Russell Wilson's Contract Extension

RussWils3

Reaction score
What do you look for this to look like in terms of years and dollars?

I would like to see Wilson locked up to near a lifetime contract here, or one that takes him through his prime years. I understand we can start to negotiate at the end of this season (I believe).

I am hoping for a 7 or 8 year deal around $100 million. I think Russell will be like our Joe Montana or Brady. As other pieces continue to shift, get injured, leave, as long as Wilson is in tact we will always have the opportunity to compete.

The Radish

Reaction score
My friend, you do realize don't you that the team can't talk to him or his agent until after next season's SuperB owl is over?

And that's if they start a year early. (which I expect)

:1:

drdiags

Reaction score
Using our divisional foes from the South, early rumor reports has them talking an extension with Kap with a floor of 15M up to 22M. So your numbers could be a little low on total compensation. The floor is $15M. $18-20M/yr is what I am thinking in a year.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Its a hard thing..if you think he is elite and already deserving of a lifetime contract.. why would he accept 12.5 million a year? Thanks nearly 40% less than Flacco. Its 40% less than Manning I believe. I think Wilson is smart and will leave some money on the table so that the Seahawks have the money to put pieces around him.. but I dont see him taking 8 million less a year.

I could see him take less also for more up front..but at the same time if you put too much up front and something happens to him.. youre in a world of hurt.

6 years, 100 million.. and it means we have to go to more of a passing game and rely on first contract RBs only while we are paying Wilson. You cant pour money into the position but not get production, otherwise youre hamstringing yourself. Wilsons contract will mean no more Lynch very likely, with Michael becoming the featured runner and he being replaced by draft a couple years later.

The increased cap in two years time helps but maybe not enough.

drdiags

Reaction score
I saw a hopeful tweet from one of the NFL cap folks that said originally the NFL clubs were told to expect a flat cap until 2015. With the $6-$8M bump this year, they were projecting that 2015 cap could be as high as $150M. We will see. Still, paying even average starting QB money looks like it will be $15-$18M/yr.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RussWils3":1sdtvobk said:
What do you look for this to look like in terms of years and dollars?

I would like to see Wilson locked up to near a lifetime contract here, or one that takes him through his prime years. I understand we can start to negotiate at the end of this season (I believe).

I am hoping for a 7 or 8 year deal around $100 million. I think Russell will be like our Joe Montana or Brady. As other pieces continue to shift, get injured, leave, as long as Wilson is in tact we will always have the opportunity to compete.
There is this thing called the salary cap, that's why there isn't any lifetime contracts in the NFL. Plus NFL contracts are not guaranteed like baseball.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":1zesqj2g said:
My friend, you do realize don't you that the team can't talk to him or his agent until after next season's SuperB owl is over?

And that's if they start a year early. (which I expect)

:1:
It's going to cost big trying to sign a 2 time Superbowl winner to an extension. Ouchie Mama!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":1xgfxb18 said:
Using our divisional foes from the South, early rumor reports has them talking an extension with Kap with a floor of 15M up to 22M. So your numbers could be a little low on total compensation. The floor is $15M. $18-20M/yr is what I am thinking in a year.
22 million for Keapernick? Sweet baby jesus! I am hoping Wilson signs for 17-18 million. That's obviously a pipedream. I'm thinking 7/147.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Kaepernick's new contract will tell us a lot. If they start paying their QBs over $15 million per year, it's going to make it tough for either franchise to get the playmakers around them to win at their current level. Lynch may only have a couple years left. That's going to put more weight on Wilson's shoulders going forward with the necessity of fielding less talent around him due to having less money to allocate.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2m9gynbc said:
Kaepernick's new contract will tell us a lot. If they start paying their QBs over $15 million per year, it's going to make it tough for either franchise to get the playmakers around them to win at their current level. Lynch may only have a couple years left. That's going to put more weight on Wilson's shoulders going forward with the necessity of fielding less talent around him due to having less money to allocate.
15 million? Good luck. Baltimore offered FLACCO 17 million and he said no and now they're screwed with a Bradford contract x100.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2f8kdd3d said:
hawknation2014":2f8kdd3d said:
15 million? Good luck. Baltimore offered FLACCO 17 million and he said no and now they're screwed with a Bradford contract x100.

That was stupid of Baltimore. It's going to be a very long time before they get back to their previous level of talent.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I just say we bite the bullet and go 20-21 million for Wilson. It's insane but do they have any other logical choice?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
People think it's a QB driven league, when in reality it's a defense driven league. One mega contract for a QB equates to two or three contracts for good defensive players.

I think Kaepernick ends up giving SF a substantial hometown discount in the neighborhood of $17 million. By playing more games in Washington state, Wilson would save around a million dollars in state income tax with that contract. I don't think $15 million is out of the question if Wilson truly wants to be the greatest QB ever. He will only achieve that if the Seahawks are capable of building a great team around him.

Penman96

Reaction score
Flacco / Baltimore will renegotiate that deal after 2015 - it's common knowledge his deal is ludicrous after that. In the near term Flacco gets 14.5 million / year in 2014 and 2015. Romo's deal is even worse.

I've heard the line of thinking that "if Flacco gets this much...etc..." then so should Keap and Wilson and whatever. I personally think any team that follows the path of Baltimore or Dallas is going to end up in a shambles - that includes the Seahawks.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":2odzxoqo said:
7 years, $150 million.

Book it.

That would shatter the record for the biggest contract ever handed out in NFL history. And I would be 100% fine with that (although the rise in lame-brain Joe Flacco comparisons would probably drive me crazy).

randomation

Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see Russ sign a below market contract he wants to bee the best ever hard to do that when you are taking up 20% of your teams salary cap ala flacco.