Offseason Roster Analysis and Predictions

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Here are some thoughts on how I think this offseason will play out.

Before all the free agency hoopla one thing to keep in mind is increases in salaries which will not be cut:

Percy Harvin 8.5m
Cliff Avril 5.5m
Earl Thomas 2.5m
Kam Chanceloor 2m
Russell Okung 1.7m

Total increases: 20.2m

There are also two free agents who we may not re-sign which would lead to some cap relief.

Paul McQuistan 3.4m
Breno Giacomini 4.8m
Michael Benett 4.8m

I am on the side that we don't re-sign Breno at that kind of money (or at all) based on injuries and us drafting a replacement. I won't add Bennett in as I will discuss him later.

Total Savings: 8.2m

Net Salary Increases 12m

To make this up 2 players will be cut with almost 100% certainty. Cap hit - Dead Money - Net

Chris Clemons 9.7 - 2.2 - 7.5m
Sidney Rice 9.7 - 2.4 - 7.3m

Total net savings 14.8m

Net cap room created 2.8m

Offseason Moves

1a) Michael Bennett

To simplify things for Michael Bennett - his 4.8 million salary is off the books so in order to pay him around 7m next year we just need to add in the net savings from Clemons and Rice to get up to 7.6m. This is why I am basically certain that we will re-sign Bennett if number of years doesn't become the sticking point. So with increases, cutting Rice, Clemons and letting McQuistan and Breno walk - we get to keep Bennett and I am almost certain we keep Bennett.

1b) Earl Thomas extension

Earl is set to have a cap hit of 5.5m this year. Extending him this year would probably keep that number in line and give us the security of Earl for years to come (who I think is more important than Sherman for a number of reasons). As such, an extension for Earl this season, to me, is a no-brainer. It won't cost us a dime and will allow us to better go into negotiations with Sherman and Wilson with greater certainty.

2) Red Bryant

Although a fan favourite, we could save 5.5m by cutting him this year. He will make a roster bonus of 3m sometime in March so we will know for sure by then but I really don't see us paying him, Mebane, Avril and Bennett. I think if we re-sign Bennett - the writing is on the wall for Red and we should know that fairly quickly. We could also trade him but his contract probably would not attract many buyers as he can't rush the passer (and 3-4 ends typically don't make 8m).

Net savings 5.5m

3) Golden Tate

With the extra money from cutting Red Bryant we could certainly re-sign Golden Tate. Whether we should we re-sign Golden Tate is a whole other issue. But I think if we can keep his cap hit between 4-6m/year over 4 years - we should do it. I predict we will get this deal done and a first year cap hit of around 4m (which would go up with time). He is super durable and very underrated.

Cap hit 4m

4) Free agency

So that leaves us 1.5m to play with and our only real glaring need is on the offensive line. We may pick up a veteran tackle but otherwise we won't be big players in free agency.

5) Draft

There are two places I think we draft high this year - OL and TE. We are not going to re-sign some veterans so we will need an injection of talent along the offensive line. We will also be looking to the futures of Zach Miller and Russell Okung who are huge against the cap and may need to be changed in the coming years for extensions for Wilson and Sherman.

6) Sherman extension

A Sherman extension this year could occur if one of two things happen - we don't re-sign Tate or we cut Zach Miller. I don't see either happening as that would leave us too thin on the offensive side of the ball. Moreover, Sherm would be a fairly big cap jump this year - and in the life cycle of the NFL - why pay a guy quicker than you need to? How could his value possibly go up further?
At worst we Franchise Tag him next year. Moreover, I think it would spread our brain trust too thin. I think this is our #1 priority next season and it will be structured with Wilson's looming extension in 2015.

Conclusion

Walk (or cheap re-sign): Giacomini, Mcquistan

Sign: Benett, Tate

Cut: Rice, Clemons, Bryant

Extend: Thomas

Draft: At least one OL and TE early

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Some good thoughts. I think you are forgetting some players though. We have a lot more FA that we need to re-sign or replace. Mcdonald, Mcdaniel, Mcquistan, Baldwin (RFA), Jean-Pierre (RFA), Jeron Johnson, Maragos, Hauschka off the top of my head. That is why I don't think we will be re-signing Tate unless he will take $3m or so.

