Golden Tate

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
I really think that if Tate asks for more than 4 per year we should let him walk, many people want him back because he is part of the beginning era of Pete Carroll but I think he is not vital to our offense. I agree that his value rises with the fact that he can also do punt returns but we have to look at how he affects out offense. There was countless times during a game when Tate would dissapear because corners would shut him out and if you look back at the pivotal moments in the season it was always Baldwin and Kearse coming out big and not Tate. I understand that he's a great guy and that he means a lot to the team but we will find ourselves in trouble if we start to over pay for our players. I would argue that we give him a contract between 3-4 per year and let him decide if he wants to get 4.5-5 on te market or stay in Seattle. If he leaves we can use that extra 5 to extend Thomas or Sherman. Tell me what ya feel about Tate?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Well, I think a quality #2 receiver in this league is worth more than 4 million. If you want talent, you have to pay a bit for it. I certainly wouldn't turn him away if he asked for 5

jlwaters1

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3vusczhh said:
Well, I think a quality #2 receiver in this league is worth more than 4 million. If you want talent, you have to pay a bit for it. I certainly wouldn't turn him away if he asked for 5

With Cooper in Philly getting just 5/per year with his new deal, I believe 8 is guaranteed, I think 4-4.5 is fair for Tate, I'd be stoked if we could get it done for that price.

drrew

Reaction score
Tate is a quality #2 receiver in this league, coupled with being a premier punt returner. At this point, that's a $5m a year player and if he can come in around that number, I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Riley Cooper just got 5 mil a year, you honestly don't think he's better than Golden do you?

Largent80

Reaction score
Tate has made steady progress every year. Especially in his blocking as he was not so good at it coming out of college. He is a proven player and has earned a deal giving him a 5 spot+ every year.

Seaswab

Reaction score
I think Tate thinks higher of his own ability than the Seahawks do.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Tate is so undervalued here. STs, blocking, YAC. If they pay him 5 mill a year it is worth it. He's a Seattle version of Hines Ward. Boss.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Tate's a 1000 yard a season WR on any other offense in this league. As well as throwing less, Russ spreads it round. Tate will demand a fair bit more than 4m per, I think he'll get 6m.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Throwdown":2owbv58l said:
Riley Cooper just got 5 mil a year, you honestly don't think he's better than Golden do you?

Not after seeing his stats, I though he had 1,000 + yards, but Tate's are just as good. Yeah's he's probably worth 5 million, I'm not sure we'll be willing to give it to him. Clearly Thomas, Bennett and Sherman are the priorities, but I'd love to have him back.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":a9msoxsw said:
Tate's a 1000 yard a season WR on any other offense in this league. As well as throwing less, Russ spreads it round. Tate will demand a fair bit more than 4m per, I think he'll get 6m.

Macklin just got 6 - (for comparison's sake.) 3.5 million guaranteed.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Let's not forget Tate's ability to only throw TD passes.

5/yr sounds juuuust right.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Tate also stays healthy. I love that about him. A #2 that plays every week, while being a plus punt returner adds a lot of value to the roster.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Besides, with the cap going up so sharply I think everybody is going to get a little bit more than we had anticipated.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
I love Golden Tate and I hope he stays. Guy is a lot of fun to watch and he is really good at what he does. If he resigns, he will be my next jersey purchase for sure.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Throwdown":2s7w9iw9 said:

Tough to say. Cooper is taller and faster. He had less receptions for roughly the same amount of yards as Tate and 3 more TDs. I'd say the comparison is apt, and Cooper has likely set the market for that #2 range.

Thing is, Tate has come out and said (on nfl.com) that his contract talks and Cooper's "are totally different". Now, that can go positive or negative. I'm thinking he wants more. I definately don't think he's going to get more than 6 mil/year and maybe not more than 5.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
One underrated aspect of Tate is that he is never injured. Something that can't be said of any of our receiving core except Kearse maybe.