Poll: Do you think Seattle retains Golden Tate?

Will Golden Tate sign back with Seattle in free agency?

• Yes- He will remain a Seahawk.

Votes: 105 69.1%
  • No- He will sign elsewhere.

Votes: 47 30.9%

• Total voters

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I'll go with ADB and a FA or draft Rice replacement. Sorry Tate love your YAC, but RW really needs open receivers something fierce.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I always thought if Tate hit the open market, he was as good as gone. Still feel that way.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I have to go with Baldwin and a draft pick of a big receiver. Even though I still hope we find a way to keep him. It just doesn't seem likely.

gargantual

Reaction score
I agree with the people saying that it will come down to losing either him or Dougie. In my opinion, DB's skill-set is more replaceable. Even though he is more "clutch" than Golden, and much more effective getting open, GT's not just Percy-Lite (and GT plays a completely different position than Percy, something a lot of people usually gloss over). His level of ability for YAC (ranked super-high in all the league, last I remember it was even first place) is unique and very difficult to replace, and something I think PC won't want to lose, period.

Makes me a teeny bit nauseous to say it because I love DB and don't want to lose him, but a slot receiver is easier to replace. I think he's capable of doing a whole lot more, but he hasn't been tasked to fill more than that role, so in the end Pete will side with keeping GT.

davidonmi

Reaction score
voted no on Bennett, I feel optimistic on this one.
I just question what kind of market tate will have

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Everything Tate does well is something Seattle values more than most teams. There isn't going to be a long line to sign a #2 WR to $6 million a year with the draft being what it is in 2014. That plus some team would have to blow Seattle away with their offer given Tate's discount comments, and I think Seattle will probably be willing to go as far as $5 million a year.

When was the last time PC/JS lost an in-house free agent they considered a priority? For them, letting a FA test the market does not mean the same thing it would mean for most other front offices. The implicit relationships they've built are so strong that it's like every Seahawks free agent comes with an invisible (and cost-free) transition tag. The kind that will never in a million years get poison pilled.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Teams that would value Tate, IMO.
Dallas.
Carolina.
Steelers.
Pats. Maybe. They need a vet, but I'm not sure Tate fits them as good as Baldwin and his quicks in the slot.
Jets.
KC.
Jax.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think we find away to keep him. He is a good receiver and a good effort guy on offense and special teams. He is also a guy that will dissect hours of tape with our QB when he could be out at the clubs.

grizbob

Reaction score
Voted yes, but honestly have no clue and have no desire to appear smarter than I am by making a prediction :mrgreen:

theascension

Reaction score
Absolutely no question. He was the 2nd best punt returner last year (and the other.. dexter mccluster probably faced worse special teams in the AFC). Punt returning is difficult and Pete knows how important special teams play is. He can be a bit immature (hand taunt in Rams game) but he's a fighter and very important to Seattle.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Voted yes as I always do....guess that is just my optimism but I always feel like this FO can keep anybody they want and are one of the best at the game. I agree w/ the sentiments above that he is exactly the type of tough/squirly/yac/possession guy PC likes plus his solid/consistant punt returns is a bonus. I do not think they will break the bank for him but I don't think they will have to.

While I love the passion/anger that DB brings, I think GT has slightly more value to this team because of his toughness and ability to break tackles. The guy takes unbelievable hits and always just bounces right back up. He is the football equivalent of Bruce Willis in "Unbreakable" or the Beastmode of WR's.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
kearly":189nkpje said:
I think Seattle will probably be willing to go as far as $5 million a year.

I was speculating the same thing last night while discussing this with my wife. I said if I were John Schneider I'd offer up 5-years, $25 M, with about 15-18 guaranteed, and use bonuses in that creative way they do for optimal cap-friendliness.

Those of you who follow and understand NFL salaries better, does that sound likely? Plausible?

sutz

Reaction score
I always tend to vote with my heart on these polls, so Yeah, he stays. :pray:

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I truly do not know or even think what might happen with any of these players. But one thing we have to remember is that we have no clue who JS and PC might have targeted in free agency, the draft and even players they might think won't be drafted. It appears that they have a special pipeline to talent that others do not.

But one thing I do know is that any player brought in will be up to a level where they can compete to make the position better.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think the WR will be so soft and that he comes back slightly unhappy about his deal. But I hope signing him long term doesn't mean we lose Doug next year. I value Doug's ability to separate on his route and get open more than Tate's YAC.