NFL Teams Chasing the LOB

ivotuk

Reaction score
Patriots, Saints among those chasing Seahawks' Legion of Boom

Charlie Casserly:

"No one can top Seattle's rare collection of talent
I don't think any team can rival Seattle's secondary, which has a rare mix of talent at the safety and corner positions. New England has made the most progress, thanks to the additions of Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner. When you have two good corners, it opens up a lot of possibilities with your coverages and pressure packages. That said, New England doesn't have the safeties to compare with Seattle's."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... on-of-boom

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sure, I mean what team wouldn't want to have the best Cornerback, Free Safety and Strong Safety in the league all playing on their team at once?

Has there ever been another team in league history in which you could argue that such was true? The Hawks just have a previously unseen collection of talent back there right now.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The safeties (Thomas and Chancellor) are the heart and soul of this defense. Thomas is the defensive QB. And Chancellor is the BOOM in legion of boom.

It's great to have lockdown corners, especially against Peyton Manning, but you also need a ferocious defensive front (like Avril, Bennett, Mebane, and McDaniel) to take advantage of the tight converge.

New England's safeties and pass rush are still subpar.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1efbtv1m said:
We knew this would happen.

Feels nice to be the team that everyone else wants to be.

Feels even nicer, that according to that article at least, none of them have managed it ;)

sutz

Reaction score
Arguably, the safeties are more important. Having ET back there allows a lot more freedom up front to use press coverage, because he has the speed to recover if the CB coverage breaks down. Not many RBs or WRs can outrun ET if he has any angle at all on htem.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I believe it's Pete's genius that has been instrumental in formulating this first of it's kind Secondary.
It has taken time for these guys to come together as the intelligent, and cohesive unit we all see swarming the secondary, it didn't happen overnight, and it won't be instantly replicated either.
I wonder if Lawyer Milloy (sp.) didn't inspire Pete to undertake this experiment, as I really don't recall Pete doing, or even atempting this while Coaching in College, or the two other stints in the NFL, thoughts?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
scutterhawk":23ykh2l4 said:
I believe it's Pete's genius that has been instrumental in formulating this first of it's kind Secondary.
It has taken time for these guys to come together as the intelligent, and cohesive unit we all see swarming the secondary, it didn't happen overnight, and it won't be instantly replicated either.
I wonder if Lawyer Milloy (sp.) didn't inspire Pete to undertake this experiment, as I really don't recall Pete doing this while Coaching in UCLA, thoughts?

I don't even remember Pete coaching at UCLA. ;)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":nviuigkz said:
scutterhawk":nviuigkz said:
I wonder if Lawyer Milloy (sp.) didn't inspire Pete to undertake this experiment, as I really don't recall Pete doing this while Coaching in UCLA, thoughts?

I don't even remember Pete coaching at UCLA. ;)
You'll notice I caught myself on that, and edited to correct :p

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete has always gone for big corners and fast free safeties. Polamalu was a USC Safety. It's not new, Pete just has never had the luxury of a John Schneider finding these gems for him.

I have a mantra about the success of the players on this team though, many of them would never have succeeded to the level they have without Pete's mentoring. Chris Clemons is a prime example. Without PC and JS intervention, Clemons might be out of the league by now without ever seeing a decent payday.

HansGruber

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2si8zwal said:
I wonder if Lawyer Milloy (sp.) didn't inspire Pete to undertake this experiment, as I really don't recall Pete doing, or even atempting this while Coaching in College, or the two other stints in the NFL, thoughts?

never mind...

HansGruber

Reaction score
ivotuk":21gkszxp said:
Pete has always gone for big corners and fast free safeties. Polamalu was a USC Safety. It's not new, Pete just has never had the luxury of a John Schneider finding these gems for him.

I have a mantra about the success of the players on this team though, many of them would never have succeeded to the level they have without Pete's mentoring. Chris Clemons is a prime example. Without PC and JS intervention, Clemons might be out of the league by now without ever seeing a decent payday.

Agreed. I don't think any single member of the LOB would have the same success on another team. They all excel to unreal levels because of the combination of talents, the way Pete glued it all together so that each player's weaknesses are offset by another player's strengths, and each player's strengths are magnified by the scheme.

Thomas and Sherman both understand that and have stated it in interviews. I heard Thomas mention it a few times at the Superbowl. Hopefully they remember that when it comes to signing their next deals, and they stay in Seattle at a price that keeps us competitive. I'm not saying they should stay cheap, but hopefully they understand that accepting a reasonable/fair contract and staying in Seattle greatly improves their shot at the HOF.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
The players have also mentioned frequently in the past, the techniques that PC and Coach Richard teaches. I believe Richard touched on it in an interview about how much they emphasize it.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
The Seahawks coaches drill techniques hard, so it wasn't a surprise to see Sherman and Thomas named to USA Football's All-Fundamental team this week. Playing with sound fundamentals explains how the Seahawks' big corners aren't beaten often by quicker receivers.

"Ultimately it comes down to technique," Richard said. "You don't know where the wide receiver is going, but if you put yourself in position, you give yourself a chance to be successful. And you also can neutralize quickness with strength."

byau

Reaction score
One thing about technique: it's this "positional" system that the Hawks are also employing.

Whenever Richard Sherman gets into beefs about being the best cornerback, have you noticed the biggest argument against Sherman is that he doesn't always pick up the best receiver, he picks up only his side.

If you ask me, that's a strength. What PC/JS and the coordinators are developing is a system. When you can focus on one task, in this case Sherman focuses on covering one side, then everyone is more familiar with where their teammates are and the possibilities of jumping coverages and what not.

This is a STRENGTH.

One of the simplest games to understand is baseball. And when fielding, Iin baseball, every position on the field has a place they need to be on every play. Depending on how many people on base, what base, how many outs, and how and where the ball is hit, each fielder runs to a specific direction. You don't see the best outfielder moving from left field to right field to center depending on who's at bat.

The more you play a position, the more familiar you are, the better you get at that position.

Go Hawks :D

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Will browner get to play this year? If so how many games will he be able to contribute?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Buc's tried this last year when they had Goldson, Barron, Revis, and drafted Banks early. Too bad Schiano sucked and they didn't see anything close to it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HawaiiD":l5ylqevr said:
Will browner get to play this year? If so how many games will he be able to contribute?

He has to sit out the first 4 games. So if he stays healthy, he will contribute in 12 games plus preseason.