Salary Cap Breakdowns for the NFCW

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some pretty good reads. Like everyone else, the author links to overthecap.com. Looks lie the numbers listed at overthecap are for the 2013 season but they are still good for comparisons sake.

Seattle Seahawks:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/7/53 ... ennett-and

Plus:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/2/6/5376 ... -cardinals

St Louis Rams (what I wouldn't give to be a spatta-in-the face! Errr, I mean to steal Robert Quinn from the Rams)

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/6/53 ... bert-quinn

Arizona Cardinals:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/5/53 ... s-contract

Some thoughts on what DTs, WRs, and TEs make. Infer what you will as to how that will effect the Seahawks.

DTs Randy Starks and Henry Melton make 8.45 million a year under the franchise tag. Geno Atkins makes 10.7, Gerald McCoy makes 11 Million and Ndamukung Suh counts as 12.9 million against the Lions cap.

So looks like the franchise tag for a DT will be around 8.5 million?

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=DT

Wide Receivers pay is out of control for some teams with Calvin Johnson being the most expensive at 16.2 million per year Fitz 16.1, and Percy coming in at #3 for 12.8 million per year.

Michael Crabtree gets 5.3, Greg Jennings got overpaid by the Vikings at 9 million per, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson are in the 11 - 12 million per range.

Surprisingly Reggie Wayne is getting 5.8 and I would consider him a #1 receiver.

So it looks like #2 receivers start at approximately $6 million per year and down and the franchise tag would be about 13.7 for WR.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=WR

I'm curious what they will do with Zach Miller who they list at 6.8 million. Vernon Davis is at 7.3 and Gronk is the highest paid at 9 million per year.
Looks like Franchise for a TE is about 7.6 Million.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salari ... osition=TE

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Thanks for the articles. According to OverTheCap.com, the Seahawks are currently #2 in the NFL in spending at the WR position for the 2014 season ($25,650,000).

John Schneider overspent on Percy Harvin ($13,400,000) and Sidney Rice ($9,700,000). If they cut Rice, as expected, they will owe him $2.4 million in dead money. Doug Baldwin is likely to receive the $2.5 million tender. That leaves $4.8 million left over from cutting Rice, most of which will be allocated for Golden Tate and whatever draft prospects/free agents they decide to add. For the Seahawks to get their bang for their buck, Harvin will probably need to have the most productive season of his career.

Without Bennett, McDonald, or McDaniel currently on the roster, the Seahawks are still #1 in DL spending ($40.7 million). Chris Clemons ($9,666,668),
Cliff Avril ($9,250,000), and Red Bryant ($8,500,000) are all being paid like All-Pros. They're currently spending $30.9 million on DEs alone, which is $7 million more than the next highest spending team. And if Bennett truly is the off-season priority he is perceived to be, then most of the savings from cutting Clemons and/or Bryant will go to him. Hypothetically, cutting both Clemons and Bryant would leave over $5 million in dead money on the table.

How the off-season plays out at WR and DL will be interesting to say the least.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
hawknation2014":594kqo7i said:
If they cut Rice, as expected, they will owe him $2.4 million in dead money.
Not true.

Dead money is not paid to the player... UNLESS he is still owed guaranteed money, which is not the case with Rice. The last of his guaranteed money was paid to him in 2012.

kidhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3c1o3bnp said:
hawknation2014":3c1o3bnp said:
If they cut Rice, as expected, they will owe him $2.4 million in dead money.
Not true.

Dead money is not paid to the player... UNLESS he is still owed guaranteed money, which is not the case with Rice. The last of his guaranteed money was paid to him in 2012.

I took the first post as meaning we owe it against the cap more than cash we have to give him per se, but you are correct, the $2.4 million is pro-rated bonus money he's already been paid. We owe him $1.2 million this year and $1.2 million next year.

Also, I believe (unless the rule has expired) that we can wait to cut him and end up splitting that dead money over two seasons which would add another $1.2 million to our cap space for the year. I'm not 100% on this, because we've not really used that rule much in recent years, so it may have expired, but if it still works that way it might be a good move since the cap is due for a larger increase in 2015

Jville

Reaction score
Speaking of dead cap money, here is the final NFC West dead cap money rankings for 2013.

