San Diego Tribune Hawk Love: NFL's Sun is Rising in the West

RedAlice

Reaction score
Some love for the Hawks from the San Diego Union-Tribune:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Feb/14/seahawks-niners-chargers-raiders/?#article-copy

And one of the best quotes from the article:

"A note to Niners fans who know Freddie Solomon from John Taylor: Embrace the close-misses. They build character. You’d become smug after the five Super Bowl wins from 1981 through 1995. Friends won’t admit it, but you made them into Seahawks fans. You're on the road to tolerable."

Happy

Reaction score
RedAlice":2zn6jj76 said:

"A note to Niners fans who know Freddie Solomon from John Taylor: Embrace the close-misses. They build character. You’d become smug after the five Super Bowl wins from 1981 through 1995. Friends won’t admit it, but you made them into Seahawks fans. You're on the road to tolerable."

Yeah that's pretty epic. good find.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Nice find! My favorite line:

San Diego guy":6hhf16bh said:
The Seahawks have more personality than the last 15 Patriots teams combined.
Indeed they do. Indeed they do. And that's why this region's gone so bananas for these guys.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Nice little article. Fresh angle with some good humor. I hadn't even paid attention to the fact that it's been 19 years for the West Coast.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":3aor6vak said:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Feb/14/seahawks-niners-chargers-raiders/?#article-copy

Hey RedAlice, isn't that pic in your avatar of when the Rams were in L.A.?
It took me a long time to adjust to their picking up, and moving :mrgreen:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3r10zhjg said:
Speaking of St. Louis teams moving West, please go back home to L.A., Rams! Thank you. Signed, Smugly.
Agreed! Shorter travel distance for our Seahawks. :)

86Hawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jsl7210 said:
Smelly McUgly":2jsl7210 said:
Speaking of St. Louis teams moving West, please go back home to L.A., Rams! Thank you. Signed, Smugly.
Agreed! Shorter travel distance for our Seahawks. :)
Yep. One less 10 am game for me to wake up for on a weekend. :)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rwmjydjz said:
Smelly McUgly":rwmjydjz said:

It's going to happen soon, the Rams owner just purchased 60 acres of land in Inglewood.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/stor ... os-angeles

Yeah but it could very likely be a ploy to get the city involved. He can always sell the land if they get a stadium deal worked out. I hope I am wrong but it is probably just a shot across the bow to get their attention. Hopefully their to stupid to realize it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I hope like hell it happens. L.A. should have a team, it's closer for us, and it'd be one less 10am game every year. It's literally nothing but win-win-win for Seahawks fans if they move the Rams back to L.A.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2d8ju7ct said:
Sgt. Largent":2d8ju7ct said:
Smelly McUgly":2d8ju7ct said:

It's going to happen soon, the Rams owner just purchased 60 acres of land in Inglewood.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/stor ... os-angeles

Yeah but it could very likely be a ploy to get the city involved. He can always sell the land if they get a stadium deal worked out. I hope I am wrong but it is probably just a shot across the bow to get their attention. Hopefully their to stupid to realize it.

I don't really understand what you're talking about. This isn't the 70's, city's no longer have the resources nor the political backing by voters to pay for 100% of stadium deals where they buy the land, pass bonds to build the stadium and run the facility.

Now it has to be more the Chris Hansen approach, where the owner/investors do all the purchasing and pay for the majority of costs to get their stadiums and arenas built.

Kroenke didn't purchase the land to "send a message" to anyone. He either did it because he wants to opt out of his lease agreement at the Edward Jones Dome at the end of 2014 and move the team back to LA.........or he did it as leverage to sweeten the deal in St. Louis for the next lease agreement.

NINEster

Reaction score
RedAlice":2txgna6n said:

Two things are left out:

1) I'm not sure SD has forgotten about Super Bowl 29
2) When you have 4+ trophies, your fanbase by default becomes a bit smug.

Giants, Packers, 49ers, Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys.......what do they all have in common? 4+ Lombardis and fans who are a bit spoiled with their fortunate pedigree.

Contrast to the the darlings in Kansas City, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Atlanta etc. and you see the difference. Just to prove the point, look at baseball fans of those same cities, and you'll see similar behavior only if the team has had the same success.

Look at the huge change in perception ALREADY with Saints and Seahawks fans, at just one grand trophy a piece. Prior to 2005, these teams were on nobody's hatred radar except in their respective divisions. Now, not so much.

Hate the bandwagon, but tolerate the elitism. Lost in all of this are the 49er fans who swallow extremely tough losses in 9 NFC champ games and 1 super bowl to give credit to the other team.

It's annoying when just about EVERY fan base hates you, but then you look at the bigger picture and realize it's the only way to be.

OP
OP
RedAlice

RedAlice

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1a5b9w2z said:
RedAlice":1a5b9w2z said:

Hey RedAlice, isn't that pic in your avatar of when the Rams were in L.A.?
It took me a long time to adjust to their picking up, and moving :mrgreen:

No. My Avi is of Quinn this year when they wore the thow backs. TBH, the blue and yellow is most associated with the GSOT which is also St. Louis time frame. I associate the Blue & White with L.A.

And If St. Louis is smart, which who knows, they will go back to the Blue & White when they make a new stadium. If they ever do. Else, it will be LA christening the same.

Rams are either Blue & Yellow, or Blue & White. Hate this whatever the stupid color is they have now.