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":hv2p96kc said:
Some good thoughts. I think you are forgetting some players though. We have a lot more FA that we need to re-sign or replace. Mcdonald, Mcdaniel, Mcquistan, Baldwin (RFA), Jean-Pierre (RFA), Jeron Johnson, Maragos, Hauschka off the top of my head. That is why I don't think we will be re-signing Tate unless he will take $3m or so.

I agree but these are more big piece moves that are huge forks in the road.

McDonald (630k) and McDaniel (940k) will have salaries that come off the books. I think we let one go who will pay for the other. I suspect we keep McDonald - who is a better pass rusher and is 2 years younger.

Baldwin was 560k and a second round tender would be about 2m so we would need 1.5m for him. I think we let WTIII walk and his 600k and figure out the other 900k. Maragos was 855k last year and would be maybe making 1.1m at the most so a 300k raise there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thats good on the surface, now you have to look at salary's that could be renegotiated of people not up for contracts but could be reduced, or extended that are not our name guys. We do that a lot to acheive our flexability.Thats where it gets more difficult to predict how things pan out. Where I don't agree with all cuts and moves it's an obvious start as far as looking at the big hitters. Could Harvin be renegotiated after just one year based on how he got paid last year but didn't play really and free up room?

I say that becasue him and Rice are good freinds and they wanted to be able to play together. Rice and Harvin giving something could help a lot.

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
chris98251":xpd12rrx said:
Thats good on the surface, now you have to look at salary's that could be renegotiated of people not up for contracts but could be reduced, or extended that are not our name guys. We do that a lot to acheive our flexability.Thats where it gets more difficult to predict how things pan out. Where I don't agree with all cuts and moves it's an obvious start as far as looking at the big hitters. Could Harvin be renegotiated after just one year based on how he got paid last year but didn't play really and free up room?

I say that becasue him and Rice are good freinds and they wanted to be able to play together. Rice and Harvin giving something could help a lot.

I agree but it is tough to assume any renegotiation would take place. Effectively you can't renegotiate with Harvin because you have no leverage as there is no threat to cut him. That doesn't come until 2016.

Rice could renegotiate but he would have to take a substantial pay cut and furthermore, if you keep Rice then you let basically have to let Tate walk - but why would we do that? Rice is very injury prone and Tate is a workhorse who is 2 years younger. I would rather pay Tate.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I think Red/Miller accept paycuts
Bennett 3/21
Clemons / Rice cut
I think we actually resign Giac
As far as wr go, I think we resign Tate unless he gets too greedy

niveky

Reaction score
I think that Miller is going to be (and none of them are easy) one of the easiest cap casualties for the FO to make. If they cut him they get 5m in cap space back. I think they like what they have with MCCoy and Wilson, they will keep McGrath to compete in training camp and I could see them doing a combination of drafting mid/late round TE and bringing in a udfa te(s) and/or younger veteran as well and then see how that position shakes up in training camp. If they cut Carpenter they will save 1.41 mil in space. I think they will aggressively go after oline if THEIR value is there in the early rounds. If not they will use the same strategy as i think they will on TE(heck they already got another oline man the packers got rid of. I think that if Carpenter could very well be a cap casualty during training camp depending on how new oline cycled through the offseason and training camps do in competition.

On the defensive side(and i think it maybe has .01111111% chance of happening)but if i'm not mistaken, mebane has about the same cap savings if let go. I think Farwell is gone. 1.5 cap savings to release him and depending on position that would be salaries for 2-3 rookie contracts

i agree about clem and rice being cut...but it also depends on how much they like it in seattle and how honest they and their agents are with themselves about the value they hold by the seattle fo compared to fo's around the league. I would love restructures that gave cap space and even maybe that could happen with Red Bryant. The stark reality is that we will probably lose more players than we would like to keep the ones the fo feels are necessary and without handicapping themselves in the draft and free agency.

seadoc30

Reaction score
I think we should use this off season to prepare and put us in a better position for next years off-season. Thats when more than half of our starters need to resigned or extended.

Now to do this, we should lets as many of our high salary seeking free agents(Bennet and Tate) this year go unless they want to resign for very cheap.

IMO, we should let go of Bennett and replace him Scruggs or Jordan Hill. Scruggs as a rookie showed some nice motor and resembles a less-experienced Bennett. Secondly, cut Clemons. He is nowhere worth 9+ million. I say move Irvin back to the DE/Leo position (with M.Smith full time starter at LB), but make Avril the full time starter replacing Clemons. For this, we need Bryant to be here and play the run downs.

