No Wonder We Draft So Good!

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
This might be something a lot of you already know but it also might be new to some like it was to me. Well today I found out about our current senior personnel executive Scot McCloughan. Turns out he was the niners GM that built what the niners are today. Check out the players he drafted or aquired while he was the main man there :Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald., Michael Crabtree, Ahmad Brooks and Dashon Goldson. No matter how much we hate the niners we have to admit those are some damn good players. Since hes been with the Seahawks in 2010 we have drafted Russell Okung, Earl Thomas, Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, and Kam Chancellor to name a few, compared to the very few good picks in San Francisco. Sure Trent Baalke has drafted Aldon Smith and Kaepernick but they were high picks. He hasnt really had any great picks in later rounds. Apparently there is still some bad blood between McCloughan and the niners to this day relating to his departure but it is obvious that he built that team not Baalke and Harbaugh.

All this gets me to a few points I would like to make. One, before we hail Pete Carroll and John Schneider as the greatest ever for their draft magic lets recognize the other magician we have that helped us build this great team ( and the one we hate). Im not taking any credit away from John and Pete but just giving some to Scot. And also before we all get our panties in a bunch because we cant keep all our players due to the salary cap lets remember who we have drafting and how good his resume is. Something tells me hes gonna keep them coming and with that we should all be happy for a little longer.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Crabtree huh? So him drafting mediocre receivers, appetiser receivers if you will, pre dates his time with us then ;)

drdiags

Reaction score
I thought Scott came after the first draft? One of the reasons probably that Will Lewis moved on. I am pretty sure he was shown the door a few months before the 9ers drafted in 2010 if I am not mistaken. I guess I am going to have to take your word on things until I go refresh my memory.

This is the same claim 9ers fans were making on the ESPN sites, that Scott was running the Seahawks draft and that isn't true in my eyes. He was a consultant for awhile, more like a safe harbor after losing his job in San Fran. I think when Lewis left his influence was spreading but I wouldn't give him a lion's share of the credit. He did not have any input on the 2010 draft but that is just my opinion.

EDIT:

According to this article, Scott was hired by the Seahawks in 2010. He was fired 5 weeks before the 2010 draft

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...-49ers-and-had-them-built-right-when-he-left/

If you want more about McCloughan and his relationship with the 49ers, I spoke to McCloughan at length in September 2010–right after he took the job with the Seahawks.