Am I The Only One Advocating Luke Willson to WR?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What do we know?

He's 6'5, 250 pounds runs a 4.51 Forty, extremely athletic plus solid hands, solid blocking ability (from a TE standpoint) with room to improve in both skillsets. Is versatile enough get looks at FB and occasionally line up in the slot position ala Joker TE/H-Back.

Now could you imagine him as a 6'5, 235 WR who possibly could top out at 4.45, have okay hands for the position (which can be improved on) but he'd have superb blocking ability for the position which easily could be improved to elite status.

Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse (all interchangable) plus Willson and Lockette is a strong unit.

Miller, McCoy + possibly Finley vs Beckum vs Helfet vs Draft Pick would round out a solid TE group.

And if needed Willson depending on how much strength he adds over this off-season could still line up in-line at TE on occasion.

Especially if the Seahawks can sign Finley (assuming he's medically cleared)... Seahawks wouldn't need to draft a WR or TE and can use thier top picks on quality lineman whether Offensive or Defensive.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Why do we do this every offseason? Let's convert x player to y position! When does that happen with success in the nfl? Konz? If he were a WR, they'd have done it already. Why the heck would they have him drop weight and start that now?

He is coming along well as a universal blocking and receiving TE. And could be the starter over miller next season. He could be very dynamic at the TE position. We will obviously split him out, but full time conversion to WR makes little sense IMO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting idea which sure gives pause for thought. Rather clearly with his background at TE he'd be a solid blocker as a WR as well and never a liability in the running game. As well Pn'J seem to be able to recognize how to use a player at their highest and best position. There are also some pretty interesting WRs that may be available in the 4th rd. or even later.

godawg

Reaction score
Pandion, I mentioned idea some time ago and figured I couldn't be the only one thinking along those lines. Why not?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Position change would not be unprecedented in the PC era:

Bruce - DE to LB(sorta)
Sweezy- DT to OG
Is Jared Smith still around?
Russell Wilson- QB to Deity

HawkStar22

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2g0ertz7 said:
Position change would not be unprecedented in the PC era:

Bruce - DE to LB(sorta)
Sweezy- DT to OG
Is Jared Smith still around?
Russell Wilson- QB to Deity

Red Bryant - DT to DE

Lady Talon

Reaction score
He'd have to drop 20-30 lbs to contribute significantly on the outside without frequent breathers, then you lose the value his size and speed create in mismatches on the interior defense. Might as well be a rookie learning a new route tree and frequent scramble drills with RW running for his life in the backfield as well. Just my .02.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't think he's fluid enough to do what receivers do, just my very untrained eye opinion.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Throwdown":26hn9j9p said:
I don't think he's fluid enough to do what receivers do, just my very untrained eye opinion.

Beat me to it. He's got straight line speed off of a free release, but how is he against the jam? How is he getting in and out of his breaks?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
as long as you're willing to pay him as a WR, good idea....

dot dot dot.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
I don't think he means necessarily changing his full time position from TE to WR but more so lining him up out wide and in the slot like J. Graham and V. Davis often do making him more of a hybrid type who can create mismatches with his big body and speed. Same goes with Finley (assuming he signs). Just adds another dimension to our offense that has to be accounted for and I would imagine would be difficult to defend considering our other offensive personnel.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
Hawknballs":5edl2r9t said:
as long as you're willing to pay him as a WR, good idea....

dot dot dot.

So your automatically assuming Willson is gonna produce like J. Graham and turn in to the best receiving TE/WR in the league? That's the only way he could ever command "WR" money and that will never happen in this offense. Lol

dot dot dot

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I would play one more year where he's playing now, but I'd like to see them using him more as a threat as a receiver in the red-zone and goaline, so play him outside on occasion. Start with his ability as a red-zone threat and if he can win in 1-on-1, only then I'd think about switching him to a receiver full-tiime. Other-wise, he's solid at what he's doing now opposite miller.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Luke at WR? I think his brother Owen is the better athlete but ok give him a shot.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Because we are a run first team that utilizes two TE sets often. Moreover, nothing is stopping us from splitting him out as an inside receiver on obvious passing downs but limiting his ability to be an inline blocker would ruin some versatility. Lastly, losing 15 pounds on his frame won't necessarily make him faster.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Jimmah in N.O. played a majority of his snaps split out wide last year--not that Luke is a Jimmah-athlete.

Point being: I don't see a reason that the distinction is so important. Play the dude where he'll succeed most in a given play call. If it's in-line, great. If he's split out from the LOS, great. It doesn't make a difference what we call him, does it?

kobebryant

Reaction score
I don't think he could separate from the quality athletes that play cb in the NFL.

As a tighend his strength is that he is an athleticism, height and speed mismatch for lbers (see vs Willis @ SF) . Putting him at WR would neutralize his strengths.