SB XLVIII vs. NFCCG

kearly

Reaction score
Which game do you remember more fondly in retrospect? Obviously, SB XLVIII is not only the best Seahawks game ever played, it got us our first title (it was also the best single game performance by any team in any game during the entire 2013 season). But I find this question to be kind of tough because the pure drama and adrenaline of the NFCCG was so intense and amazing. As Sherman said himself, the NFCCG was the "real" SB.

86Hawk

Reaction score
The nfccg was definitely a better opponent but the hammer we laid on Denver was beautiful.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I liked the Seahawks destroying the greatest Offense ever and proving every single doubter wrong who didnt believe in what this team could accomplish.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
XVLIII for me beating the Donkeys and Manning and watching ESPN/FOX howl "Why didn't anybody see it coming?" was epic. I think some of the snow showers back east are just the collective frozen tears of the east coast bias media machine.

Denying the Niners the chance to be there definitely takes second place, but that game lived up to most logical expectations (close and hard fought till the end).

smerfy01

Reaction score
For me...just looking at the game, not the result it's easily the NFCCG. The "tip", MRob crying, the Sherman rant, 4th and 7, the comeback...it's just so hard to top the utter and complete elation of watching that clock hit zeroes.

Oddly enough, my favorite game will be the super bowl, just because that elation was spread out from 12 seconds onward through the game. So many plays. So much dominance. The first real, complete game we've really played all year and on the biggest stage no less. And hey, it feels pretty damn good to say that we put on the greatest defensive showing in super bowl history against the greatest offense to touch the turf.

But for pure memory and fondness...f*** the niners it's the NFCCG all the way. The real super bowl.

seabowl

Reaction score
The Super Bowl win has still not truly sunk in but when it does this will be the one. With that said I actually think the 2006 NFCCG was one that I was the most fond of between the 2 most recent NFCCG's that we had played because of how long we had waited to get to a bowl. The pure joy of just making the bowl in 2006 was one I will never forget. To me the only thing that tops that is winning XLVIII.

el capitan

Reaction score
I couldn't honestly say which game is more special they were both awesome for very different reasons. It's like trying pick which one of your kids is your favourite.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The NFCCG was like a beej after a year of celibacy. The SB was like a punish F with a hot yet belligerently drunk girl from the bar who thought she was playing hard to get but realistically offered up no challenge and ultimately wanted it in the end (pun intended) and then cooked you breakfast in the morning.

Which one of those is better? I dunno. They're both pretty fulfilling.

main

Reaction score
The NFC game was exciting, but winning our first super bowl will be unforgettable! Go Hawks! Thank you so much for an awesome season!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I enjoyed both games, but for different reasons. The competition in the NFCCG was obviously off-the-charts, and the realization that we were going back for another shot at the Lombardi was awesome, as were the player reactions.

The Super Bowl wasn't nearly as competitive, but I loved the many statements our team made in front of the whole country and, to a certain extent, the world. We showed just how good we are. We also showed that playing great defense is still relevant when it comes to winning championships, despite all of the rule changes. We also put a big, fat cherry on top of all of the awesome marketing Pete, John and the entire organization have done to put our brand out there. For two straight seasons, they've showed success with a particular philosophy and approach, but the ultimate validation is that ring...CHA-CHING! If the rest of the front offices and coaching staffs weren't scrambling to copy us at the end of last year, they will be now. We've really turned the league onto its collective ear.

I know a there are many who cringe at the thought of 'band-wagon' fans, but you have to start somewhere and the sheer number we've picked up over the last couple of seasons must be a staggering...and I'm SURE they were a factor in NY! There has got to be some way to estimate how much the fan base grown, but I have no clue where to look.

pmedic920

Reaction score
NFCCG for me. Because I was there, my first game at clink.
What loss would have been toughest to swallow?
A loss to Denver in the SB would have been much easier to handle than a loss to the 9ers at home for the chance at the SB.
Even in retrospect I would not trade my experience at the NFCCG for the SB, even though we won it.
I do however wish I had be there for both.
GoHawks. World champions.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
For pure game entertainment, NFCCC. For the culmination of everything you fans have endured, SB48.

I'm kind of a newbie fan to Seahawks, married into the Seahawks family, as I say. On Facebook, when all of my friends from the Midwest are boo-hooing because it was such a "boooooring" game, I've told them that SB48 was the culmination of a movie script, and if they truly understood the history leading up to it (long-suffering Seattle fans, being bullied by Denver while still in AFC, Largent v. Harden et al., the media doubters, the way the PNW has been consistently dismissed, the SB40 prison shank, etc.) and if they were truly paying attention to the media all week (Peyton is God, Seattle "can't touch dis"), then they would see that this is the perfect way to end a season.

Funny, I didn't hear too many of these friends, most of the bandwagon Cowboys fans from the Landry days, complain about SB27 being boring back in 1992 (DAL 52, BUF 17). Of course, they are playing their role perfectly in this script, falling in lock-step with the media. One of my DAL friends--the annoying one I posted on here last week--got himself unfriended for being an ass. I wasn't being petty; I'm just too old to suffer fools. He started on this line of "Well, you got a Super Bowl but we got four" garbage and "A&M was the 12th Man first!"

I told him DAL fans were the ultimate football hipsters: "Meh ... I was rooting for Super Bowl champions before it was cool in Seattle ..." or "I liked the Lombardi before it sold out and went to Seattle."

MookieB88

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":vem8dpx5 said:
The NFCCG was like a beej after a year of celibacy. The SB was like a punish F with a hot yet belligerently drunk girl from the bar who thought she was playing hard to get but realistically offered up no challenge and ultimately wanted it in the end (pun intended) and then cooked you breakfast in the morning.

Which one of those is better? I dunno. They're both pretty fulfilling.

Trust this man, he is wise beyond his years :)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The NFCCG was the 2013 season in a nutshell: Nerve-wracking, preposterous, and fulfilling.

The Super Bowl was the return of the 2012 season: Too much damn fun.

Hard to choose.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That's tough.

I'd go Superbowl because:

1. We finally got a title
2. I feel validated and a bit of a release following XL. It's hard to get back to the Big Game, but once we did, and one it, XL stings a bit less.
3. it validates the direction our team is going, and our leadership. This also points towards future success.
4. it finally validates how damned good our defense is. I'm a defensive guy, I love defense (2000 Ravens always have a soft spot along with 85 Bears for me)

NFCCG was great because we beat the Niners. It was also a better game. Thing is, it stokes the rivalry but we didn't stomp a mudhole in them like the previous 2 trips to Seattle. The last 2 games with them we barely lost to them and barely beat them. They actually might feel like they're closing the gap.

Then we crush the Broncos. It has to hurt the Niners who to a man are thinking "we couldv'e beat that Broncos team" but I think it also unnerved them; they probably have to honestly admit they couldn't have done what we did to the Broncos. Kaepernick was popping off before the SB, afterwards it's very quiet coming from the 49er camp. I've heard no players saying congrats or anything.....that's why I think it unnerved them.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Super Bowl.

NFCC was our toughest game / best opponent all season however.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Both...but for 3 reasons.
1. We beat up the 49ers in our house for the NFC CG. It was fun to see and a great game.
2. The Superb Owl was one against the pundits that dont know squat...and they were proven wrong.
3. And the most important of all....Both games the 12s showed up and represented. THAT my friends is Power.

Go Hawks.

BamKam

Reaction score
The NFCCG was the best game I have ever watched as a Seahawks fan. The Super Bowl was the funnest game I have ever watched as a Seahawks fan.

Latest posts