Latest from Michael Bennett - Will test Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Bennett said Monday that preliminary contract discussions with coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider "have been positive."

"Pete expressed that he wanted me to be here and so did John," Bennett said, "and they're going to do the best they can do to try to work out a deal. And I look forward to that, get a chance to come back."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ael-bennett-hopes-to-reach-deal-with-seahawks

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
What else are they going to say? "Nah, we don't really care if you come back." Of course they're going to admit they want him back. They're also going to "do the best they can do" to try to work out a deal. That's a non-promise promise if I ever heard one. Didn't work out a deal? Well, that was the best they could do.

This is both coach and player speak for, well, absolutely nothing.

Jville

Reaction score
I'd assume they are exploring a base plus bonus format. Seems appropriate for Michael Bennett.

We saw such an approach with the contracts of Breno Giacomini and Paul McQuistan a couple of years ago. That approach worked out well for everyone.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Jville":k5sj8q7d said:
I'd assume they are exploring a base plus bonus format. Seems appropriate for Michael Bennett.

We saw such an approach with the contracts of Breno Giacomini and Paul McQuistan a couple of years ago. That approach worked out well for everyone.

Depends on what that base would be I suppose. He absolutely has to get a lot of guaranteed money in this deal, with us or with someone else.

strohmin

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3lkn9r2j said:
What else are they going to say? "Nah, we don't really care if you come back." Of course they're going to admit they want him back. They're also going to "do the best they can do" to try to work out a deal. That's a non-promise promise if I ever heard one. Didn't work out a deal? Well, that was the best they could do.

This is both coach and player speak for, well, absolutely nothing.

Ive heard many players express how frusterated they are with talks about contract, so atleast we know they are handling it properly.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
strohmin":e0hnizx2 said:
Ive heard many players express how frusterated they are with talks about contract, so atleast we know they are handling it properly.

Yeah, honestly there is code to read in some of these little sound bites. Sometimes negative messages do seep through a bit. This quote from today isn't a huge deal but it's a positive data point. I trust that the team is being proactive.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sounds like we have a decent chance of resigning him.I didn't think so before, it's hard to trust the FO because they're so closemouthed about contract stuff unlike other organizations.I suppose that's good though.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I see this as only a positive. If he chooses to share that the talks have been positive, that means both sides are working to get a resolution.

If he didn't want to come back, it could easily be something where he talks more to the idea that he's not taking a discount to stay with Seattle. He's already made the point clear.

Much to like when Hasselbeck kept wanted at least two years on a deal and Pete and John weren't willing to do such.

drdiags

Reaction score
I wonder why it takes so long to put together a deal with your own FAs but once Free agency opens up, deals are made within hours? You would think that the club knows who they want to prioritize and the capologist has laid out the blue print for what it will take to get the cap into shape. They know what they want to pay the guy, they have the new cap numbers. To not even have an initial exchange of numbers seems odd.

It's like each side wants to slow play the other. This pre-dates Schneider so it's just the way the Seahawks financial folks like to operate. The Eagles FO makes me envious sometimes in how they get their own re-signed or extended before most folks. This has spanned Reid/Banner/Hecker to the current crew there.

Okay, gripe session over.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":23vn903o said:
I wonder why it takes so long to put together a deal with your own FAs but once Free agency opens up, deals are made within hours? You would think that the club knows who they want to prioritize and the capologist has laid out the blue print for what it will take to get the cap into shape. They know what they want to pay the guy, they have the new cap numbers. To not even have an initial exchange of numbers seems odd.

It's like each side wants to slow play the other. This pre-dates Schneider so it's just the way the Seahawks financial folks like to operate. The Eagles FO makes me envious sometimes in how they get their own re-signed or extended before most folks. This has spanned Reid/Banner/Hecker to the current crew there.

That's exactly what's got me freaked but for my sanity I just decided to trust our FO.They haven't done us dirty yet.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":3fjfzb0m said:

That's exactly what's got me freaked but for my sanity I just decided to trust our FO.They haven't done us dirty yet.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":32flkfx8 said:
drdiags":32flkfx8 said:

Your name doesn't start with a 'D' does it. I'm tempted to make an illiteration about your double posts.

