Jordan Gross or Breno?

2_0_6

Reaction score
If Breno lands a bigger deal with another team that the Hawks wont match, what do you think about Jordan Gross? If Breno does leave, I would really like to keep a seasoned guy in at the RT spot as opposed to trying to plug a Rookie in there..

Thoughts?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Lynch seems to have an incredible relationship with Breno. Breno is Marshawn's goon, lol. We see ML hand the ball to Breno after TDs and during the parade, saw Breno waving Lynch's 24 jersey.

But I am unsure how much longer we will keep Marshawn, so this has to be considered as well.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Jordan Gross is a little long in the tooth and will likely command a bigger salary, so pass. I'd like to give Bailey a shot or draft a guy.

amill87

Reaction score
I'm almost convinced Breno is gone.

Bowie or Bailey will likely be our new starting RT next year. We gotta save money wherever possible and I'm sure either one of those guys can handle the job

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hopefully Breno but if he does leave Gross probably could be a good option if the price is right

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Gross has already said he is either going to retire or re-sign with the Panthers. Regardless, this regime has no interest in bringing in twilight veterans who are well into their 30's, to play key roles. They're always going to go with youth and upside.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I wanted us to sign Gross back in 2006 (I believe) when he was going to be a free agent. He was really good then, but that was 7 years ago. That should tell you that hes been around a while and he is not what he used to be.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":28eodysu said:
Gross has already said he is either going to retire or re-sign with the Panthers. Regardless, this regime has no interest in bringing in twilight veterans who are well into their 30's, to play key roles. They're always going to go with youth and upside.

milloy, winfield, TO say hi. Granted they might not stick, but idk how you can say they have no interest. Come for cheap and earn a spot and they will give you a chance unless we dont need them, and we will need olineman of some sort even if its just for depth.

Gross is a name ive been thinking about myself. Sure more names will pop up as teams make cap decisions as well.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Breno is probably the most under appreciated guy on the team.

Too many people let the penalties at the start of last season stick in their memory bank.

We've got to re-sign him IMO. Consistency on the OL is the most important thing and we don't have a bad group when they're all healthy.

There's got to be a deal to be done here.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":1255jc7n said:
NorthDallas40oz":1255jc7n said:

milloy, winfield, TO say hi. Granted they might not stick, but idk how you can say they have no interest. Come for cheap and earn a spot and they will give you a chance unless we dont need them, and we will need olineman of some sort even if its just for depth.

Gross is a name ive been thinking about myself. Sure more names will pop up as teams make cap decisions as well.
Tell 'em all Hi back. Milloy had already been here a year before Carroll and Schneider arrived. TO was nothing more than camp fodder when the Hawks were desperate for warm/healthy bodies at the WR position. And Winfield was signed for a specific role (nickel slot corner) after grading out as PFF's #1 overall CB in 2012. So yes, I can easily say that Pete and John have no interest in signing 33 year old vets with highly diminished skills for starting roles because there's zero precedent for them having done so, and because they've made it clear time and again that their personnel philosophy is to build through the draft, develop from within, and prioritize youth and upside.

Again, Gross has already said he is either going to retire or re-sign with the Panthers, so this whole debate is moot anyway.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":h7g4offk said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":h7g4offk said:
NorthDallas40oz":h7g4offk said:

Tell 'em all Hi back. Milloy had already been here a year before Carroll and Schneider arrived. TO was nothing more than camp fodder when the Hawks were desperate for warm/healthy bodies at the WR position. And Winfield was signed for a specific role (nickel slot corner) after grading out as PFF's #1 overall CB in 2012. So yes, I can easily say that Pete and John have no interest in signing 33 year old vets with highly diminished skills for starting roles because there's zero precedent for them having done so, and because they've made it clear time and again that their personnel philosophy is to build through the draft, develop from within, and prioritize youth and upside.

Again, Gross has already said he is either going to retire or re-sign with the Panthers, so this whole debate is moot anyway.

So because you can come up with reasons they were on the team it means it doesnt count as having any interest in them? Im not sure how that makes sense. If its happened before im pretty sure theres precedent for them doing so.....

I think your point is they just dont have very much interest in signing old vets, and I agree with you. And I also agree their philosophy is to build through the draft, which is smart. But they definitely have kicked tires on vets, so it would be false for you to say theres no chance of them doing so again whether its with gross (probably not) or any other lineman that end up as FAs.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have kicked tires on Vets building, now that we have been assembled I would look to grabbing guys from FA that are back ups or PS guys. We are now in sustaining mode and most the guys we have are step in models unless it for a specific need. I think it's also why we have moved players around on the line so much also, make them comfortable in any roll, even when they play a specific side or position better.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think you have to either keep Giacomini, give it to Bowie, or go to the draft. Another vet on a vet contract does'nt make sense for the cap IMO.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd like to bring back every single player if we could but I understand it doesn't work that way. Every line coach I've ever spoken with has told me that continuity and familiarity is the key. Bring him back if we can. If we can't well ..we lost key players through out the season and marched on so just about every one on this club can be replaced. Heck we lost Sherm in the super bowl and the most explosive offence in history still couldn't move the ball.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If I had to choose and just pay one, I would choose Breno over Tate... 2 years, 8 million... sounds about right... luckily there is a Tackle market this year, his injury, and his reputation will make him all but completely invisible in this free agency.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3ncqet8o said:
Breno is probably the most under appreciated guy on the team.

We've got to re-sign him IMO. Consistency on the OL is the most important thing and we don't have a bad group when they're all healthy.
Well said.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":8uxq54k1 said:
NorthDallas40oz":8uxq54k1 said:

All 3 of those guys came on short term, near minimum deals. Gross is going to be paid as a top 5 RT, with that in mind I think the team will pass on him.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":w8jdc5a7 said:
All 3 of those guys came on short term, near minimum deals. Gross is going to be paid as a top 5 RT, with that in mind I think the team will pass on him.

not once will you ever be able to find me quoted as to saying pay any vet big money to come here. any argument about signing vets is purely on speculation that if they indeed do come here, it would be cheap ring chasing. not to mention gross apparently doesnt want to leave carolina, and is pondering retirement, so in the snowballs chance in hell he came here, it wouldnt be for long anyways. but to clarify further, i dont expect him to sign here. just interesting to ponder what names are possibly available.

Latest posts