Anyone remember Anthony McCoy?

RockHawk

Reaction score
So being known as the uber-Seahawks fan at my office allows me the "benefit" of everyone asking me about basically everything that happens. This has been no different in the offseason, and when asked about the likely release of Zach Miller, they want to know if we would try to resign him for less money or sign another FA to take his place.

It got me thinking that nobody is talking about Anthony McCoy. In 2012/13 the guy started playing good football as the 2nd TE, and was in the plans to do so until a knee injury knocked him out well before the season even started.

So do we feel the fanbase is forgetting about, or discounting McCoy's role in 2014 or is it just a belief that he and Luke Willson are both secondary TE's and we need a better player to replace Miller?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
McCoy's a free agent now, so I'm not sure we'll resign him. He was drafted in 2010, his 4 year contract is up. So he may or may not be part of the plans, I would suspect they would let him test free agency and if there's minimal movement they try to bring him back assuming his achiles is all better.

I doubt he'll be back. I think they'll restructure Miller and draft another TE in this upcoming draft. WIllson was good a as rookie and will only improve.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think there is a bit of both going on. I was looking forward to seeing improvement in McCoy this year because I could see the writing on the wall with Miller's contract. When he injured himself, we lost the ability to grade his season, so even though he has SOME history, we don't get a full picture of what he can and cannot do. Personally, I don't believe we need to go big name at this position. We need someone with solid hands who can and will be a good blocker and route runner. I think either McCoy or Willson could end up being THE guy this year, but I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on a 4th rounder or an inexpensive free agent and see what happens

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
I can see him as a third TE. Don't really know though, the way we play makes it difficult to judge individual players.

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
I believe it was an achilles but ya, I think McCoy can come back and play a big part this season. Not sure if he's starter caliber but he is certainly a solid #2.

FWIW... We call him "The Gazelle" at our house because of that freakishly long stride he has.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hard to say until he is healthy really. But he was coming into his own until his injury. Hope he doesn't get turned out like Deion Butler. Another guy that showed a spark but was ultimately let go was Sean McGrath. I thought that guy had a lot of promise. Think he is on KC's roster now or maybe FA? I really am looking forward to Luke Willsons progression this year too! Nice to pick up another Willson in the draft!

kearly

Reaction score
I think McCoy is kind of like Austin Seferian-Jenkins lite. Good possession receiver, decently big, but pretty bad as a pass blocker, and unfortunately our offensive issues put a big value on TE pass blocking. I think we will likely get him back for the minimum, but he isn't going to make Zach Miller expendable any time soon.

I would be surprised if Seattle cut Miller. His remaining contract is basically 2 years, $10.3 million. I think that is a completely fair price given his total contribution to our team in all phases of his game, and TEs that can catch very well and block very well are not easy to find or cheap to acquire.

King Dog

Reaction score
kearly":2x1efr9d said:
I think McCoy is kind of like Austin Seferian-Jenkins lite. Good possession receiver, decently big, but pretty bad as a pass blocker, and unfortunately our offensive issues put a big value on TE pass blocking. I think we will likely get him back for the minimum, but he isn't going to make Zach Miller expendable any time soon.

I would be surprised if Seattle cut Miller. His remaining contract is basically 2 years, $10.3 million. I think that is a completely fair price given his total contribution to our team in all phases of his game, and TEs that can catch very well and block very well are not easy to find or cheap to acquire.

I don't know. I remember specifically Pete saying McCoy was really improving as a blocker in 2012 and was weighing in at 260 lbs+. I'll be stoked if we can sign him back on the cheap to compete for playing time.

Smoke

Reaction score
Wasn't McCoy the first (and Only?!) player to catch for 100 yds last year in the regular season? I wonder what a 2 TE set with McCoy and Willson would look like. I think we bring him back cheap.

MVP53

Reaction score
Smoke":3fszcm5v said:
Wasn't McCoy the first (and Only?!) player to catch for 100 yds last year in the regular season? I wonder what a 2 TE set with McCoy and Willson would look like. I think we bring him back cheap.

At first I thought this post was ridiculous, but then I looked it up and McCoy WAS the only player to go for 100 in a game until Tate did it in Week 17. Miller & Tate also went for 100+ in the Atl playoff game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1l9mi3v6 said:
Hard to say until he is healthy really. But he was coming into his own until his injury. Hope he doesn't get turned out like Deion Butler. Another guy that showed a spark but was ultimately let go was Sean McGrath. I thought that guy had a lot of promise. Think he is on KC's roster now or maybe FA? I really am looking forward to Luke Willsons progression this year too! Nice to pick up another Willson in the draft!
He is with Kansas City he's decent but not a starter. Kansas City needs to upgrade the secondary, TE, and WR groups big time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Dude. All Anthony McCoy did was catch TDs and explosive passes. Oh, and he happened to be a trusted as a run blocker. How could anyone think we couldn't use that? Not saying he has breakout potential, but he's another weapon in the endzone and inexplicably finds himself wide open all the time. I'd like to bring him back.

Seafan

Reaction score
If he's healthy he'll be back IMO. He's played for Pete for 8 years. He's a talent and he'll be cheap.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The only hesitation I have with McCoy is that while he made some huge plays in 2012, most of them were made possible by being the unknown guy on the field getting the least attention from defenses trying to keep track of receivers against a QB buying time with his feet. I'm not sure I've seen enough to say he can do it as the #1 TE. But I also wouldn't lose any sleep if he and Willson were the guys if that meant keeping golden Tate.

Largent80

Reaction score
McCoy was making strides in his game before the injury. I was expecting him to continue getting better and I am rooting for him to return and continue that progress.