#1 49ers at ............. $5.867 mil
#2 Seahawks ........... $8.381 mil
#3 Rams ................. $12.629 mil
#4 Cardinals ............ $18.548 mil

The "rule of thumb" cap maximum has been 10%
The Rams bumped up against that maximum and the Cardinals exceeded that guideline.
I think the 49ers have managed their cap very well in recent years.
With John Idzik moving on as the New York Jets General Manager, tracking Seahawk dead cap money is of heighten interest.

mikeak

Reaction score
The numbers are based on $126.3 million cap

It was announced today that it will be $130 million

So an additional $3.7 million

bigcc

Reaction score
Clemons will restructure..... cutting him would save 7 mil, and honestly what team is going to offer a 32 year old DE coming off a "meh" season that kind of money? Worst comes to worst Irvin moves back down to the Leo. Losing Mcdonald (which i believe will happen) isn't too big an issue either, Hill played well when he was healthy last year, and a torn bicep isnt exactly a career altering type of injury (unlike Clemons' ACL)

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
bigcc":1hnj2cuq said:
Clemons will restructure..... cutting him would save 7 mil, and honestly what team is going to offer a 32 year old DE coming off a "meh" season that kind of money? Worst comes to worst Irvin moves back down to the Leo. Losing Mcdonald (which i believe will happen) isn't too big an issue either, Hill played well when he was healthy last year, and a torn bicep isnt exactly a career altering type of injury (unlike Clemons' ACL)

I think our young guys in the wings such as Brooks, Scruggs and Mayowa are very promising. If we lose some vets, I don't think the drop off in play will be commensurate with the drop off in savings. i.e. we would be getting more bang for the buck if we have to move on to the young guys.

I feel a sense of relief every time I remember that John Schneider is our General Manager. I still have Tim Ruskell induced PTSD. J.S. will work his magic and I'll find myself saying "What the hell was i worried for?" :180670:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ivotuk":3m4xxc8y said:
bigcc":3m4xxc8y said:

I think our young guys in the wings such as Brooks, Scruggs and Mayowa are very promising. If we lose some vets, I don't think the drop off in play will be commensurate with the drop off in savings. i.e. we would be getting more bang for the buck if we have to move on to the young guys.

I feel a sense of relief every time I remember that John Schneider is our General Manager. I still have Tim Ruskell induced PTSD. J.S. will work his magic and I'll find myself saying "What the hell was i worried for?" :180670:

I watched JS presser in Indy this morning on NWCN...So much a calm, cool, and collected person. Not worried at all about our situation for next year. It is a business for us.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

kidhawk

Reaction score
bigcc":22vn98lw said:

Clemons did NOT have a meh season...call it a pet peeve or whatever you like, but I find it so irritating when people think a player has a bad or less than par year because his stats are down. Clemons flat out BALLED this year. In seasons past he was our ONLY true pass rusher, so he was on the field more and had more time to get to the qb since there was nobody else really able to get there. This year, we've had a lot more talent, so when Clemons man handles his guy, the qb runs the opposite direction into the waiting arms of guys like Bennet. Don't look at stats alone when seeing what kind of year a guy had. Yes, Clemons will likely get cut or restructure, but it's more due to his age than his ability. Clemons still had an excellent year this year and if we end up losing Bennett, then we absolutely don't want to lose Clemons as well. Between Bennett, Clemons & Avril, we really must keep at least 2 of these guys moving forward. A lot of what happens with Clemons will depend on what we can do with Bennett. If he signs with us, then I'm quite sure Clemons either takes a cut or goes into free agency where he likely will get a fairly decent short term deal. If Bennett is wooed away by another team, don't be surprised to see Clemons here another year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1xui13do said:
LOL at the desperate moron Niners Nation posters crossing their fingers and hoping that we lose all our players that aren't very good anyway.

They've got their own problems. In the next two years they have to figure out a way to pay Kaeperstink 12-15M, find a replacement RB cause Gore's over the hill, and have 30-40M of their cap space taken up by their LB corp.