be the guinea pig after the abuse he took last year?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2o80ewc5 said:
kearly":2o80ewc5 said:

Even if he were released, hard to imagine the Hawks getting into a bidding war for him. If they signed him to a big deal it may be at the cost of Sherman.
There's no risk of that happening. Regardless of whether they signed Jackson, the Hawks will find a way to keep Sherman, easily. The Hawks' future cap situation is in great shape, it's easy to create more space, and there's no way they let Sherm walk just because they'd have money tied to Jackson or anyone else. No chance.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2y11ekqd said:
GoldenIsThyTate":2y11ekqd said:
Lady Talon":2y11ekqd said:
DSJ = 5'10''
ADB = 5'10''
PH = 5'11''

We did well enough with a historic defense and great field position that could help the offense a lot. Otherwise RW hung on to the ball too long and absorbed too many hits, and not all of that can be blamed on our OL.

He'd be the first diminutive QB in the past 2 decades to run primary receiving targets as short is he is or shorter, without heavily targeted pass catching TE's. Vick, Brees (both in SD and NO), Flutie, Joe Thiesmann, etc.

Gauging wideouts by their height alone is an incredibly limited analysis. The ability to create separation, run routes, and dominate is NOT predicated upon wideout height, but wideout ability. Players like Harvin and Jackson (and Steve Largent) are effective because they possess other qualities beyond height that make them so. I'm kind of surprised that, given all the height obsession around RW and how little it has mattered, we're doing it with wideouts now, despite a long tradition of extremely successful shorter wideouts.

The other part of Russell holding the ball too long is Russell. He's a great QB and will continue to improve, but he himself would probably admit that he needs to make quicker decisions with tight-window throws.

All of that said, I would much rather they not trade for Jackson unless it is too good to pass up. I would worry that Jackson's contract would hamper our ability to keep Sherman or Thomas.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1a89zdrn said:
Not worth what he wants not even worth half.
I'd offer him 2 years, 12 Mil if he gets cut. Our cap situation is fine going forward with the cap rumored to be at 150 Mil next year. We could actually get Allen and DeSean and still be fine.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1846mlc1 said:

The market for WRs has been weak this year, FAs have been undermined by a stellar draft alternative. Right now you could probably get Jackson for a day three pick if you were okay with paying $10 million a season, but nobody is going for it, so it's safe to assume that his final asking price will be significantly less than $10 million per year.

There also isn't a lot of money left to spend, at least among the good teams. I wouldn't be shocked at all if a UFA Jackson signs for close to $8 million per year. Seattle can afford that, if they don't end up with Allen. At the very least, they will be involved to make sure SF doesn't get Jackson on a bargain deal.

That's a lot of money to put into WR, but with Jackson and Harvin both on the field you will see teams stack the box a lot less, blitz less, and generally play softer to take away the big play, allowing guys like Kearse and Baldwin to make killing like they did in the SB. Makes a ton of sense that Seattle would be interested, especially since Jackson is another big fish that got away for Pete.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I like what Desean Jackson can do as a player but he is a team cancer Seattle does'nt need the opposite of Jared Allen. I think if Jackson has alot of TO in him in the bad way.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
jkitsune":1zs42xvg said:
Lady Talon":1zs42xvg said:
GoldenIsThyTate":1zs42xvg said:
Lady Talon":1zs42xvg said:
DSJ = 5'10''
ADB = 5'10''
PH = 5'11''

Gauging wideouts by their height alone is an incredibly limited analysis. The ability to create separation, run routes, and dominate is NOT predicated upon wideout height, but wideout ability. Players like Harvin and Jackson (and Steve Largent) are effective because they possess other qualities beyond height that make them so. I'm kind of surprised that, given all the height obsession around RW and how little it has mattered, we're doing it with wideouts now, despite a long tradition of extremely successful shorter wideouts.

The other part of Russell holding the ball too long is Russell. He's a great QB and will continue to improve, but he himself would probably admit that he needs to make quicker decisions with tight-window throws.

All of that said, I would much rather they not trade for Jackson unless it is too good to pass up. I would worry that Jackson's contract would hamper our ability to keep Sherman or Thomas.

I'm not gauging WRs by their height alone, I am gauging their height along with our QBs height and issues while comparing his plight to similar successful QBs of his stature. RW's height isn't anymore of an issue than Drew Brees' is, yet Brees' teams provided him with at least one tall outside WR in Colston, or heavily featured TE's like Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates in their passing attack. Flutie had two 6'2'' WRs, and two pretty productive tall TEs.

Why would we sink a large part of the cap into a WR corps to not give him an outside mismatch that can win short to intermediate contested jump balls when pass pro breaks down? He'll eat that sack or my favorite, run backwards 10 yards and take it anyway. No other team has handcuffed a shorter QB in this manner lol.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I really don't get the "Seattle is a wasteland desert for wide receivers" angle so many seem bent on pushing. Wilson may not have 5,000 plus passing yards, but he's deadly accurate, and nobody but Hall of Famer Dan Marino threw more touchdown passes his first two seasons in the league. With marquee receivers, it's quite possible Wilson is at the top of all quarterback metrics next year, including that oh-so-vaunted-but-gives-you-no-points stat, passing yards.

Catching passes from a chump that should probably be in a backup role is bad for a receiver, not catching passes from an already elite Russell Wilson. If Jackson comes here, you can bet it'll be for a modestly reasonable deal, and you can bet our passing game will be miles ahead of last year's. It will be even without him, I'd bet.

hawk45

Reaction score
Pete adapts to talent way better than Holmie even did. If we landed Jackson we'd be airing it out and Lynch would face empty boxes and get his hundred yards in 5 carries. Russell would be sick with those kinds of weapons the way he protects the ball and reads single coverage to put it right where his guy has a chance and leaves the DB in the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.