So, the starters will be Bryant, Mebane, McDanials(resign), Avril. Primary subs will be Irvin, Scruggs, and Jordan Hill.

I think this will work. Will there be a drop off at pressuring the QB? Yes, but I believe once these guys start clicking, they can be as productive. But most importantly, we will save a lot of money, which we desperately need for the following year to resign/extend RW, Thomas, Sherman, KJ and the dozen of others.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think you're missing one pretty major point. How exactly are you planning to pay one Russell Wilson next season if you lock just about everybody into a long term deal?

two dog

Reaction score
RussJames":1ft34yny said:
niveky":1ft34yny said:
they will keep McGrath to compete in training camp.

Stopped reading here.

If you keep McGrath, you're going to have make a deal with Kansas City to get him back.

Unless they cut him and didn't send me the memo.

RussJames

Reaction score
FREE AGENTS TO RE-SIGN
Michael Bennett, Golden Tate
Doug Baldwin, Steven Hauschka

FREE AGENTS POSSIBLY RE-SIGNED ON SMALL SALARY
Clinton McDonald, Tony McDaniel, Walter Thurmond, Breno Giacomini,
O'Brien Schofield, Tarvaris Jackson, Jeron Johnson, Mike Morgan, Anthony McCoy

FREE AGENTS RELEASED OR SIGNED ON MINIMUM SALARY
Michael Robinson, Chris Maragos, Lemuel Jeanpierre,
Kellen Davis, Paul McQuistan, Brandon Browner

PLAYERS POSSIBLY CUT OR RESTRUCTURED TO FREE UP CAP (in order)
1.) Sidney Rice 2.) Chris Clemons 3.) Red Bryant 4.) Zach Miller 5.) Carpenter, Farwell, Gresham

That's how I see things at the moment, and I think most people would agree. There's really not too much more you can add at this point
in the offseason, is there? The one thing that's guaranteed is that nothing will be guaranteed. There will be at least one surprising move
that people won't be expecting and probably won't like too much; especially with guys like Thomas, Sherman, and Wilson in line for there
payday.

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Tical21":19275mxs said:
I think you're missing one pretty major point. How exactly are you planning to pay one Russell Wilson next season if you lock just about everybody into a long term deal?

Well by the time we renegotiate with Wilson (which doesn't have to be next season and could be after the 2015 season), guys with big salaries will be coming off the books - Mebane, Okung, Miller, Lynch who by themselves would pay for Wilson easily. That and the salary cap should be higher starting next offseason when it is linked to the revenue from the new TV deals.

Basically, we have to move from paying positions like RB, LT and TE and pay the QB on the offensive side of the ball. On defense, at the end of the day we are going to pay DBs and pass rushers big coin.

Locking up key free agents (Tate and Bennett), especially our own underrated ones, means we don't have to hunt on the free agent market for big names and overpay people. Tate is better than basically every free agent WR especially when considering the cost/benefit.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Did I read that right? Harvin will get an INCREASE of $8.5m

Christ alive.

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":34t243w2 said:
That was a well thought out post. Good work TDOT

Thanks. I was looking for a good breakdown of all the major numbers and just couldn't find anything consolidated with increasing salary numbers and all. I just wanted to give a big picture that can be referred back to.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1zgaxqo3 said:
Here are some thoughts on how I think this offseason will play out.

Before all the free agency hoopla one thing to keep in mind is increases in salaries which will not be cut:

Percy Harvin 8.5m
Cliff Avril 5.5m
Earl Thomas 2.5m
Kam Chanceloor 2m
Russell Okung 1.7m

Total increases: 20.2m

There are also two free agents who we may not re-sign which would lead to some cap relief.

Paul McQuistan 3.4m
Breno Giacomini 4.8m
Michael Benett 4.8m

I am on the side that we don't re-sign Breno at that kind of money (or at all) based on injuries and us drafting a replacement. I won't add Bennett in as I will discuss him later.

