A little Avril love

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The website that shall not be named ranked the top 35 RT of 2013. Coming in at #6 was Anthony Davis. #5 was Orlando Franklin. #1 was Zach Strief. Avril wreaked havoc against all of those guys. They are responsible for The Tip (and the strip sack), Malcom's Pick Six and the Bennett TD in the regular season. What a beast Avril is.

Cartire

Reaction score
So much Bennett love, and I thought Avril played the best on the entire line. half his sacks were strip sacks. And he tipped so many balls. Guy was a Baller.

Showmeyourtd's

Reaction score
Avril just wasn't as consistent, there were a few games I was thinking is he playing? Where Bennett did something every game

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Love Arvil he's a perfect scheme fit for us just like Bennett. I really hope Bennett realizes this and the synergy those two seem to have.....

Hawks46

Reaction score
Even better is that Avril had a beef with Anthony Davis after they Niners played the Lions in his last year there. Avril got shut out against Davis and said something about Davis after the game, which Davis responded on twitter and called him a punk or something like that.

Avril and Davis had bad blood, then Avril came here and owned him. That's pretty awesome.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
They still talk about Cliff at the combine. He put down some crazy numbers.

suppaball

Reaction score
I have drafted Avril each year he has been in the league in Madden, and he does that for me every year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I hope they resign/restructure his contract. Get him locked down long term and reduce his cap hit this year with a big signing bonus.

themunn

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":25qmaemt said:
The website that shall not be named ranked the top 35 RT of 2013. Coming in at #6 was Anthony Davis. #5 was Orlando Franklin. #1 was Zach Strief. Avril wreaked havoc against all of those guys. They are responsible for The Tip (and the strip sack), Malcom's Pick Six and the Bennett TD in the regular season. What a beast Avril is.

They also ranked Bowie above Giacomini at RT, given Giacomini was on around 3.5m per year and Bowie's contract is 2.2m total over 4 years, it'll be interesting to see what happens, personally I didn't think the dropoff was all that bad with Bowie at T (though his pass protection leaves somewhat to be desired).

I agree, Avril is the man, I'd be more inclined to tie him up over 4 years than resign Bennett to be honest...

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Bennett lovefest has taken the focus off of everyone else on the line. Avril, Bane, and Clem are all being marginalized by some as a result.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
The real question is which "genius" GMAIL will give Brenno the big money? Does the dumbass at SF need a RT?

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Avril made that Niner RT look like Locklear. Total domination. And the dude is more than just a sack machine, has the intelligence to cause turnovers and change the game.

When we moved Avril and Bennett to the same side and Clem opposite it created a defense of legendary status.

When we got him, I was expecting a guy that got stats but wasn't a real difference maker. I was wrong, he is a beast. Speed rush, great hands, bull rush, awareness. God bless Cliff Avril.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1a3pn2zx said:
Bennett lovefest has taken the focus off of everyone else on the line. Avril, Bane, and Clem are all being marginalized by some as a result.

The reason Bennett has gotten more attention is because he's up for free agency while Avril and Mebane aren't, and Clemons is going to be released.

Avril was outstanding this year, and a lot of it had to do with how he paired so well with Bennett (and vice versa). I'm hoping we can keep both of them on longer-term deals, but Avril's deal isn't up this year while Bennett's is. So the focus goes to Bennett.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cliff Avril
$3.75 mil (2013)
18 Games Played
9.5 Sacks
7.0 Passes Defensed
7.0 Forced Fumbles

Had a Sack Total in 11 of 19 Games.
So, 7 games where he didn't record a Sack.
Longest Sack Streak: 6 Games
Longest Streak w/o Sack: 2 Games

Michael Bennett
$4.8 mil (2013)
19 Games Played
10.0 Sacks
0.0 Passes Defensed
3.0 Forced Fumbles

Had a Sack Total in 10 of 19 games.
So, 9 games where he didn't record a Sack.
Longest Sack Streak: 4 Games
Longest Streak w/o a Sack: 3 Games

Cliff Avril had a foot injury that put him out of OTAs, and a hamstring injury that took him out of tr camp and pre-season games all the way to the first game. He played less snaps than Michael Bennett and was either equally as productive or more productive as well as making less than Bennett in 2013.

And people throw the consistency card without knowing what they are talking about.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":x37ktriz said:
Cliff Avril
$3.75 mil (2013)
18 Games Played
9.5 Sacks
7.0 Passes Defensed
7.0 Forced Fumbles

Had a Sack Total in 11 of 19 Games.
So, 7 games where he didn't record a Sack.
Longest Sack Streak: 6 Games
Longest Streak w/o Sack: 2 Games

Michael Bennett
$4.8 mil (2013)
19 Games Played
10.0 Sacks
0.0 Passes Defensed
3.0 Forced Fumbles

Had a Sack Total in 10 of 19 games.
So, 9 games where he didn't record a Sack.
Longest Sack Streak: 4 Games
Longest Streak w/o a Sack: 3 Games

Cliff Avril had a foot injury that put him out of OTAs, and a hamstring injury that took him out of tr camp and pre-season games all the way to the first game. He played less snaps than Michael Bennett and was either equally as productive or more productive as well as making less than Bennett in 2013.

And people throw the consistency card without knowing what they are talking about.

He didn't make less than Bennett in 2013. His cap number was less than Bennett's cap number because Bennett had only the one year on his deal.

Avril's base salary in 2013 was $1.5M (and was fully guaranteed), and his signing bonus was $4.5M. And Avril has a $7M base salary this coming season, $5M of which is fully guaranteed. His cap number this coming season is $9.25M.

Give Avril props all you like; he deserves them. But don't lie/obfuscate the truth about the money just so you can crap on Bennett.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":j1j8eyml said:

It will be interesting to see if he keeps up his pace from the end of the season with a full camp and him entering the season healthy. If so we could be seeing a 15+ sack season from him. That would be sweet.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin was in Avril's spot in 2012 and logged 9 sacks in 17 games.

Jason Jones, Allen Branch, Clinton McDonald, Brandon Mebane, Greg Scruggs, and Jaye Howard combined for 10 sacks in 2012.

Why are you guys mad that Bennett is considered more crucial then Avril? Sure Avril improved upon Bruce Irvin's ROOKIE campaign by .5 sacks, 6 PDs and 6 FF as a 6 year veteran.

Avril was picked up because of Clemons injury and age concern. Bennett was picked up to improve interior line play and by himself matched our entire 2012 DT rotations sack production.

If you like Avril great, I do as well. But if you're mad I value Bennett's production above his, too bad.