Vance Walker visits the Hawks Sun

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It appears we are somewhat determined to sign a veteran three technique with upside as a pass rusher.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
A poor man's McDonald?

McDonald, the guy who was at the bottom of our depth chart and was cut in the 53 man cutdown last year?

Poorer than that?

Up until last year McDonald was a poor man's someone else.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Have to have somebody to fill the role in the rotation left by Clint's departure and Walker seems to fit the profile. I expect to see them churn through a combination of vets, rookies and existing depth guys (ie. Jordan Hill, Michael Brooks, D'Anthony Smith) during camp looking to see who rises to the top. Probably see a couple guys signed to near vet minimums to come in and comPETE.

I love the way they approach this. I really liked Clint and will miss him, but I'm kinda geeked to see who rises up from the grind next.

lukerguy

Reaction score
McDonald was released earlier this year and no one claimed him. I think McDonald is the poor mans walker...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks are also looking at Henry Melton, who was out last year with a torn ACL. But was a very good 3 technique DT prior.

He could be another Bennett type one year for 3-5M signing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mvihyok said:
Hawks are also looking at Henry Melton, who was out last year with a torn ACL. But was a very good 3 technique DT prior.

not knowing much about either, would gettng both be realistic (for the spaces we need to fill)? or is this a one or the other deal?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":32u80k6l said:
Sgt. Largent":32u80k6l said:

not knowing much about either, would gettng both be realistic (for the spaces we need to fill)? or is this a one or the other deal?

No, I think it's one or the other. Don't forget, we have both Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams coming back next year. I think Pete and John are just looking for another dynamic pass rushing DT that can jump into the rotation.

chihawk

Reaction score
Don't know much about him, but seems like it could be a good fit. Good run stopping DT that can get some pressure on the QB. He's only 26 and seems to have been improving over his career after being drafted in the 7th round....that sounds like Seahawks material. He's played on back-to-back 1-year contracts (first with Falcons and then with Raiders).

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like the idea of signing Melton, then PUP him while we see what we have with the younger DL.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Largent80":1j11i280 said:
Hmmm...that link said he was signed by KC, then that was recanted saying still a FA.

Looks like he's going to KC.

The Chiefs, who suffered some personnel losses early in free agency, have added a defensive lineman from a division rival.

The club said Friday night it had reached a deal with Raiders defensive tackle Vance Walker. Terms were not disclosed, but ESPN’s Josina Anderson reports the contract is for three years and worth up to $13 million, with $3.75 million in guarantees.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ce-walker/

Gametime

Reaction score
mikeak":2ibyc9gr said:
Is a poor man's McDonald Jack in the Box?

I think you are thinking of a stoned man's McDonald is Jack in the Box.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2m7q53n0 said:
Largent80":2m7q53n0 said:
Hmmm...that link said he was signed by KC, then that was recanted saying still a FA.

Looks like he's going to KC.

The Chiefs, who suffered some personnel losses early in free agency, have added a defensive lineman from a division rival.

The club said Friday night it had reached a deal with Raiders defensive tackle Vance Walker. Terms were not disclosed, but ESPN’s Josina Anderson reports the contract is for three years and worth up to $13 million, with $3.75 million in guarantees.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ce-walker/
Correct.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
lukerguy":17qgmcay said:
McDonald was released earlier this year and no one claimed him. I think McDonald is the poor mans walker...

Since McDonald was cut by two teams last year, it could be said that he was just a poor man. He's now a much less poor man.