12s want to rename a Seattle street 'Seahawks Place'

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
http://www.king5.com/sports/seahawks/12 ... 32521.html

A petition drive is under way to rename a two block stretch of Seattle’s Occidental Avenue “Seahawks Place" in honor of the Super Bowl champions.

The online petition reads, “We, the undersigned 12th man, call on the City of Seattle to rename a portion of, or ceremoniously add a name to Occidental Avenue between S. Royal Brougham and S. King Street. We the 12th man petition to rename or include the name ‘Seahawks Place or Ave’. We understand the history of the current name and intend no harm or insult to the city, its people or its heritage.”

Signed!

They ought to shoot for renaming a portion of Occidental that intersects 12th street. Imagine being able to meet your buds on the corner of 12th and Seahawks Place!

:th2thumbs:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Love the 12th and Seahawks idea. Does the street cross 12th anywhere?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
FYI, my wife started this drive...came up with the idea (with a little help) and created the petition. She was on KOMO radio the other day talking about it.

I'm proud of her!

A lot of Seattle historians freaked out and crapped on the idea, but they kept missing the point that it's not designed to change Seattle history and it's only a small segment right in the vicinity of the stadium, in the same vein as Edgar Martinez and Dave Niehaus.

OP
OP
HolyCatfish

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2ikhw4y1 said:
FYI, my wife started this drive...came up with the idea (with a little help) and created the petition. She was on KOMO radio the other day talking about it.

I'm proud of her!

A lot of Seattle historians freaked out and crapped on the idea, but they kept missing the point that it's not designed to change Seattle history and it's only a small segment right in the vicinity of the stadium, in the same vein as Edgar Martinez and Dave Niehaus.

Cheers! :thirishdrinkers:

It's a great idea and think that's where I heard the story first, listening to Komo.

*creepy nerd voice* Your wife sounds really really pretty.

OP
OP
HolyCatfish

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
sc85sis":1fxmy6ys said:
I'll admit my ignorance. What is the history of Occidental Avenue?

It's either celebrating a French far-right militant political group, often described as fascist-leaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occident_(movement)

or

Recognition of Joanna Newsom's follow up album to the harpist's highly acclaimed second studio release Have One On Me (Yes, Harpists can be acclaimed, who knew?). It is a triple album produced by herself and mixed by long-time collaborators Jim O'Rourke and Noah Georgeson, with the accompanying arrangements by Ryan Francesconi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_One_On_Me

Either way I'm cool with it being renamed. What does really good harp playing have to do with Seattle anyway?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
HolyCatfish":1ipntuwn said:
FlyingGreg":1ipntuwn said:

I'm proud of her!

Cheers! :thirishdrinkers:

It's a great idea and think that's where I heard the story first, listening to Komo.

*creepy nerd voice* Your wife sounds really really pretty.

Yeah dude Greg's wife's hot!

This whole thing is badass. Let's get it done.

45Hawker

Reaction score
I think it's named Occidental Square after the large maple trees, which is of the species, "Occidentalis."

So except for being named that for a short while (1971), the name is not really tied to any Seattle history.

Skottt

Reaction score
Love this idea!

Since the article didn't have a visual, I made a map of where the proposed street would be renamed. I don't think a better street exists.

UxJbzXl

5280Hawk

Reaction score
I figured since my Address is (way) outside the City of Seattle they would throw out my signature, but they didn't.

Signed baby!

OP
OP
HolyCatfish

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
5280Hawk":321zepih said:
I figured since my Address is (way) outside the City of Seattle they would throw out my signature, but they didn't.

Signed baby!

I think it was Socrates that said, "I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a 12th Man!”

As the story goes, he kinda yelled that last part in his Hawks voice. I think that's where we got it.

OP
OP
HolyCatfish

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
rigelian":22k6y7v9 said:
I'd prefer Seahawks Way

All I know is Avenues run north and south and streets run east and west. Not sure if there are any rules on "way's" or "places" for that matter.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Greg.... just TELL City Hall that they are GOING to change the name or else you're going to use your cannons on them...

MVP53

Reaction score
Too bad, I don't think there's any intersection of 12th & 48th in Seattle.

That would be a cool photo op, or perhaps a place to put some sort of Super Bowl monument, even though it would be up in either the U District or Ballard.

HawkWow

Reaction score
This has inspired me. Just informed the wife I'm naming the driveway

Seahawk Drive.

Would all caps be more appropriate?

SEAHAWK DRIVE

Yes..all caps, it is.

or

SEAHAWK Drive?

Now I see why this is so difficult to get passed.