Total Savings: 8.2m

Net Salary Increases 12m

To make this up 2 players will be cut with almost 100% certainty. Cap hit - Dead Money - Net

Chris Clemons 9.7 - 2.2 - 7.5m
Sidney Rice 9.7 - 2.4 - 7.3m

Total net savings 14.8m

Net cap room created 2.8m

Offseason Moves

1a) Michael Bennett

To simplify things for Michael Bennett - his 4.8 million salary is off the books so in order to pay him around 7m next year we just need to add in the net savings from Clemons and Rice to get up to 7.6m. This is why I am basically certain that we will re-sign Bennett if number of years doesn't become the sticking point. So with increases, cutting Rice, Clemons and letting McQuistan and Breno walk - we get to keep Bennett and I am almost certain we keep Bennett.

1b) Earl Thomas extension

Earl is set to have a cap hit of 5.5m this year. Extending him this year would probably keep that number in line and give us the security of Earl for years to come (who I think is more important than Sherman for a number of reasons). As such, an extension for Earl this season, to me, is a no-brainer. It won't cost us a dime and will allow us to better go into negotiations with Sherman and Wilson with greater certainty.

2) Red Bryant

Although a fan favourite, we could save 5.5m by cutting him this year. He will make a roster bonus of 3m sometime in March so we will know for sure by then but I really don't see us paying him, Mebane, Avril and Bennett. I think if we re-sign Bennett - the writing is on the wall for Red and we should know that fairly quickly. We could also trade him but his contract probably would not attract many buyers as he can't rush the passer (and 3-4 ends typically don't make 8m).

Net savings 5.5m

3) Golden Tate

With the extra money from cutting Red Bryant we could certainly re-sign Golden Tate. Whether we should we re-sign Golden Tate is a whole other issue. But I think if we can keep his cap hit between 4-6m/year over 4 years - we should do it. I predict we will get this deal done and a first year cap hit of around 4m (which would go up with time). He is super durable and very underrated.

Cap hit 4m

4) Free agency

So that leaves us 1.5m to play with and our only real glaring need is on the offensive line. We may pick up a veteran tackle but otherwise we won't be big players in free agency.

5) Draft

There are two places I think we draft high this year - OL and TE. We are not going to re-sign some veterans so we will need an injection of talent along the offensive line. We will also be looking to the futures of Zach Miller and Russell Okung who are huge against the cap and may need to be changed in the coming years for extensions for Wilson and Sherman.

6) Sherman extension

A Sherman extension this year could occur if one of two things happen - we don't re-sign Tate or we cut Zach Miller. I don't see either happening as that would leave us too thin on the offensive side of the ball. Moreover, Sherm would be a fairly big cap jump this year - and in the life cycle of the NFL - why pay a guy quicker than you need to? How could his value possibly go up further?
At worst we Franchise Tag him next year. Moreover, I think it would spread our brain trust too thin. I think this is our #1 priority next season and it will be structured with Wilson's looming extension in 2015.

Conclusion

Walk (or cheap re-sign): Giacomini, Mcquistan

Sign: Benett, Tate

Cut: Rice, Clemons, Bryant

Extend: Thomas

Draft: At least one OL and TE early

I like some of the ideas here, but we need to not start getting fancy with the numbers. By fancy I mean where you are talking about cap savings vs. cap costs. What players made last year vs this year is irrelevant to the conversation. Each year is counted upon itself and last year's numbers no longer mean anything. What it ends up doing is confusing the average fan. It's much simpler to take a look at where we sit now and where we can save. Where we sit now is at around $2 million under the cap but with less than the minimum roster players signed, so figuring in a handful of signees to get the roster back to the 51 counted, we are basically sitting at the cap right now. That is considering all the current contracts at their current value and estimating for the 6 unsigned roster spaces.

We can't really move forward with the contracts the way they are written for the upcoming season. If we want to sign any free agents (including out own) we need to cut or restructure enough to make the signings fit under the cap. I think Sherman said it best after our Super Bowl win when he said that although he'd love to play with all the same guys next year, he understands this is a business and that some won't be able to stay.

We do have the flexibility to move forward with our nucleus in tact. Of course each fans view of what constitutes a nucleus will be different so we'll hear people bemoan some of the moves we will have to make (like what happened last off season when we cut guys like Washington & Robinson etc.). I think you have touched on some good starter points and there will be some hard decisions made, but I truly believe that if we keep our nucleus intact (For me this includes Lynch, Wilson, Harvin on offense & the Legion of Boom on defense) we will be ok. I've braced myself to lose some guys who I really like (Clemons, Miller, Rice) if they don't restructure, but I believe we can overcome some losses and still be strong for years to come