Return of the Smurfs?

cberg

Reaction score
Remember the Run and Shoot offense from the 80's that was run to perfection by the Houston Oilers with Warren Moon and his 3 diminutive WR's Haywood Jeffires, Drew Hill, Ernest Givins?

That is what I think of when I read all the DeSean Jackson to Seattle rumors. Russell Wilson throwing to Percy Harvin, DeSean Jackson, and Doug Baldwin.

With our Defense combined with a wide open offense adding in Christine Michael...wow.

McGruff

Reaction score
Clayton and Duper, man. Clayton and Duper.

Pete and john are reinventig football by turning he clock back 30 years.

Genius.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
cberg":3edg41rt said:
Remember the Run and Shoot offense from the 80's that was run to perfection by the Houston Oilers with Warren Moon and his 3 diminutive WR's Haywood Jeffires, Drew Hill, Ernest Givins?
Haywood Jeffires was 6'-2". "The Smurfs" were a trio Washington Redskins which consisted of Gary Clark, Alvin Garrett, and Charlie Brown. Garrett was 5'7”, Clark was 5'9”, and Brown was 5'10”.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
That'd be a nightmare with a 5'11'' QB. Even if the OL improved he'd dance so much in the backfield struggling to see over DL that he'd still be the most sacked and hit QB in the league.

Our TE's are blockers so I won't buy them contributing. That didn't too much with Rice out and RW visibly struggling with midgets as primary targets.

Need a 6'3''+ WR that has a reasonable chance of starting so he can throw up jump balls when he's in trouble. That pretty much means a high draft pick instead of roster fodder CFL types.

drdiags

Reaction score
Had forgot about the fact that "The Smurfs" were also part of the "Fun Bunch", which is the group I remembered from their endzone high five routine. If Wikipedia is to be trusted, now I have some details to refresh my memory

Known for their choreographed group celebrations in the end zone (usually a group high-five) following a touchdown, the Fun Bunch's actions eventually resulted in a league-wide ban of "excessive celebration" in 1984.

The members of the Fun Bunch included the Redskins' wide receivers Art Monk, Virgil Seay, Charlie Brown, and Alvin Garrett, and tight ends Rick Walker, and Don Warren. Each won a Super Bowl with the Redskins, and three were chosen for the Pro Bowl. Art Monk was recently inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The first high-five leap performed by the Fun Bunch occurred after an Alvin Garrett touchdown in a 1982 first round playoff game against the Detroit Lions.
In the Fun Bunch, there was a sub-group nicknamed the Smurfs. The Smurfs consisted of Virgil Seay, Alvin Garrett, and Charlie Brown. The three were given the nickname because of their diminutive size (Garrett was 5'7”, Seay known as Papa Smurf was 5'8", and Brown the tallest at 5'10”), comparing them to the tiny blue comic and cartoon characters in The Smurfs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fun_Bunch

BASF

Reaction score
cberg":32r5ru8n said:

They were the original Greatest Show On Turf.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Lady Talon":ptqqdv01 said:
That'd be a nightmare with a 5'11'' QB. Even if the OL improved he'd dance so much in the backfield struggling to see over DL that he'd still be the most sacked and hit QB in the league.

Our TE's are blockers so I won't buy them contributing. That didn't too much with Rice out and RW visibly struggling with midgets as primary targets.

Need a 6'3''+ WR that has a reasonable chance of starting so he can throw up jump balls when he's in trouble. That pretty much means a high draft pick instead of roster fodder CFL types.

Really? the guy with the 2nd best QB rating of all time, 3rd most TD's in frist two years, 2nd most comeback in wins in last 2 years, most wins in first two years, etc. etc.

can we knock this off already?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Smellyman":122o04ac said:
Lady Talon":122o04ac said:

Really? the guy with the 2nd best QB rating of all time, 3rd most TD's in frist two years, 2nd most comeback in wins in last 2 years, most wins in first two years, etc. etc.

can we knock this off already?

You think I'm knocking RW? Far from it, I'd rather not give him a 5'10'' WR that was hit in stride, mostly from clean pockets, while Foles overwhelmingly hit Cooper and his TE's when he was under pressure and scrambling. Tate could at least make contested grabs, jump balls, and execute scramble drills in spite of his size and speed limitations.

Given that RW is under pressure and scrambling just a little more then Foles had to endure, this seems rather important to me. Might as well take one of the Donkey's soft WRs. If we don't saddle ourselves with a $10m pretty boy WR, then we might as well get one that RW can find in a hurry with a 6'5'' DL in his face and trust with contested jump balls. You know, one that actually helps solve a couple of the problems he sees on the field.