Stadium Expansion?

47degreesn

Reaction score
I remember there was talk in the past about the possible expansion of Clink for more seats. Is there an update on this? Is it going to happen?

86Hawk

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing. They were saying they would be behind the 12th man flag. Around 3000 seats. Haven't heard anything since October. Hopefully it's still happening.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I believe the talk was raising the capacity to levels that qualify the stadium to host superbowls. 70k required iirc.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You would think this would likely happen now that we've won a Superbowl.

Teams' popularity usually goes up after the big win, and we've been selling out since they opened Seahawks stadium/Qwest/CLink.

It's not like we wouldn't fill it up.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'm not sure about recent stadium expansion talk, but I'm pretty darn sure I remember that the stadium was designed and built with the capacity for future expansion. If a Super Bowl bid is in the works, then I would guess it could happen, sooner rather than later.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I hope they can figure out a way to get some bigger jumbotrons in there. Biggest downside for the CLink in my opinion. Not sure it would be possible. They are pretty well integrated into the design right now.

chris98251

Reaction score
The stadium is already set to exceed the capacity requirement, it was in the design and documented as so. They can do it at will if they choose to compete for a Super Bowl and get accepted as a host.

Jville

Reaction score
The source said the addition would be in the south end zone, where the "12th Man" flag is raised before each game. There is a break in the seating on the 300 level behind the flag that would be filled in.

It's also possible the added fans would increase the din in the building by more than the sounds of their voices. One of the proposals is for the seats to be metal bleachers, like those already in place in the "Hawks' Nest" on the opposite end of the stadium. Fans in that end zone stomp on the bleachers to create more noise, particularly when the opposing team is backed up near its own goal line.
[urltargetblank]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seattle-seahawks-consider-adding-2000-to-3000-more-seats-to-centurylink-field-100313[/urltargetblank]

While the Seahawks' run of completely sold-out, packed and loud crowds certainly is the primary driving factor of proposed expansion, it is likely that the Sounders are a significant factor as well. The Sounders' average attendance has increased every year, and Rave Green-clad fans have shown they can completely sell-out the stadium under the right conditions.
[urltargetblank]http://www.sounderatheart.com/latest-news/2013/10/3/4801324/centurylink-field-might-add-a-few-thousand-more-seats-in-2014[/urltargetblank]
An extra 3,000 seats would certainly fill a need. The Seahawks have sold out 87-straight home games, including the playoffs, dating to 2003. There are also about 12,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets after this past offseason’s franchise-record 98 percent renewal rate.
[urltargetblank]http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013/10/03/report-seahawks-may-add-more-seats-to-centurylink-field/#2926101=0[/urltargetblank]

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
If they put seats behind the 12th man flag, would those be obstructed view seats? Also, in regards to a Superbowl bid, I see the biggest drawback in our stadium to be the relatively narrow concourses compared to other stadiums, as well as the lack of escalators (why they didn't put these in in the first place is beyond me).

Jville

Reaction score
As I read it, the 12th man flag would need to be moved.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Jville":2h6gnou3 said:
As I read it, the 12th man flag would need to be moved.

The rumor I had heard was that they'd put the flag at the top of the structure in the south end zone, probably with an elevator and separate platform up there so that the dignitaries could easily get up there to raise the flag.

BTW, I think that location would ROCK. The higher flagpole would ensure that the flag would catch a breeze or gust and be nice and visible right at the raising... with the current position occasionally the flag goes up and hangs limp. I hate that. Also the fans would get to interact with the raising in a really awesome way... I could see people wanting seats at the top of the south end zone so they could be near the flag and get to see all the awesome flag raisers each home game.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
My estimate from the beginning of design time to completion ready for occupancy would be about 2.5 years at best. Perhaps, there has been some "behind the scenes" background work which would speed things up.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":8wzlr4gw said:
My estimate from the beginning of design time to completion ready for occupancy would be about 2.5 years at best. Perhaps, there has been some "behind the scenes" background work which would speed things up.

Its already done, it was built to accomadate a possible Super Bowl, they would just have to get permits and construct, probably add additional updates as well, Paul Likes his new shiny things also.

Someday they will have virtual seats where you can see a game from a stadium perspective and still be at home. I don't think it's that far off.

Skottt

Reaction score
chris98251":33p4qgep said:
Someday they will have virtual seats where you can see a game from a stadium perspective and still be at home. I don't think it's that far off.

Why would anyone want that? That's combining the worst parts of those two experiences. You lose the atmosphere by not being at the stadium, it's not possible to replicate that at home. And you wouldn't get the view of each play you get from watching the regular TV broadcast. :Dunno:

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the reason why they didnt make the capacity SB compliant right from the start? Seems a negligible amount (3k) to stop short of.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":23qri0jw said:
Can anyone tell me the reason why they didnt make the capacity SB compliant right from the start? Seems a negligible amount (3k) to stop short of.

does seem weird but back when it was built the idea of a SB hosting in Seattle would have seemed pretty far fetched. So they probably went with a design in mind and the option to add the seats built in if that possibility every changed. With the team almost leaving town not long before they probably also wanted to avoid any further risk to blackout rules taking affect.

Jville

Reaction score
Skottt":yfpu0m1g said:
chris98251":yfpu0m1g said:

Why would anyone want that? That's combining the worst parts of those two experiences. You lose the atmosphere by not being at the stadium, it's not possible to replicate that at home. And you wouldn't get the view of each play you get from watching the regular TV broadcast. :Dunno:

Skottt ..... it would appear you and I are not in the same lofty income bracket as chris98251.

chris is referring to a full blown simulator suitable for one's garage .... complete with mega speakers and amplifiers ...... a vibrating stadium seat and sub floor ...... and arsenal of bottled odors ..... beer and soda sprayers ....... the works.

Of course the lawyers are involved, so there are details to be worked out about the away game experience. You know ..... vulgar language ..... spit ..... physical beatings ..... those sorts of things.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hey you all forgot they made the surround sound simulators and vibration systems that sold commercially for a while after some of them were in Movie theaters.

Fiberoptic systems with virtual enviroment isn't that far fetched. Costly now, but with 3d graphic Televisons now it's not that far into the future. If the NFL can sell it as a virtual stadium seat fro profit I can see it happening.

You could have a series of micro cameras installed with fiber feeds at one of the level seperations that rotate 180 and 90 degrees, give you range of vision and sound is easy.