RB situation (Lynch and Michael)

Crizilla

Reaction score
Lynch has 2 years left in his contract. Should we keep him after thats over? (he'll be 29). Running backs typically don't last as long as other players in this league. Michael will be 25 and ready to unleash his own version of beast mode. Do we keep Turbin or Lynch as his back up? This of course only happens if Michael becomes starter material. But I really think we are going to see a lot more of him these next 2 seasons just in case if we do move on from Lynch in 2 years, Michael will be ready. I really can't wait to see this guy play.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, Lynch went over 400 touches this year. That's a very ominous number. Not a lot of RB's are able to handle that load and there is a very clear pattern of RB's falling off pretty severely the following year. I think that could be a good reason they held Cmike out this year.

Edit: Just went back and checked and it was 399 through the superbowl. Still a significant number.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Factor in that MRob is no spring chicken either. Our Backfield will need to be addressed in the next few years.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Fullbacks aren't in the same conversation as Tailbacks in terms of age. If it weren't for a neck injury M. Strong could have played for several more years.

We are fine at RB...Turbin is no Lynch but who is...he's a unique player. C. Micharl is no Lynch either but who is...next year we are good at RB.

Way more things to worry about than RB...like signing or restructuring a ton of contracts.

OP
OP
Crizilla

Crizilla

Reaction score
I know we are fine next year. I'm talking about when lynches contract is done

chihawk

Reaction score
We will know more once we get to see Michael some more, but I don't see them giving Lynch a significant contract (length wise) after this one is over. That would be stupid. It looks like they may have a capable replacement on the roster and with the workload that Lynch has been getting over the years the chances that he will be able to hold up and be effective much longer after he is 29 is very very slim. I think there is also a good chance that he retires at that point.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think Lynch retires when his contract is up. Lynch just signed with some major sponsors and will look to cash in on the superbowl victory becuase he is a smart business man so i expect Lynch to play out his contract. No way the hawks re-sign Marshawn he has alot of miles on him and they have too much young talent in line behind Lynch to do that if he did want to keep playing. Marshawn Lynch will retire as the greatest seahawks RB of all time in my opinion because his running style could only be matched by Earl Cambell no one else in NFL history has ran with the "BEAST MODE" style.

Christine Michael will be a part of the game plan next year if he has improved on his vision of reading the blocks like the way Turbin improved this year. Michael and Harvin are the most explosive athletes on the team so he could take the two spot behind Lynch from Turbin. But I expect it to be more of a platoon backfield by design becuase i don't think Seattle wants to do to Lynch what the Falcons did to Michael Turner wear him down to the nub then unceramoniously cut him. Pete Carroll has alot of respect and love for what Lynch's physicality has brought to the team.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":munw6x6y said:
One thing to keep in mind, Lynch went over 400 touches this year. That's a very ominous number. Not a lot of RB's are able to handle that load and there is a very clear pattern of RB's falling off pretty severely the following year. I think that could be a good reason they held Cmike out this year.

Edit: Just went back and checked and it was 399 through the superbowl. Still a significant number.

A significant number indeed, but if everything pans out with our offense (Percy playing, Russell getting better, etc) than I see that number dropping in the future.

Logic would dictate that with as many carries he gets, and as violent of a runner he is, he will be pretty beaten up by that point. That said, its way too early to tell, and theres a lot of factors once thay time arrives.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If I had to guess, Turbin is now gone and Michael steps into the backup role next year. Turbin's cap hit isn't huge ($684,000), but it's an amount that can be used on a starter, so I don't see a reason to keep him unless Michael is REALLY struggling with schemes and protections. Which he shouldn't be anymore.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
CMike isn't moving up any depth chart until his pass blocking gets better.

Axx

Reaction score
Beast mode does carry the load but remember he doesn't practice.

Hawk67

Reaction score
I would like to see more Turbin next year, Running game by committee. I think Turbin is ready take on more carries.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think we keep all 3 and if Michael can get his head out, I think it entirely possible the plan is to let Lynch go after 2014. This based on both (a lot of ) money and (a lot of) miles. As awesome as he is, Lynch isn't necessarily the perfect back for Pete's / Cable's blocking scheme. Now my favorite all time Hawk back, and his is a running style I prefer, but he lacks that 1st step, initial burst that I think Pete sought out in Michael.

Regardless, I'm relieved he got his ring and some major bank, because it was Lynch that gave us our identity, IMO. I sincerely hope whenever the transition occurs, it is mutually beneficial to both team and Lynch.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hawk67":3j0cpwej said:
I would like to see more Turbin next year, Running game by committee. I think Turbin is ready take on more carries.

I agree. I think its time to go RB by comitee and smash with Lynch, Turbin, Michael and Harvin. If Harvin can be healthy I could see him getting a few snaps every game running the ball. I also think with Harvin we throw alot of short passes that act as runs.

Tokadub

Reaction score
From what little I know of Christine Michael is that we are set at Running back and I think he'll start playing next year. He is an athletic freak with the best results in multiple combine events last year including a 43'' vertical! Highlight video if you haven't ever seen him play it's worth checking out. Video gets off to a bit of a slow start but around 1 minute mark you start seeing him really doing his thing. I don't consider the opening play that big a deal since he pretty much ran off the edge for free touchdown but he's very fast and explosive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVqxFeWFoU

I have a feeling he just didn't have the right attitude with our system yet which is why he didn't get to play this year. Hopefully after sitting on the sideline for our Super Bowl he'll realize he needs to get his act together so he can be a part of this.

I think Christine Michael should take the spot of Turbin next year with even more snaps since he can make big plays and it would be wise to keep Lynch fresh and healthy for any games we are struggling.

Ideally by the time Lynch is coming up on end of contract if he is 29 years old then I think Christine Michael will be ready to be the starter (possibly he will be ready before then if Lynch slows up even the slightest bit). I'm hoping we keep Lynch as a backup though assuming he is anywhere close to his current state.

If we lighten the load on Lynch and when you consider modern training techniques and nutrition I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch is still a beast at 29 and can stay with us so that's what I'm hoping for.

chris98251

Reaction score
It is also possible they want his leg to be sound that was injured and had him working out and getting stronger to handle NFL hits. We had that luxury, along with learning how to be one cut and down hill rather then dance and spin. Took Lynch the rest of his first season here to really grasp that.

JKent82

Reaction score
If he's playing well yeah, if not no. That's quite a ways off. I'm glad we have Michael though, I'm excited to see him step into the #2 role. I wonder if Golden leaves he'd perhaps get the KR job.

Latest posts