Russell Wilson Signs a $1 Contract (supposition)

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Now ask yourself - if he signed a contract for $1 and freed up all that cash for the team to be dominant for years, would he in the long-run earn more money from endorsements while also racking up more SB's?

Guaranteed money today or rolling the dice for being at the top of the greatest dynasty in history during the salary cap era as well as cash flowing out of your ears from endorsements ala Jordan?

themunn

Reaction score
No he wouldn't and no he couldn't - the NFLPA wouldn't allow it

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Not a chance. There are no guarantees in this business. His career could be over tomorrow.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
That's ridiculous.

The team should pay him what he's worth when they are able to negotiate with him. And make no mistake... the NFL is a brutal business and the day that Wilson is no longer effective for us, you'd better believe the team's going to replace him. He should get whatever guaranteed money he can while he can. That's not to say that he should try and hold the team over a barrel and ask for the moon. But he's a SB-winning QB and the proven leader of this team. That's a damn rare commodity, and any suggestions that we can somehow remain contenders by shorting that commodity are asinine.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
okay-let's say league minimum then. It still doesn't change anything. It would leave the team piles of cap space

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Another one of these?

Wilson can't do a new deal til next year, and he deserves every penny his agent gets him when that time comes. He ALSO deserves every penny his agent can get from endorsements.
Fans who imply in any way that football players in an industry where they are one play from paralysis should take less money are selfish, and have no faith that the front office that built the team can adequately replace players as they need to.

Tom Brady took less money this year so his team could re-sign Welker. Welker left anyway. Tom took one for the team, then ended up with a scrap heap of players to throw to for most of the year. He should have just taken all the money he could get.

Throwdown

Reaction score
RIght now I"m more worried about getting ET and Sherm locked up.

I got a really good feeling that Russell is the kind of guy that knows the importance of team.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
First this is supposition, so I'm not selfish for asking the question. We have months until a game comes back on again so chill out buddy.

Second, Lebron earned $17 million on court and $40 million of court. Jordan is making $80 million every year right now. Think about the stir RW would credit if he signed for the league minimum. He would instantly be the most talked about sports player in America. It would be a genius move in my opinion. But it would also be a huge risk since it could all come crashing down in one play.

Here are a list of NBA players and their endorsement for comparison
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45lkjd/1-kobe-bryant-4/

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I think he will sign a fair and equitable deal. The FO would ask for nothing less themselves so I think when the time comes his deal w/ be relatively easy to get done.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2n7gi8d8 said:
First this is supposition, so I'm not selfish for asking the question. We have months until a game comes back on again so chill out buddy.

Second, Lebron earned $17 million on court and $40 million of court. Jordan is making $80 million every year right now. Think about the stir RW would credit if he signed for the league minimum. He would instantly be the most talked about sports player in America. It would be a genius move in my opinion. But it would also be a huge risk since it could all come crashing down in one play.

Here are a list of NBA players and their endorsement for comparison
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45lkjd/1-kobe-bryant-4/

First off, Wilson is already one of the most talked about sports players in America. Dude just won the SB.

And second, here is why it's absolutely stupid to compare NBA contracts and NFL contracts:

"About 90 percent of all NBA contracts are fully guaranteed for payment on the day that they are signed by the player. That player simply needs to show up for work and he'll get paid. He can lose his skill, be out of shape or for whatever reason perform poorly, yet his contract is secure. By comparison, only a small portion of NFL contracts are guaranteed at signing, mostly for the star players, and many of those long-term deals can be modified in the outer years, and players can be cut."

brendonkuhn

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1vrskrgl said:
Now ask yourself - if he signed a contract for $1 and freed up all that cash for the team to be dominant for years, would he in the long-run earn more money from endorsements while also racking up more SB's?

Guaranteed money today or rolling the dice for being at the top of the greatest dynasty in history during the salary cap era as well as cash flowing out of your ears from endorsements ala Jordan?

Fan perspective looks at ONLY what's best for the team, you would not think this way if YOU were signing the contract. Stop suggesting this people!

And I see zero scenario where a 5 mil contract + endorsements could be greater than 18 mil contract + endorsements. You're valuing taking a smaller contract at 10s of millions PER YEAR to make that more financially worth it for Russell.

The only way I see any level of discount is if the contract is 90% guaranteed dollars. I'm more than happy to be wrong on this, but I think it's wrong for fans to dream up scenarios to make it work, Russell deserves to be paid.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
brendonkuhn":31n9tgr4 said:
falcongoggles":31n9tgr4 said:

Fan perspective looks at ONLY what's best for the team, you would not think this way if YOU were signing the contract. Stop suggesting this people!

And I see zero scenario where a 5 mil contract + endorsements could be greater than 18 mil contract + endorsements. You're valuing taking a smaller contract at 10s of millions PER YEAR to make that more financially worth it for Russell.

The only way I see any level of discount is if the contract is 90% guaranteed dollars. I'm more than happy to be wrong on this, but I think it's wrong for fans to dream up scenarios to make it work, Russell deserves to be paid.

Suggestion would include me saying, "I think" or "he should" I just threw a question out there in the OP to generate conversation. Just to be clear, I think RW will sign an equitable contract with this team and I will have problem with it.

Have some imagination people, gracious

Penman96

Reaction score
There's a major debate about this on another thread already, and it's purely speculative since they can't even discuss a contract extension until after next season. Even if he's not extended in 2015 (and he will be) he wouldn't be a FA until 2016.

Suffice to say however I agree that an equitable deal will get done. PC is loyal to his guys, Russ wants to play here, and the team wants to structure cap room so they keep winning. Something good will get done - the process will not be adversarial.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Oh Geez...How many of these worthless RW contract discussions are going to have to bear for the next two years?? Give it a rest!!

Seeker

Reaction score
Just have paul slide him a bag of money on his doorsteps. off the books, same money. everybody wins.

Basis4day

Reaction score
This came up a week or two ago. Football players don't make as much money as you think on endorsements.

Tom Brady made an estimated 7 million dollars in endorsements. Remember who he is married to. His Wife makes A LOT more money than him.
Aaron Rodgers: 6 million in endorsements
Joe Flacco: 850,000 in endorsements
Tony Romo 3 million in endorsements

There isn't enough money to make up the difference in the player's market value. QB's make a lot more money on contracts than they do endorsements.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000210472

McGruff

Reaction score
falcongoggles":3byjuz5e said:

Wilson is getting endorsement regardless of the contract he signs . . .

And while Wilson isn't greedy, he is generous. The more money he earns, the more he can give away.

Latest posts