Hawks meeting with Bennett agent in Indy

drrew

Reaction score
Multiple sources have Schneider sitting down with Bennett's agent while in Indianapolis.

While I don't want to completely mortgage the future, the best chance this team has to win another Super Bowl is next year with Bennett and Tate on the roster. I'd like to think the surprise extra salary cap money provides just enough wiggle room to get them both signed.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't see it happening.

Some team will pay Michael considerably more money than John and Pete feels that he's worth.

And I'm an optimist by nature.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":25avm9qx said:

Some team will pay Michael considerably more money than John and Pete feels that he's worth.

I still think some teams will be scared off by his shoulder injury. It's why he only signed for a 1 year deal here.

He decided to play through it for the last 2 years and had done well, but some teams may have a hard time justifying a long-term commitment and big money to that. You never know when the pain may flare up because he never took care of it with surgery.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Of course they are meeting with him. They are meeting with all the key free agents to atleast exchange terms and feel eachother ot. Doesn't nessecarily mean anything productive will come of it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If the Seahawks can sign Bennett to Marshawn Lynch money, 4 yrs/32 million that would be legitimate.

But you are looking at losing Red Bryant and making Bennett a full-time player.

If the Seahawks can nab him for Chris Clemons money that would be even sweeter 3 YRs/ 22 million ..

Either way Seahawks would still be able to retain one of McDaniel or McDonald, probably McDaniel.

But in order for this to work you are looking at Bennett having to play around 285, which is probably doable, adding 10 pounds, so he he can be a Bryant like force against the rush.

50 tackles, 10 TFL, 10 Sacks around 70% of the Defensive Snap would be worth the investment.

The only think I don't like about re-signing Bennett is:

1. How motivated is he by the money?
2. Losing out on what could be a 3rd round Comp.
3. I rather have quanity of multiple players than 1 quality player.

But getting Bennett anywhere under 8 per, would be a steal in my opinion.

gargantual

Reaction score
HawkFan72":20ddpo8z said:
onanygivensunday":20ddpo8z said:

I still think some teams will be scared off by his shoulder injury. It's why he only signed for a 1 year deal here.

He decided to play through it for the last 2 years and had done well, but some teams may have a hard time justifying a long-term commitment and big money to that. You never know when the pain may flare up because he never took care of it with surgery.

Has anyone heard any mention of if he's planning to get surgery on his shoulder? I hadn't heard anything about what his plans are other than he put it off last year and just played through the pain all season.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Would they rather have Bryant, Clemons, and McDaniel OR Bennett?

Cutting Bryant and Clemons would cost $5.3 million in dead money. Re-signing McDaniel would cost around $1.5 million. If they lose all three, that sacrifices the depth that kept the defensive line fresh and guarded against injuries to any one player.

If Bennett wants more than $7-7.5 million per year, they could probably keep those other guys and find a cheaper alternative to Bennett in the draft or free agency.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":7ffq5o3o said:
If the Seahawks can sign Bennett to Marshawn Lynch money, 4 yrs/32 million that would be legitimate.

But you are looking at losing Red Bryant and making Bennett a full-time player.

If the Seahawks can nab him for Chris Clemons money that would be even sweeter 3 YRs/ 22 million ..

Either way Seahawks would still be able to retain one of McDaniel or McDonald, probably McDaniel.

But in order for this to work you are looking at Bennett having to play around 285, which is probably doable, adding 10 pounds, so he he can be a Bryant like force against the rush.

50 tackles, 10 TFL, 10 Sacks around 70% of the Defensive Snap would be worth the investment.

The only think I don't like about re-signing Bennett is:

1. How motivated is he by the money?
2. Losing out on what could be a 3rd round Comp.
3. I rather have quanity of multiple players than 1 quality player.

But getting Bennett anywhere under 8 per, would be a steal in my opinion.
You aren't going to get 3rd round comp for him because we will re-sign someone else in his place, if he doesn't sign. May get a 6th or 7th.

formido

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2qirxlks said:

I bet he'll be here. Seattle knows his value and he wants to be here, so we'll get a hometown advantage. Maybe not a "discount", but an advantage. Oakland's close to a Hawaii, too, though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Man I hope we get Bennett back. Lots of bravado in the Bennett thread IE " Screw him...let him walk" but It's been a loooooong damn time since we've had a pocket collapsing mofo like Bennett. He's not Tez, but like some...I can't shake the pain that came witnessing QB after QB comfortably stepping up, unscathed, into a nice practically fur lined pocket...then killing us for 1st downs and keeping our D on the field. Avril was a nice pick-up, but he's not working that tomahawk magic without Bennett forcing the QB to retreat into Avril's path. I so hope camp Bennett goes for 8. IF we get Bennett at 8mil per, I think it would be a steal and I will feel very comfortable that we will again be the leagues best D. But If we can't secure Bennett...I don't even want to think about that right now. As good as Earl and Sherm were, my D MVP would go to Bennett (even at his comparably reduced number of plays on the field).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
lukerguy":16uajoou said:
You aren't going to get 3rd round comp for him because we will re-sign someone else in his place, if he doesn't sign. May get a 6th or 7th.

You have to count ALL of the FAs lost and signed. Seattle has 15 UFAs. If SEA lets the majority of its higher value FAs walk and fills their spots with draft picks or minimum-deal FAs, then it is eligible for the higher level comp picks. If they re-sign everyone except Bennett and give a fat contract to a replacement DE/DE, then yes, we won't get a great comp pick. If we lose more high-value FAs than we sign and if Bennett ends up being one of the best and highest paid FAs to leave a team, then there is a very good chance he nets a 3rd round comp pick.

"A team is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks if it is determined that they lost more or better players than they were able to acquire during the previous year's free agency period. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents (maximum of four)."

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":13mv109y said:
If Bennett wants more than $7-7.5 million per year, they could probably keep those other guys and find a cheaper alternative to Bennett in the draft or free agency.
Ummm, no. There may be 'cheaper' alternatives, as in less dollars. But none who have the inside/outside impact on the team that Bennett has.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Remember it takes 2 to tango. If Bennett wants just too much let him go and let JS and PC work their magic. That's how Bennett got here in the first place.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":o7ab3z56 said:
Multiple sources have Schneider sitting down with Bennett's agent while in Indianapolis.

While I don't want to completely mortgage the future, the best chance this team has to win another Super Bowl is next year with Bennett and Tate on the roster. I'd like to think the surprise extra salary cap money provides just enough wiggle room to get them both signed.

Actually, no it's not the Seahawks have a ton of depth, don't be confused with what got us here. Bennett is a solid player, but it's not crucial we re-sign him imo. We will be fine regardless, just let JS and PC do their thing.