Your name doesn't start with a 'D' does it. I'm tempted to make an illiteration about your double posts. (・_ゞ)

volsunghawk

Reaction score
drdiags":21oc82il said:

Part of it is probably slow playing the deal. But another part of it is that the deals that are done "within hours" after FA opens up were usually hashed out in hush-hush style well before FA opened. Remember when Nate Burleson signed with the Lions within minutes of FA opening in 2010?

drdiags

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3jgxj3mm said:
Part of it is probably slow playing the deal. But another part of it is that the deals that are done "within hours" after FA opens up were usually hashed out in hush-hush style well before FA opened. Remember when Nate Burleson signed with the Lions within minutes of FA opening in 2010?

Yep. The back channel negotiations most likely were at least several days. As well as any of the visits players make after the beginning of Free Agency. The general number, guaranteed money and years are known to all that invite the FA in for a visit. Still, it just seems that the "discussions" with one's own Free agents going days without ever putting an initial number on the table seems to be a ritual with these guys.

What are you talking about for weeks on end? "We love having your client here.", "He will get an increase in snap count", "We will change our [offense|defense] around him". "Our client wants a parking spot closer to the entrance".

To be a fly on the wall. I know there is a need for the lack of info. Just griping until the dominoes start to fall. The tendering of Jeron Johnson but not yet Baldwin is interesting, so that is the first domino. Things will heat up come Saturday, though our guys will most likely not announce anything officially with signings until a few weeks from now. We all know the deal. Those jokers. Ha ha ...

mikeak

Reaction score
Romo just redid his deal that he was signed to last year.......

I am ok with the FO taking some time to work out good deals that will work with the team for the long term

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2fko78j6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2fko78j6 said:
drdiags":2fko78j6 said:

Your name doesn't start with a 'D' does it. I'm tempted to make an illiteration about your double posts.

Your name doesn't start with a 'D' does it. I'm tempted to make an illiteration about your double posts. (・_ゞ)

She's a post padder :p

Edit: now that was funny, I double posted on my own smart ass comment. Thank goodness for the delete option.

rideaducati

Reaction score
drdiags":j3fd77my said:

Maybe they are willing to let Bennett test the market and will match it to get him back, while at the same time not over paying. It was a soft market last year and the Seahawks got a steal. I could see that happening again.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ivotuk":1r2mbuld said:
HawKnPeppa":1r2mbuld said:
MizzouHawkGal":1r2mbuld said:
drdiags":1r2mbuld said:

She's a post padder :p

Edit: now that was funny, I double posted on my own smart ass comment. Thank goodness for the delete option.
Ok, that was funny. This forum's software hates my phone I don't have this issue on any other site.

Wolfepack

Reaction score
I don't have anything really new to add to the conversation, but I had dinner with Mike last week here in Hawai'i. Red was actually here also with his family too - staying with Mike at his beach house. Pretty ironic how they were both here, together, when that media piece came out about Red possibly being cut to resign Mike, his Texas A&M buddy. Red's wife said it's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Red was actually released a few days later after they had returned to Seattle.

But anyways, I was over for dinner with a few others because we're lending a hand with Mike's nonprofit camp here. My son went to his football clinic last year and when he was signed by our Hawks, I made sure to let him know I'd help in any capacity. He ended up getting my boy and I tickets to the Dec 22 Cardinals game and family passes. Made my son's Christmas for sure - his first Hawks game. But in working with his logo design, I had some "action green" in there. Both he and his wife really liked it but he did say, we may have to use a different color "just in case I'm not with this team." Since the evening was about planning for his camp, I didn't want to add football into the mix. It's nothing that we all haven't heard already. It certainly seemed like life as usual was carrying on as soon as they got back to Seattle and he'll be in camp and yada yada yada. But maybe it's just NFL life to be here and gone tomorrow? Who knows. His "just in case I'm not with this team" seemed to roll off his tongue so carelessly it made me think that he expects to be back, barring some major disagreement.

What does this all mean? Nothing really =). But it makes for a good story. Please don't take my "opinion" too seriously or how I read into such a simple statement - I'm obviously biased and want him to retire a Hawk so badly that I'd probably look for the silver lining in the way he ate his salmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.